What is the best detector for finding coins?

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
I am partial to Whites detectors but there are a lot of other good coin detectors out there on the market it all depends on how much you want to spend. On coil size, for trashy areas I suggest a small coil size. Check out the various post here on T'Net to see what type of coils are being used. Then visit various detectors web sites to get an idea what type of machine fits your needs.

Good luck and hope this helps

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 227
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 232
OP
OP
L

lms7652

May 19, 2006
I already have a couple detectors but I just thought I would see what other people liked. Not trying to get anything stirred up just wanted to know what others prefered for coinhunting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It's a "Ford/Chevy" question. There's too many variables. There's no one "best", because even in the conditions you give, there is room for opinion on the degrees to which you're talking about:

Ie.: "fairly trashy" can mean one amount of "trash" to one person, and another amount of "trash" to another person.

"Deeper" to one person may mean 6 or 7". To another person it'd be over 8", etc..

And are you willing to get a little more depth on silver/copper, if it means the machine doesn't excell as well in low conductor targets?

In general, for park turf, at least in CA right now, it seems that Explorers are bringing in the deepies. But you're talking an expensive machine that ...... if you're a beginner ..... may just give you headaches and ear-aches that you'll hate.

So your question is really one where you may just have to try several different types, talk to proficient hunters in your area, and decide what works best for you.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All reputable manufacturers produce superb detectors that will do an excellent job locating coins when in the hands of a competent user. The "best" is one that you are comfortable with and have used enough to be able to interpret what it is telling you.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Since I've outhunted people with "better" detectors and been outhunted by people with "lesser" detectors so many times, I'd only advise that the DD coil configurations deliver the best target separation available today and the concentric coil configurations deliver the best depth and id capability.

So you might miss a shallow good coin with a round coil and you might miss a deep small coin with a DD coil depending on nearby trash and soil conditions.

S

seger98

I like the X-terra 70, when it comes up 38, you can bet it's a dime, 42, it's a quarter. Nice machine!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with Tom. For my sites here in Sweden the Explorer also is what seems best. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread