selling dug coins

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've found silver coins in the ground that you couldn't tell were dug. Ie.: there was no environmental tarnishing, etc.... It depends on the type of soil minerals, moisture, etc... Other times silver coins will be tarnished, and any attempt to remove the black/grey will render them with clues they've been "cleaned". I've even found key date lincoln cents and IH's that were numismatically redeemable. But that happens less often than silver, d/t copper is more susceptible to ground rot :)

And gold coins are never "ground kissed". They will look like the day they were dropped (assuming the are motionless in the ground, and not some sort of surf tossed or plowed field dings, etc...). I've found 11 gold coins, and every one was perfect. Just like gold rings, they'll still be shiny when you pull them out, even in salt, minerals, etc....

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug some coins and I swear you could never tell they were dug. I'm sure it goes on quite a bit, because there is a lot of burried history on this old earth of our's. You don't ask........ I won't tell ::)

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
My one and only 1936 Merc that I found in my backyard was bright and shiny. Looked close to uncirculated.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found a few uncircumcised coins before

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what I have found my silver looks like it as never been in the ground....matt

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Based on metal, it's possible to determine if a coin is a dug one or not.........the signs are obvious. Silver coins for example can easily be sneaked in............and then there is the silver coin that has a condition where no one would ever think it had been in the ground, but this is based on the grade.........these are usually the ones that get dropped very early on in their life.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
If you live in frozen ground territory, all coins will have some micro-scratches from frost heaving, gold, silver, even copper and nickel. But the softer ones, gold and silver will suffer more. Even some that appear nearly AU can be determined dug. Think about it, that ground has been freezing, contracting and expanding for however many years the coin was in the ground.

Had a few early dimes that looked so pristine I could call them perfect. Coin shop owner told me they were dug after looking closely and seeing these microscopic scratches that were fairly invisible to the naked eye. The damage was fairly uniform as well, demonstrating a pattern that might only be described by the frost heaving process, so very minimal though it was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread