crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice oldie. They done that here in Ohio back in the 70's. They moved an old depot and refurbished it turning it into a mini museum candy store. Great homemade candies, too. :thumbsup:

ArcadianDelSol

Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 1-D/505
When I lived in Baltimore, I used to seek out old abandoned stations along the B&O railroad and here's what you're going to find:

1. eleven billion nails
2. scraps of chipped rust from train cars
3. beer bottle caps and pull tabs by the pound
4. a silver quarter or dime if you are lucky

Rails and their stations are just absolutely peppered with junk metal. If you find a spot like the one in your pic - I would seek out any nearby fields where train travellers might wander in an effort to relieve themselves and/or sit and eat a sandwich against a tree. Around that building itself or near the rails themselves, you'll find enough scrap iron to build your own locomotive.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArcadianDelSol said:
Rails and their stations are just absolutely peppered with junk metal. If you find a spot like the one in your pic - I would seek out any nearby fields where train travellers might wander in an effort to relieve themselves and/or sit and eat a sandwich against a tree. Around that building itself or near the rails themselves, you'll find enough scrap iron to build your own locomotive.

You're exactly right.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Worked one in town here that was being rehabbed by the local historical society and a few neighborhood groups. It was more of a cattle loading depot however and all that boardwalk for the cattle was long gone, but the nails remained.

Turned into a good hunt when they dug around the foudation to reinforce the building. Screened what I couldn't detect and got a few seateds, barbers and strangely enough half a dozen bennies. Apparently some kids lost their marbles there.

Attachments

• depot1.jpg
    depot1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 156
  • depot2.jpg
    depot2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 173

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread