Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How do dig in frozen ground

I just wait for the ground to thaw. Or if you can not wait you could take out a blow torch to help you. Or you could try sandy soil to dig in as that will not freeze as bad....Matt

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I simply just don't dig in it. I also don't dig through concrete, as it seems the ground is like in the winter. This is a good time to do some research and to really get to know your detector. Come spring, you'll be popping out neat finds left and right. Welcome aboard HH!

MayberryMonte

Sep 12, 2008
Soddy Daisy, TN.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I've had trouble breaking through wood chips at playgrounds when they're frozen and I use a pick-like digger. Just wait and it'll be a piece of cake. You might want to mark your best signals with a spot of spray paint and come back. Good luck.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have used a cold chisel that was about a foot long, and a ballpeen hammer. My brother broke his nose digging in frozen ground when his hands slipped off his digger throwing him off balance and he fell face first into the frozen ground. OUCH!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Muscle ;D Just kidding. A regular trowell won't work. You need something to break the crust. Once you break the crust the ground under that will be workable. Maybe a narrow shovel, not a regular shovel but one used to dig 5- 6 inch hole. You can buy at hardware store. They are skinny and long. I don't know the exact name for them but you can figure it out. Once you use the heavy machinery, then the digging trowell will work fine. The ground here in Ohio only freezes down about 2-3 inches max all winter. You can detect in the winter :icon_sunny:
My finds today

001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

If it isn't on the surface I won't dig it this time of year. There's no good way to patch up the holes you make in frozen ground.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good question! I wish I could figure that one out.

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hey have you ever thought to use a rock hammer? you should be able to get under the crust and lift it up with this if you are dead set keen. Just my thoughts.

sasnz

Attachments

• prospecthammer.jpg
    prospecthammer.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 497

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
They are called trench shovels. They work wonders in the frozen ground. You do have to break a sweat to dig but you will break through.

trench_shovels.jpg

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The frostline in Western Pa. is 32" or there-abouts.....all water and sewer lines have to be deeper than that so they don't freeze.

Do you really want to dig in that? No crust here...when the ground freezes...it's concrete. And I surely don't want to be lugging a hammer and heavy, steel chisel on my Md'ing trips when it's that cold.

In the house it's nice and warm...I'm surfin the net, hitting the library, finding new sites for when the ground is workable.

Al

OP
OP
M

Mooa182

Oct 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday it got above freezing for a few hours and melted half of our snow. It didn't affect the ground as much because there is still a small layer of snow, which I hope will melt off and start thawing the ground. Temperatures should normalize for the rest of the week and slowly thaw the ground more each day. The only problem is that snow acts like a layer of insulation and helps prevent shield the ground from the colder night air temperatures.

In the meantime I have been snooping around on the web and looking at some local places. There is 2 parks and a old railroad trail (now a running path) which look very promising.

OP
OP
M

Mooa182

Oct 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spoke too soon... we just had a small layer of freezing rain and 2in of snow dumped on us... with more on the way. :'(

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Use a pnuematic core drill and a couple sticks of dynamite. And remember to backfill your blast sites.

Mooa182 said:
Ok I started detecting recently and am having problems getting deep with the frozen ground. I am using brute force trying to just get 1" into the ground. What are you all using to dig heavily frozen ground?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread