new to forums, need help getting back into MDing

ArcadianDelSol

Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 1-D/505
I have 2 detectors that I recently rediscovered while unpacking from a move. One needs some work before I can use it (an older Whites 5900 model) and the other is even weaker - a Bounty Hunter d 1 / 505 model.

The good (bad?) news is that the BH unit works fine. Problem: I have over time, completely forgotten how to use its tragically simple two-knob operation. (tho I did manage to replace the shaft with some customized PVC tubing). I fiddled with it by tossing some old 'test coins' around the ground along with nails, spark plugs, electrical punches, etc - and figured it was working. I managed to turn the two knobs so that coins made a lovely BLIP-BLIP while the nails made a sad "BRZZZ-BRZZZ" when I panned across them.

My question is: do I need to know any more than that to go out with this toy (which may actually qualify as a relic in and of itself!) and rediscover the tricks and techniques, or should I continue to scour my garage for any manuals?

I already scoured the internet - looks like this model might predate even usenet itself :(

And yes, the whites model is already being sent away - the 'needle' gauge was broken and the needle was bent so it didn't move. A local handyman said the electronics appeared to work fine, but he'd have to replace the needle itself.

LASTLY:

I could potentially go with a 3rd unit altogether, but my budget would be on the slightly high side of $100.00 right now. Yes yes, this is a mere pittance and probably good 'seed money' for when I have $200 or $300, but it is what it is. Currently armed with the BH 505 and a Whites 5900 Di-Pro, has technology advanced to the point where a modern $100-$150 detecor would be better than either of these current models?

I guess the short version ( boy is it too late for that or WHAT?) is: Are either of these detectors worth $100, or could I spend $100 at a local pro shop and upgrade my ancient fleet of detectors?

SUPER LASTLY: I love my Bounty Hunter. You cannot ever change that. EVER.

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and seriously;y it all comes to you. All of here could say great things about detectors and with what is going on with finances today you are the best bet to say what to get. Just so you are comfortable with YOUR decision is all that should matter.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Welcome aboard Tnet!

Sounds like you got a fine pair of machines.

Plenty has been discovered with 505, and you've proven it works...
Take it to a tot lot and see what you can find!

If you can get a signal on a nickel at 4" deep in sand, for a quick test, I'd say your chances of striking it rich are as good as the next guy, more or less! ;D

Good luck
rmptr

OP
OP
ArcadianDelSol

ArcadianDelSol

Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 1-D/505
thank you for the encouraging replies, but just to clarify - my question was more along the lines of, given the two models I currently have, and being that they are rather old tech (as in, they use floating needles like some ancient Victorian clockworkery instead of slick digital LCD panels), would a Bass Pro Shop quality detector for about $100 have better "tech" inside than these old dinosaurs I have - or would I be spending $100 on something that offers nothing more than what I already have, or would today's $100 model be stronger and better than my old ones.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Not sure about that hundred dollars, unless it was spent on a more recent used machine off Ebay. Once get to the $300 mark however the break over from old to new tech will be very apparent.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
click on the whites logo you should be able to find a manual to run the 5900, the 5900 is still pretty competitive with to days machines, just heaver

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I've never used any of the really older machines................but I will tell you that most of the modern machines in the $100 range will only be able to detect coins consistently in the 2-3" range with a causual 4" coming in. Take for instance a Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 machine.........it's near that price range new, and that is the performance you will get.....which I doubt is much better if at all than the perforance of the machines you have. If you can come in at the $230-260 new or $150-200 used..........that is where you may find one of the Garrett or Tesoro units that pack alot of punch and features at the price.......particularly the ACE 250 or Tesoro models in the 200'ish price range.. $100 used might get you something sweet if a seller lets something go cheaply..............and you do find sweet deals here and there.

Another idea is to sell the machines you have at one point or the other and use that money also towards a newer machine..........or do a trade.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have two nice older machines that are great for coinshooting! Do a few tests then get back out there detecting. A $100.00 machine these days is a hand held pinpointer, save your clad and ring finds and wait awhile, it will add up and you will also know if you really want to get back into the hobby without wasting $$$. A good detector really is closer to $500-$800 these days and the cheaper detectors are also good but you already have the same capabilities on the cheaper side. I think the White's detector may be a little better than the BH for depth. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread