deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got a rude reminder on the power of static electricity.

With the dry air in the house, sparks are flying.

I didn't give it much thought until I went to pull my memory card for my camera out of the computer slot. A nice spark about a quarter inch from my finger to the chip and POW!!!! ...fried the memory chip.

Fortunately, I had downloaded all the pics on it...but its now a useless 3/4" square piece of crap.

I don't know if anything like this could happen to a detector.....I think that's why most puter housings are plastic now.

But why chance it...discharge to something non electronic before sticking your hands in one to change batteries or anything. All this new microelectronics they use now...apparently is pretty easy to fry.

Al

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird that you post this. Just Sunday I got up to answer the telephone and I got a nice spark when I touched it. Now the display screen is totally blank. Don't know if you could damage a detector but it did a number on my phone. No more caller ID so...I have to answer all rings. >:(

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of cans of Static Guard sprayed on the carpet works wonders! A lot cheaper than a new electronic device ;D Works good if you carry your detector in a bat bag with a plastic liner ::) ::) ::). Hope that helps someone.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I never thought of that either. Glad yu posted this I am going out to get some stactic guard...Matt

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
johnnycat said:
Weird that you post this. Just Sunday I got up to answer the telephone and I got a nice spark when I touched it. Now the display screen is totally blank. Don't know if you could damage a detector but it did a number on my phone. No more caller ID so...I have to answer all rings. >:(

Have you power cycled the phone since then?

Sorry Al, sounds like you did do the deed. You could put a simple metal tab that is grounded on the side of your 'puter to discharge prior to touching the next card you get. Would'nt have to be big or obtrusive in any way.

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the static guard idea too...didnt think of that.

What would I ground the metal to? Seems everything is wood, plastic or plaster...

Maybe my housemate...lol... :icon_jokercolor:

Hey dude, come here....zapppp....lol

Al

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
To the metal frame of your 'puter. A simple 12 or 14 AWG wire screwed onto one of the screws holding your computer case to the frame will work fine. The run that up to a convenient spot on the side, top or surface in front of your 'puter and smack a small flat metal tab on it. It could ba as easy as placing it near the card reader and letting the side of your hand make contact as you approach and remove the card.

You can get various grounding devices/ideas at Radio Shaft!

P

pippinwhitepaws

i zapped my wheel on the mouse by running around the house in silk long johns...
touched the mousie and SNAP{ owwww....no workie anymore...
lucky for me it was only the mouse and not the motherboard.

do ground out the object and yourself prior to messing around.

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Lowbatts...gonna do that right now.

Al

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
johnnycat said:

Have you power cycled the phone since then?

Sorry Al, sounds like you did do the deed. You could put a simple metal tab that is grounded on the side of your 'puter to discharge prior to touching the next card you get. Would'nt have to be big or obtrusive in any way.

Hey thanks. I went and unplugged the phone and replugged it and the screen came back!! :wink:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:
I like the static guard idea too...didnt think of that.

What would I ground the metal to? Seems everything is wood, plastic or plaster...

A small gauge wire can be wrapped around the screw that holds the face plate on a receptacle or light switch if that's easier.

Occasionally my labradors nose works very well, not to mention the dogs dirty look is priceless after she gets zinged off my elbow ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread