Is there such a thing called too much sleep?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Hey guys! Well its 4:30am in the morning!!! I am usually not up this early, but my dog and I were up until 1 in the morning and we were trying to go to sleep. I was daydreaming about finding the Indian head penny which i hope to find today. But I didn't need to go to bed until 1:10am. So in total i got less then 4 hours of sleep and I am really awake!!!!!! ;D So if i sound really hyper thats because I have gotten to much sleep.

Some of you may ask, have I dranken any caffine? I say nope! :) I am not suppose to drink caffine drinks before bed and I am very responsible about it. If you are wondering, I usually get 9-10 hours + of sleeping per night. Even when my dog whines because she doesn't like the bed. :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I have heard over many years is that "Ideally" the human body needs about 8 hours of rest everyday. I know if I sleep too much that I feel like???? At my age, I generally get 8 or 9 and am able to function fully the next day. I'm sure that this can be debated to death, but I keep hearing that 8 seems to be the baseline

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Too much sleep? Dream on!

Actually, I'm not a snoozaholic. Generally brew up the first cup around 4:00 a.m., and often even earlier.

When you wake up, get up. You've probably had enough Z's, whether it's more or less than the textbook eight hours.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't know about to much sleep. But I never get more then 5 hours of sleep at night. It doesn't make a different what time I go to bed I always get up early. I know they say you need 7 or 8 hours of sleep but I think that depends on the person.....Matt

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Sometimes get an hour to two hours of sleep in a day. Slept for 5 hours straight one day back in November, Mrs. Lowbatts thought I'd died so she woke me up.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very hard for me to get more than 6 hours of sleep a day and it is usually more like 4 to 5 hours before I am up from not being able to sleep any more. Doesn't matter what time I go to bed, about five hours is all I can do. In the afternoon I am running out of steam and like to catch 40 winks in the hammock outside where I fall asleep listening to birds or the breeze thru my trees.

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV / Garrett GTI 2500
For me too much sleep makes me lethargic and ruins my whole day. More than 6 is bad, but I am getting older and the older you get it seems the less sleep you need( for me anyway)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectingfreak , Just make sure that when you dream of finding that IH , that it is an 1877 !

in AU condition $$$$ Argentium.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I am 52 and need 7.5 hours of sleep every night. I used to live on 7 hours of sleep but that was before I was diagnosed with apnea. I also can't sleep past 5:30 in the morning. Sleeping in means I slept to 6 a.m. or later.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
My internal clock says 6 hours is enough. I wake up after 6 hours of sleep. If I try to go back to sleep I can not, so I time my life to go to bed 6 hours before I have to get up.

I can fall asleep in a matter of minutes and wake up 6 hours later. Am a sound sleeper. Even slept through a 6.0 earthquake once. Not really, it did wake me up briefly, but the furniture was only shaking a bit, so I went back to sleep.

Ray S

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that as I have gotten older I need less sleep and feel just fine. Normally 5-6 hours and I have to get up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread