Leasee vs Land Owner Permission

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I've personally pondering this question for quite some time and was hoping to hear some opinions on this. Over the years, I've been granted permission to hunt a few sites by someone that was leasing the land but have declined these opportunities because I didn't have or couldn't secure permission directly from the landowner. Just wondering what others would do or have done. What's the sentiment on this?

Jamie

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
It is my opinion that if I had the permission of the leasee that would be good enough for me. The main thing here to remember is that you need to get permission of the people occupying the land. no one wants a shotgun pulled on them and as long as they know you are their, that is what counts in my eyes. I really dont think to many other than the odd nutter owner would care as long as you have asked the leasee anyhow. I am not sure how you would know if the land was leased in the first place as i would simply ask for permission to detect.

But here is the key, Leave the ground as you found it. not with craters everywhere.

sasnz.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
If someone is "leasing" the land, it is spelled out in the contract what the terms are. If the "Leasee" has power of attorney and usuary rights, then that person can do what they want as far as allowing others to go hunting on the land. If the "Leasee" does NOT have power of attorney nor usuary rights, then you are trespassing. Laws are different from Parish to Parish and State to State, but that's what I understand of what my arrangements are. -Noodle

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you have permission from the person that is living there or the person that is farming the land that is all I would think you would need. I know when I am out getting permission I get it from the farmer as it is his crops that is going into the field.....mlayers

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If I knock on a door, and someone says "go ahead", I don't argue.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permission is Permission.
Whether Leasee, Renter, Care Taker, owner, the police.

I will accept any as "Good to Go"

My only no go is

Children 16 years of age & Younger.

I Have had kids, after watching & Asking Questions say

"You should come to my place & Search"
&
"You Can come to my place & Search"

17, 18 I'd probably Question frurther.

Over that, I'd probably go.

Inmates ? hummm :P

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I feel that if they rent or lease than there under some contract of responsibility's,so they would know if the owner objects to detecting.So if they give you permission than they should have the power to do so.

Nova Treasure

K

Kentucky Kache

On the other hand (there's always another hand), leasing land doesn't mean owning land. So, would the leaser have a right to tell you to take things from the ground? He wouldn't have the right to let you take some of the dirt...he doesn't own it. The law may or may not give the leaser that right, but who gives the law that right?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
crazycache, if a leasee didn't have the authority to give you an "ok", then guess who's problem that is? Yours or his? It's HIS problem! If, for some reason, a higher authority (owner) came up and told you to scram, then it's between that owner and his renter. You would be in no trouble whatsoever. Sure he might revoke your permission, but you'd have nothing to worry about.

Here's another take on the same vein to consider: Sometimes when hunting old town urban demolition sites, I've gotten an ok from some lowly laborer/worker. In the back of my mind, I know that perhaps he's just an employee. There's a foreman above him. But wait, even a foreman doesn't own the demolition co. I suppose I should ask at some coorporate office across town, eh? But wait, who's to say that the demo. company can give permission anyhow? Aren't they just hired to work for whomever owns the land? But wait, if the land is owned by a coorporation, and a board member says "sure, go ahead", Shouldn't I dismiss his permission as irrelevant because it wasn't voted on by the stock-holders? Blah blah blah. And on and on it goes into infinity!

That's why you just jump in when the first homeless wino standing anywhere nearby says "sure, go ahead" :-*

ArcadianDelSol

Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 1-D/505
most leasees have signed agreements that they will maintain the quality of the property (mow it, keep rodents out, etc), so their permission to you is enough - they've already agreed to be responsible for any damage you do.

just dont do any.

K

Kentucky Kache

Tom_in_CA said:
crazycache, if a leasee didn't have the authority to give you an "ok", then guess who's problem that is? Yours or his? It's HIS problem! If, for some reason, a higher authority (owner) came up and told you to scram, then it's between that owner and his renter. You would be in no trouble whatsoever. Sure he might revoke your permission, but you'd have nothing to worry about.

I wasn't worried about getting into trouble, it's a question of morals. To take something from someone's land is stealing, even if the renter says you can have it. Would you take a piece of farm machinery that no one ever used?

Tom_in_CA said:
Here's another take on the same vein to consider: Sometimes when hunting old town urban demolition sites, I've gotten an ok from some lowly laborer/worker. In the back of my mind, I know that perhaps he's just an employee. There's a foreman above him. But wait, even a foreman doesn't own the demolition co. I suppose I should ask at some coorporate office across town, eh? But wait, who's to say that the demo. company can give permission anyhow? Aren't they just hired to work for whomever owns the land? But wait, if the land is owned by a coorporation, and a board member says "sure, go ahead", Shouldn't I dismiss his permission as irrelevant because it wasn't voted on by the stock-holders? Blah blah blah. And on and on it goes into infinity!

That's why you just jump in when the first homeless wino standing anywhere nearby says "sure, go ahead" :-*

You can break it down a hundred different ways, but it still comes back to someone or some group owning the land. If I purchase an acre of land and there's a gold coin buried somewhere in that acre, guess who owns it.

Most people lease land for farming practices, not for digging treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread