New Airheadz Wireless Headphones Test

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
A few people have wondered about these, so I thought I'd post my review about them.

Well, after trying out a Minelab Sov GT as a backup to my Explorer SE, I realized the Sov GT is way too different than the Explorer and I really didn't have the time to learn it since I'm still trying to learn my Explorer. So what to do with the money after selling the Sov GT? :think:

Can't remember where I saw or heard about these Airheadz Wireless headphones, but I immediately saw sense in them. The one thing that bugs me to death is my headphone cord getting tangled on my gear. I switch from right arm to left while detecting quite often and I'm always having to untangle the headphone cord in the process. The one downside I've always heard about wireless headphones is that there is a delay which as we know will not work with detecting. I read an excellent review on the Airheadz website by Kevin Hoagland from Arizona that appeared in Jan/Feb Gold Prospectors magazine and it convinced me this was worth a try.

One thing I'll say up front is that these are not cheap by ANY means. What you do get is a set of VERY high quality headphones. Same quality as the military and racing teams use. Not only is the build quality first class, but the sound is perfect too. The only other set of detecting headphones I've used are my Sunray Gold headphones and although they are nice headphones, they cannot compare to these Airheadz.

There are two different versions of the headsets. The usual over-the-head version and a slightly more expensive behind the head version that will let you wear a wide brimmed hat while detecting (good for beaches). There headphones come with a nice zippered storage bag along with a AC charger for the bluetooth transmitter and receivers. In addition to the standard items, I chose to upgrade to gel ear pads (I use the type at work and are well worth the upgrade), cotton ear pad socks to wick away sweat in the summer and washable. I also purchased the auto USB charger and long cord to use the headphones the "old" way.

So far, I've only used the system once and I can honestly say, I'm glad I bought them. It feels SOOO much better not having a cord to deal with. There is no delay in the sound coming to the headphones and the headphones themselves are SUPER comfortable.

The only thing I've found that could be improved is the plastic bluetooth receiver/transmitters. They are obviously made for something else other than detecting. They get the job done, but it would have been great to have these more integrated with the headphones. The short cables stick out more than I'd like them too. That's about all I could find that I didn't like.

So far there is only one place to get these headphones as they only have one distributor right now. Not sure if they plan to sell them elsewhere.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions concerning these by replying here or sending me a PM.

The first photo is the nice bag they come in.

IMG_0146.jpg

The headphones out of the bag. You can see the single volume knob on the right side.

IMG_0139.jpg

Quality connections and cool looking shell

IMG_0144.jpg

Cotton ear sock removed showing the gel ear pad

IMG_0140.jpg

Transmitter attached to detector with velcro

IMG_0141.jpg

Headphones set up the "old" way with long cord

IMG_0143.jpg

The receiver clips onto the back metal support band or can be worn in front shirt pocket

IMG_0142.jpg

OP
OP
Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
$393 for the version I have. I think $340 for the over-the-head style. For that you get the headphones, carry bag, receiver/transmitters w/cords and AC charger. You pay extra for the gel ear pads, ear muff socks, USB auto charger and long cord.

Can't post a link here but a google search will help. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread