WATCH OUT ....dont step on that....

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Every time I find something weird, I think for the worst.

Once down the road at a school, I dug about 4 inches deep and found a tube shaped object with lots of colored wires coming out of it. I thought to myself "Man this is a freakin pipebomb". I carefully dug more because I was curious rather then smart, and there was rubber lining and a metal type base with wires sticking out some cut and some wrapped together. I never fully dug it up, I reburied it and moved on, I was very very tempted to call the police to have them check it out, however I was afraid if it was a false alarm I would be yelled at or fined, but if it was a real one (even a dud) I'd be in the media.

What would you all have done?

OP
OP
Cachefinder

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
thanks so far everyone for their input :thumbsup:

What about everyone else out there--- I want to hear the stories :icon_study:

Thanks ;D

Cachefinder-

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Since you asked I was working a public park, it had just been made public as part of a large tract purchase. The property next to it had been industrial and had been demolished zip-bang fashion. Noticed some wire/cable looking stuff stick out of the ground. Went to pull it up, and found there was a good length of it.

About 30 feet or so length and could not figure out what it was doing there, it was det cord. Gave it to the Park Police who were curious as to the nature of my digs. I insured them I was looking for coinage only but they immediately wanted me to leave after that so they could get someone in to further search the area. Good enough for me.

At a big carnie site I was searching I started looking over some of the muddy ground whee the aprk was being rennovated. Found a about half a dozen 4 to 6 inch shells unexploded that were from the previous nights fireworks show. Local police had a community service bunch doin some of the cleanup. Went up to their commisar and rolled on to the back of his golf cart and told him to watch out fot them as I handed the bag over. He asked what they were. I said, UXO. He and the couple park guys he was talking started running off. Told them to come back and gave him the rest and advised they get some better eyes out there to pick up the rest before some kid found 'em. Never found so many left over fireworks before! Watch out for these after some carnie/fests because they can become real show stoppers, especially in the middle of the day!

R AND R

Jan 25, 2009
Menominee, MI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Sidewinder,Stingray 2, Bandito Classic, 1265X w/ Hot Head 12, BHID 9.5 coil and Garrett ACE 2fiddy!
Down south they rig up a rattrap,a pipe and a 12 ga shell on a trip wire used by all sorts of people, stills,pot,meth.. They are usually set about ankle level nailed to a tree. Yall be careful!

P

pippinwhitepaws

there are tons of used ordinance in the arizona desert.
the military still controls a major portion of the desert south of I-8 for gunnery range.
patton trained along both sides of the colorado river... just north of yuma to la paz area...they did loose munitions, though the land mines are probably inert.

if you cross into agua prieta, or naco, both those towns were once surrounded by landmines and barbed wire, to protect them from pancho villa.

and don't forget the miners who left dynamite lying about in shady places.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:
there are tons of used ordinance in the arizona desert.
the military still controls a major portion of the desert south of I-8 for gunnery range.
patton trained along both sides of the colorado river... just north of yuma to la paz area...they did loose munitions, though the land mines are probably inert.

This also brings up a point that REALLY gets me upset.... Because of all the " military training " , there are 1000's of acres that are now off limits to the average Joe... The Chocolate Mts are just one such area, parts near the Anza Borrego State Park is another. This is one reason why I truly ENVY the old guys.... They could go ANYWHERE they wanted to... and I haven't heard of anyone dying because of it ( meaning UXO's )...

PLL

if you cross into agua prieta, or naco, both those towns were once surrounded by landmines and barbed wire, to protect them from pancho villa.

and don't forget the miners who left dynamite lying about in shady places.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
hey gang,
Cache, since you said desert and bombs, I would ask which desert you were in. Here in SoCal, in the Anza-Borrego desert there is a area called the Carrizo Impact Area, and YES it has TONS of unexplored ordnance. This area is off limits, but, that doesn't mean no one goes there. So be careful, be VERY careful..

PLL

Hey Peg was that you out there in the dune buggy grabbing the aluminum fins from off the dummy bombs ::) ;D ;D ;D Save me a chute if it was :D :D

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
You'd be suprized to hear that many isolated areas in the 20-40s were used for artillery ranges, but were eventually closed down, some no longer are on maps, so it is possible to run across sometthing in the deserts/outback that you wouldn't think was there

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
Hey boogey,
nahhhh not me, but tell me more ( where etc )..

PLL

Just givin ya a hard time ;D There used to be a guy that had a Meyers Manx that he painted tan, used to run into him a few years ago. The only time I got a chance to talk to him where he wasn't all sketchy. He told me he was selling 50 Cal. rounds & stuff for souveiners. You & I both know better ::) Jeeze, now I'm thinkin. The price of brass & aluminum........ Naw I like my legs the way they are, leave it for the tweekers ;D Haven't been down around Carrizo in a few years. Had a yelling match with one of the Park Rangers. He was 100 & 1% wrong and when his partner rolled up and told him he was wrong too, I figured it was best to explore other areas.

OP
OP
Cachefinder

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
Thank you all for your stories :icon_study:

Is there any others out there??? :tongue3:

Please post... ;D

Cachefinder-

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
In 2006 a WW1 75mm mustard blister agent shell was found in a clamshell processing plant here in Delaware. It had been dredged up from the Delaware Bay. EOD experts from Aberdeen, Maryland were sent to disarm the shell and this is what happened to one of them. Other munitions have been found in clamshell driveways so be carefull out there.

Attachments

• BLISTERAGENT.JPG
    BLISTERAGENT.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 421

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Damn that dont look to nice, wouldnt wish that upon anyone!! :(

sasnz

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
A couple of years ago at potatoe creek state park they found a torpedo...I cant remember if it was still live ,but I think it was...what the heck is a torpedo doing in northern Indiana?!

obxfishnuts

Feb 18, 2009
OBX, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
On the Outer Banks of N.C. at the north end of Dare County is the town of Duck. When I was a kid it was used by the Navy as a practice bombing range from the ocean to the sound. Every year someone clearing a lot will come across an old practice bomb buried in the sand. Usually a call to Camp Leujune will have the EOD guys come out and pick them up.
obxfishnuts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread