Tejon question???????????

May 10, 2008
memphis, tn
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, TEJON, XCAL 2
ok, try to follow,,,,you get blindfolded, and dropped off anywhere in the u.s.,,,you have no idea where you are hunting,,,,ok here's the question, how can you tell if you are hunting in good or bad ground with the tejon,,,,if you are hunting in bad ground, are you making radical changes to your ground balance,,,,and how do you know if you are making these radical changes if there isnt a beginning and end to the ground balance knob,,,,they say the 12 by 10 coil penetrates bad ground better,,,,what in the world tells me, im in bad ground,,,,,and if im not in bad ground is it to my disadvantage to use the 12 by 10 coil. ive been lazy for too many years with the xlt and dfx with their automatic ground balance, and let throw this in,,,the dfx is history with me, im hanging on to the xlt, but this tejon can really find the bullets,,,,ok let me get back to what im not making any sense of,,,,ive got the idea of the dd coil thing,,,,,but what i dont have an idea of is this good ground, bad ground thing,,,,,and how you determine if you are in bad or good ground with the tejon,,,,i know this probably makes no sense and you guys are thinking,,,whos this idiot,,,,but if someone can make heads or tails out of what im asking id appreciate it,,,,and if someone wants to take the time to try to answer this for me,,,remember im an ole dumb grunt, and you have to go slow with me,,,,,semper fi, doug culp

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
marinecorpsgrunt I can't answer your question but I just wanted to point out that there is a category called "Metal Detector Reviews - By Owner!" and a subcategory "Minelab". If you post the same question in that section of the forums you might get a response from a Tejon owner a little faster.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Farmercal said:
marinecorpsgrunt I can't answer your question but I just wanted to point out that there is a category called "Metal Detector Reviews - By Owner!" and a subcategory "Minelab". If you post the same question in that section of the forums you might get a response from a Tejon owner a little faster.
LOL Since when is Minelab and Tesoro the same ???
I must have missed something. ;D

I can't answer either though try his suggestion but in the Tesoro sub forum. :thumbsup:

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
well dont know if i can help, but once you are groundballanced and you notice your machine is running a little strange time to g-b, i have heavy minerilization but it is pretty consistant, but when i head north around the gold mines the ground verys and i have to g-b frequently, where are you located, some one from your area could help, also i believe the xtl can give you a gb reading on your soil

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you don't really decide if you are in good or bad ground, you just ground balance to the ground regardless of what it is. There is a beginning and end to the ground balance knob, just turn it about 4 turns clockwise and you are at the end. It keeps turning but you are at the end of the adjustment, then go back about 1 3/4 turn and you are about the middle of the range, adjust from there. Tesoros website has a good video that explains it better than I can.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
As noted, once your acurately ground balance, you're set for that ground, good or bad. Second, the reason the 12x10 is better in "bad ground" is it is scanning less mineralized ground at any given moment. (Put a 12x10 ontop of a 12x12, the 12x12 covers more ground, which means it's fighting more minerals.

Use your DFX to "check" the ground. If you use DC phase setting you can get a "ground number" A high negative number -80's or -90's is "bad ground" but this simple process will not tell you how concentrated the mineral are, just give a basic idea of the ground conditions.

The 12x10 coil will give you excellent performance in both good and bad ground, and it's better suited to use if you are in bad ground over a comparable size round coil.

This is purely a guess, by I would imagine the area around Memphis is pretty good ground. I was in Tunica (gambling) last summer, at the farm fields look to be a rich black soil. Generally bad ground is clay, and or desert sand. But be careful, a lot of chemicals on a farm field can have an adverse effect on soil conditions.

Good luck.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
If you have 'bad ground' you will get incessant falseing and be unable to operate the machine without turning the sensitivity way down.

The Tejon runs a rather hot front end and is capable of very good depth because it is sensitive.

Best you can do is review the GB instructions at the Tesoro site.

As you learn the machine, you'll know which false signals may be avoided.

Tesoro machines simply work well!

Best
rmptr

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Eu_citzen said:
Farmercal said:

I can't answer either though try his suggestion but in the Tesoro sub forum. :thumbsup:
LOL! Were is my mind these days :tongue3: I tried to help.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use your DFX to "check" the ground. If you use DC phase setting you can get a "ground number" A high negative number -80's or -90's is "bad ground" but this simple process will not tell you how concentrated the mineral are, just give a basic idea of the ground conditions.

This is a common misunderstanding using the DC Phase will only tell you what kind of mineral(s) are present at the low 90's it is iron and around 0 there is salt water. :thumbsup:

Just ground balance (start up procedure) and look the the coarse GEB numbers. :thumbsup:
The higher they are the more mineralized is the ground.

Farmercal said:
Eu_citzen said:
Farmercal said:

LOL! Were is my mind these days :tongue3: I tried to help.

I thought it was rather funny actually. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread