Detecting as exercise/weight-loss?

JeepMcMuddy

Nov 9, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX-300, 4x6DD, 10"D2
I am just curious how many of you use metal detecting as "exercise" or for weight loss? If so, how did you do? I have lost 65 pounds so far through just diet change, but I definately need to add exercise to mix. I normally despise working out, but find I can easily spend an hour or two walking around a park swinging the dfx. I'd love to hear your stories!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to use my detector as getting some exercise. I would try to get out 3 or 4 times a week this last year. I would get out and hunt for 1 to 2 hours. But then winter set in and I get to be a couch potato...Matt

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I consider myself a pretty fit person........I ride my road bike EVERYDAY and can easily do a 40-50 mile total trip on any given day and still have energy for the rest of the day. With that said, the 4-7 hours of a typical metal detecting trip and the amount of digging that I do usually results in a crash-out as soon as I get home. I'd say metal detecting is a hell of a work out.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it depends on whether you're on the sand with a long handled scoop or in the thick of the woods in the summertime covered in ticks and using a machete to clear an area enough to take a few swings. :wink:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do it for fun, not exercise. It's a hobby after all. :icon_king:

So no I don't do it for weight loss. :coffee2:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't lose any weight while detecting. Yeah, I too crash after a 4-6 hour stint but, I think it it's more mental strain than physical.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
johnnycat said:
I don't lose any weight while detecting. Yeah, I too crash after a 4-6 hour stint but, I think it it's more mental strain than physical.

I lose weight every time I empty my pouch. :wink:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Great Fun, Great to be outdoors.
Not very "aerobic" though.
I'm not sure how much weight anyone will lose detecting, I'm pretty sure I haven't lost any.
It is great relaxation for me, stess reducer. Works my arms and beats my knees up pretty good.

Maybe if you picked a spot way back of the road, and ran to it?

Good Luck,
mark

OP
OP
J

JeepMcMuddy

Nov 9, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX-300, 4x6DD, 10"D2
Thanks for all the responses, yes I think I am just glad to find a hobby that gets me outside and I enjoy! I hear what you are saying about the strain though, I have had both of my knees operated on, and I cant kneel very well. I end up squatting and stooping most of the time, and after a few hours I can hardly walk to the car i am so stiff. But I wouldn't trade it for anything! :)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I think the level of exercise that you could get from detecting, intentional or not is based on how long and what you are doing. I can tell you that in a good percentage of the areas I hunt, it is a feat sometimes just to get the plug cut.......and the rest is an all out battle with roots.....not the same as lawns or woodchips. Steadingly swinging an Explorer on an incline somewhere in the woods working your way up a slope......that in itself is a workout..........and a better one I'm sure than the 30 minute stint you see people doing on early morning shows.

Sierra Kid

Feb 7, 2009
Mojave Desert CA.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300, Falcon MD20
Believe it or not, I actually wore a heart rate monitor during one of my high desert metal detecting outings. There usually is a lot of sand and climbing over rocks to get to areas, as well as swinging a pick axe and digging with a shovel. My heart rate was certainly in the "fat burning" zone.(114-125 bpm) It really is a workout, and low impact! May be a little different for folks detecting on flat regular terrain. After a few hours in the desert sun, I'm toast. Cork

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Of course the amount of exercise is going to be directly related to the intensity of your activity when you are detecting...it can vary widely but I would be willing to bet that even the most casual metal detecting will burn more calories than kicking back in the recliner with some snacks and watching tv! :wink:

M

michigan michael

It did not start off that way but, yeah. It definitely helps. I actually quit smoking after 20 plus years because of detecting. I wanted to enjoy the hobby not walk around, sweat, and suck wind. I just hope my right arm does not get a lot bigger than my left from all the swinging.......I may have some splaining to do at that point! ;D :D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions