Cemetery hunting?

y4ng

Dec 23, 2008
Dig up a nice ring and during the night you might get a knock on your door and hear someone saying

giveeee meee bacckkkk myyyyy ringgggg!!!!!

yeah better not hunt in cemeteries. its very tempting i know, due to long histories etc...
but it seems best to leave the dead alone to avoid unwanted troubles with the other world

better to be superstitious than sorry :thumbsup:

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I don't know the rights or wrongs of it, personally I won't do it myself, but others feel differently. I know people frown on it and it gives our hobby a black eye I think, seeing someone digging in a grave yard. The ONLY way is if asked to recover something JUST lost while visiting a grave and I don't have to dig. I have hunted around cemetery's where people used to park, and had the Churches permission to hunt. Just my feelings!!

S

stefen

The only cementary hunting anybody wants to do is if they are looking for a future final resting place... :coffee2:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prospector40 said:
I know a place in western pa, Indiana county, known as the coon hollow cemetery. I used to live within 2 miles of it. Growing up in the early 70's it was a popular party spot, lots of drug deals went on there, as well as other activity (use your imagination). Anyway, today, I could ask people that live within 5 mins of it and they have not a clue that it even exists. Even if it rains or even sprinkles out, you will need a 4X4 to get to it. Most of the head stones are broken, graves are caved in from rotting caskets, junk from years ago just dumped in back portions of the place. I have not hunted it and agree that MDing on the graves and around headstones is off limits.

I would argue that MDing around it is ok, depending on ones personal convictions. I would also argue that by virtue of the location and condition would also allow for "limited" detecting. Reason? Almost nobody knows its there, you cant even see the place in the fall when the trees are bear. This place was written off by the township its in probably in the mid 50's. I would argue that is the greater sin.

BUT!!! If someone was to do some limited detecting, it should remain between the person doing it and their detector. I would still recommend the same courtesy to that place that I would to someone elses property. Fill in holes, take out all trash, and so on.

That is the type of Place You Make Hunting with a Detecter
a Priority.

Do some research. First Find out how Old.

If Pre Civil War, Find out Who Owns it.

(Probably Catholic. Just a guess but most abandond ones around here are
Catholic or Small Family Cemetaries.)

If owned by the Church, Talk to the Preacher about having a conversation
with the Congrigation.

Explain You Love History & Feel Bad for the Condition
of the Cemetery.
Explain there are Probably Civil War Vetrans Buried there
among others & Ask How they would feel about
having the Place Restored to it's Former self
in time for the Next Veterans Day, With Flags Proudly
placed on the Graves.

Of course this would take Community Effort.

& With your Detector you would Be proud to Find
the old Gates if they were there. Alot of the Old
Stones are Probably Buried but most would
have an Iron Pipe in them to set them in the Bases.

There would Be old GAR Stars

!!GARR.jpg
!GAR.jpg

that have been covered
over the years That the Local VFW or American Legion Would
Be happy to Accept Back & Replace with New ones.

Half way Through have a Open House to show off everyones
Progress & Possably get more Volunteers & Donations
Of Fill & Stone repair help.

and at the End another open house Again Show off all the Finds,
which of course you will Donate everyting found or at least
Everything but a few Coins to the church.
Have the Priest do a service. & Get Tons of Locals
to say. "Hey there goes that guy who
found all that cool stuff at the Cemetery.

I Wonder if he'll Search Our place.

Turn it

to this

http://www.bettinger.com/cemetery/views.htm

& Back to something like this

1907 MEMORIAL Service !!!udd.jpg

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Kind of creepy, might find someones gold teeth. :o

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Excellant concept

I got Lucky,
I saw the article in the paper Volunteers Needed.

Enjoyd every second of it.

You can even Contact the Local Historical Commission,
have them Put up signs to Discourage fly
by night Detectorists & Looters
& Have Free Range for you, or your Group

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OPUS1 said:
Kind of creepy, might find someones gold teeth. :o

I didn't find anything Human

Didn't dig the Coffins.

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Now that might be worth the goosebumps :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OPUS1 said:
Now that might be worth the goosebumps :thumbsup:

I was never creeped out doing it.
Spent alot of time alone doing it dawn to dusk.

Never even had a Dream about it

But Still Cannot Swing my Detector in a Cemetery
without Explicit Permission

A

archaeon

just think about someone weeping as they placed a small trinket at a grave of their father or mother, sister or brother...hoping it would remain undisturbed in that hallowed ground. for someone to come along 100-200 years later and scarf it up for greed makes me sick. even if the cemetery is isolated and forgotten, more of a reason to leave it in peace.
as the last headstone topples, signifying the return to the earth for all the people in the ground, as the graveyard reverts to nature, let it be, let it be.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Said before, an old cemetery in town was dug and moved in the 1940's, it was fairly large and is now a park and schoolyard.

Found many period coins from the age of the cemetery there. (1850's to 1940's) Oldest yet is a '66 IH, many other IH's and silver, nicks from V to modern. tokens and some jewelry, yes, a gold ring with a bone in it amid coffin nails. Many coffin handles and some other funerary items that went to the local historical society.

One bottle dump was in there as well as a spot loaded with large horse shoes, maybe draft horses but most likely a nearby farm bordering the then cemetery.

Place still gives up a few goodies now and then.

The dozen or so bodies dug during an expansion of the school went into the fill for another school in the district along with whatever other goodies were interred in that dirt. Contractor didn't want/need the delay reporting the finds would bring apparently, that and his school contact told just get the job done before school opens.

And from one of those "haunted places" websites
Elementary School - Everything from cold spots, to apparitions, to footsteps from the upper floor (when you are "alone" in the building)has been reported here. When an addition was built on to the building, over 13 skeletons were found in the ground under which the school was built. Most of them estimated to be children ages ranging 10 to 17 years of age. if you enter this building after dark, be prepared to hear voices whispering in your ear, as well as screaming from the upper floor (it all seems to be centered around the upper floor) doors that open and close by themselves, and an elevator that operates itself! Many night custodians have fled the building in the middle of their shift, leaving personal belongings, scared to death, refusing to tell what they saw, or heard. And refusing to ever enter the building again.

The contractor who did the work didn't really have any estimates on the age of the skeletons found.
Is it halloween yet?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
archaeon said:
just think about someone weeping as they placed a small trinket at a grave of their father or mother, sister or brother...hoping it would remain undisturbed in that hallowed ground. for someone to come along 100-200 years later and scarf it up for greed makes me sick. even if the cemetery is isolated and forgotten, more of a reason to leave it in peace.
as the last headstone topples, signifying the return to the earth for all the people in the ground, as the graveyard reverts to nature, let it be, let it be.

Only things I Found on the graves were GAR Stars,
in front of the stones
& trash. & Sometimes pieces of Fences that fel down crushing the stones

Reached into alot of broken glass from old Mason Jars etc.
Most likely used for flowers.

Was like Walking into History nothing newer that 1940 I Believe

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope still wouldn't hunt one out of respect for the deceased and their descendants. It is not up to me to decide if an item was lost or ir it was placed there. Now as far as helping to restore a cemetery. I'd be willing to help in cleaning the grounds and helping to fix up broken/vandalised stones rather than letting it completely deteriorate.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Nope still wouldn't hunt one out of respect for the deceased and their descendants. It is not up to me to decide if an item was lost or ir it was placed there. Now as far as helping to restore a cemetery. I'd be willing to help in cleaning the grounds and helping to fix up broken/vandalised stones rather than letting it completely deteriorate.

I Figure IF I didn't do it, Somone else would have.
Because when the Guy from the Historical Commission
showed up, he said he was going to suggest they get someone.

Plus I Enjoy helping people in a way that shows
we can do good with our detectors.

T

trish76642

y4ng said:
Dig up a nice ring and during the night you might get a knock on your door and hear someone saying

giveeee meee bacckkkk myyyyy ringgggg!!!!

lmao........sorry........ but that was funny :D

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
DigginThePast said:

Sorry if I came off as being judgemental, that was not my intention. Your situation sounds as if it was done in an organised manner not some sort of "grave robbery". I just wouldn't want to "shoulder" the responsiblity of making any decisions on found items, I'll leave that up to someone else. I agree that anytime a detectorist can help our image then that is a good thing. :thumbsup:

A

archaeon

DigginThePast said:
jeff of pa said:
DigginThePast said:

Sorry if I came off as being judgemental, that was not my intention. Your situation sounds as if it was done in an organised manner not some sort of "grave robbery". I just wouldn't want to "shoulder" the responsiblity of making any decisions on found items, I'll leave that up to someone else. I agree that anytime a detectorist can help our image then that is a good thing. :thumbsup:

i agree, way to go Jeff!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
jeff of pa said:
DigginThePast said:

I'm aware Different Strokes & All :D

As long as No attacks, Which I Don't see.
I don't get offended by opinions.

As I said, I Respect Graveyards & Personally IF It's going to be done
at least I Know I can be trusted, & Have no Personal Fears about it. :D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I have a Little Archie in me ?