Best $10 I Ever Spent

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year I stopped by two of our local historical societies meetings and decided I should really join. I'm a member of two metal detecting related clubs so I felt that I may not want another monthly meeting to go to. I decided that I would join and just not go to every meeting so I when tonight informed them that I wanted to join and it would cost me a whopping $10 for a family membership. I knew a few of the local historians already so they are introducing me as the guy with the fancy Geiger counter (yeah that old one). I was showing them a half real I found this past weekend. A few of the members have old houses in the area and are willing to let me detect. One lady found a large copper coin in her garden and another stated she found a 1 lb iron ball in her lawn.

The best part is that there is property in town that has a ton of history to it dating back 350 years. When I would mention it at my detecting club they would just say they don't allow anyone to detect there. At the end of tonight's meeting the grounds keeper for the land approached me and is going to speak with his boss but he was pretty sure he could get me permission to detect.

So for $10 it looks like I have my 2009 dance card filled. Now go join your local historical society if your are not already a member.

NJ

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Sounds like you scored quite a few spots. Good luck.

Brian

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on your leads sure hope they work out for you...Matt

rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, whites DFX
Your right NJ, this was the best $10. bucks I ever spent. You just cant beat the connections and wealth of knowledge............

I visited my local historical society in December. This is when I signed up for a membership and browsed through some of the archives and met a couple of the long term members. They shared some history and showed me around their little collection. We got to talking about old maps, So I showed them the PENNPILOT sight. They were amazed by the photo of the old fairgrounds back in 1939. They asked me if I would like to meet some people that met people that was at the fair. Sure do. Anyways, last night we had our first meeting. I walked in and what do I see, they had the photo from pennpilot plus some others from pennpilot blown up to poster size and on display. We went on with the meeting, watched a video on the underground railroad and then mingled. This is where the WOW! comes in. I met one couple and within 5 minutes of careful listening, I had 3 real good leads on places to hunt come spring. I will spend the rest of these cold winter days down at the historical society. I would recommend that anyone wanting to find some good leads or look into your local history to contact your local historical society and sign up. But I warn you, It could get very addictive and you might meet some really nice people that know your backyard better then you do.............

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Our local historical society has well benefiited from my work and they have acknowledged it in mail and person. They have more than a few items I've recovered for their use should they decide to put together related displays.

But alas it costs a lot more for membership in our town. $10 bucks is the "donation" they want for walking in the door. Multi-tiered memberships start out much higher.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lowbatts said:
Our local historical society has well benefiited from my work and they have acknowledged it in mail and person. They have more than a few items I've recovered for their use should they decide to put together related displays.

But alas it costs a lot more for membership in our town. $10 bucks is the "donation" they want for walking in the door. Multi-tiered memberships start out much higher.

I have donated stuff to the New Jersey Historical Society which I'm not a member but they have a museum. My town does not have it's own museum but that is something I'm working on and one of the main reasons I joined last night. In this economy it is hard to raise funds or get the local government to agree to extra expenses but I'm trying to get local businesses involved so we will see what happens.

I've never understood the high fees some Historical Socities charge. You want the local people to particapate and take an active interest in their history. Our fees are $7 for an individual and $10 for a family. Although I know if someone came in and wanted to join but did not have the money they would still be allowed to join. The money thing should not be what the organization is about.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Wow that is great news! It's great that they actually praise your hobby, rather then calling you destructive.

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
I work with Municipalities in Wisconsin. I was talking to the Director of Finance at one and he told me that they were tearing down a house this spring, he knew I was into metal detecting, only catch is that all finds are going to the Historical Society, not a problem for me, I'd cherish that I found it and have the ability let others see what we have. Hopefully it'll open other doors..
J2

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Great post! Really gave me yet another tool in my search "belt" to locate and hunt new properties! What a great idea!
HH
Baggins

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
I'm planning on joining mine within the next two months. $20.00 for the family.
In this hobby if you don't research the history of the area your hunting you are missing out on a lot.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never stop learning from you. Keep the info train running and I'll do the same when I have some!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread