Attachments

• 1943 wheat.jpg
    1943 wheat.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 5,318

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
;D only $10.000 for a 1943 copper penny , outbid by a $1.50 ! you bid $20.00 you should have bid $ 50.00 to A $100. I know I would have , but like they say A dollar late and a (penny) Short. Coin Hunter.. :) :) :) :)

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The mint does not appraise coins. They sometimes authenticate errors. If they believe they are genuine you are sometimes allowed to keep them. If they are fake they are seized. There are hundreds of thousands of steel cents coated with copper and sold as souvenirs. They can be bought for less than a dollar. Do an ebay search for 1943 copper. There are not even dozens of originals. The quick test is to see if a magnet will stick to it. If not then you go to other tests like checking the weight; looking for alteration marks; looking for a seam on the rim from a casting, etc. Save the auction and check the feedback that gets posted by the buyer for that transaction. He is either a shill or he will be very disappointed. siegfried schlagrule

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that there were NO pennies made in copper in 1943? I see ads once in a while someone offering $1,000,000.00 for one. After many years of growing up my father had a coin collection and over the years. My younger brother stole them right after my father passed away, and sold them without anyones knowledge until about 6 months later when we started inventorying everything. He was living with mom and dad the whole time, never worked and always had money. My father had many a collection including stamps which is almost gone!

I remember may father had at least 1 coin for every year up until about 1965 all siver, (which he had about 2-3 rolls each for each year from 1885-1965 and including copper pennies, except the steel 1943. I remember him telling me that there were no copper pennies made in 1943. So my question is DID they or DID THEY NOT make copper pennies in 1943?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deja vu.

Yes there are a few copper 1943 cents out there. In the provided link the US Mint acknowledges that about 40 exist. As stated above they do not appraise coins but in the article (quote below) they state prices realised for a few examples that have sold.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/fu...ex.cfm?flash=yes&action=fun_facts2a

"A 1943 copper cent was first offered for sale in 1958, bringing more than $40,000. A subsequent piece sold for $10,000 at an ANA convention in 1981. The highest amount paid for a 1943 copper cent was $82,500 in 1996."

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1943 copper cent(on ebay) doesnt look right, to me. The 3 is fake,from what I can tell,compare to others. I could be wrong. Just my opinion. ???

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
I am sure it was a copper coated 1943 wheat penny.
They have been sold as novelty's for years.

I have had some pennies with Lincoln and Kennedy on the face and one with Lincoln smoking a pipe and one with a cigar in his mouth.

Were common when i was growing up.

Big Mike

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
relichunters said:
Ahhhhhh I am so upset, I was trying to buy one of the rare 1943 Wheat Pennies, which the U.S. Mint says is worth $10,000.

I was winning at bid at $6.70 and with 11 seconds left someone outbid me, I tried doing $21.00 but was outbid then auction ended. He got away with it for $21.50 can you believe that?

Well, you saved yourself $20.99 and the seller should be banned from ebay and prosecuted

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
I have looked at the auction.
I don't think he lied about anything.

The auctions reads "1943 Lincoln Wheat Penny."
In the auction itself there is no mention of this cent being copper.

There is a mention of "copper" in the "ask the buyer" section,
but the buyer could say he meant Copper colored or copper coated or plated.

Mostly a case of "Buyer Beware"
A true '43 copper would be graded to prove authenticity and would be auctioned for thousands of $$$$.

Just my 2 centavos,
Big Mike

B

BIG61AL

Genuine solid copper 1943 cents just don't come up for sale very often. If they do it is usually with a major auction house. These are extremely rare and you'd be an idiot to sell it for only 21 dollars. Absolutely no doubt it was fake and that last second bidder saved you from being ripped off.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relichunters said:
Ahhhhhh I am so upset, I was trying to buy one of the rare 1943 Wheat Pennies, which the U.S. Mint says is worth $10,000.

I was winning at bid at $6.70 and with 11 seconds left someone outbid me, I tried doing $21.00 but was outbid then auction ended. He got away with it for $21.50 can you believe that?

looks like you Lucked out since I'm Sure it's copper plated
And you can see the Bubbles where the steel is showing Through.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
treasuredog said:
The 1943 copper cent(on ebay) doesnt look right, to me. The 3 is fake,from what I can tell,compare to others. I could be wrong. Just my opinion. ???

It does look like a modified 2.

Falcon

Apr 2, 2008
GA
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter
Too many experts out there looking for these type errors to let it get away so cheap. I believe you were the lucky one that didn't get taken here. I wouldn't buy it unless it was certified or in my little-bitty hand to evaluate, and it would have sold for a lot more than it did. My opinion :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions