It was definitely not a bomb. In fact, it was four cannonballs from the Civil Wa

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
http://yourerie.com/content/fulltext/?cid=45981
Bomb Scare Follow Up
Reported by: Sky Yaple
Thursday, Feb 5, 2009 @05:25pm EST

Residents at the Soldiers and Sailors Home in Erie had quite a scare last night.

Tonight we're learning much more about what happened at the home, and whether residents were in any danger.

It was definitely not a bomb. In fact, it was four cannonballs from the Civil War.

They’d sat in the home's main lobby for as long as anyone can remember. But these four cannonballs did not have holes drilled in them, and there was no way to know if they were live.

So when a volunteer saw a warning label with the word "beware" on it -- administrators called in the bomb squad.

The bomb squad removed the cannonballs from the building with robots. Then the robots put them in a bombproof truck. Eventually they drove the cannonballs to Erie Sand and Gravel on the bayfront, where they surrounded them with dynamite and blew them up.

The staff at the home says they've moved the cannonballs many times before and never had a problem. But they say when dealing with people's lives you can never be too careful.

Commandant Nancy Stevenson says, "I had a maintenance guy approach me and say I’ve personally handled those. So maybe we went above and beyond but better that than to have been potentially sorry later. We’ll never know for sure. But we really highly doubt that there was any real danger. But again we wanted to be on the safe side when we're dealing with lives, so we took all the cares and cautions that we needed to."

Because of the way police destroyed the cannonballs there's no way to know if they were live or not. Six people who live above the cannonballs had to be moved until they were out of the building.

OP
OP
H

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
this was on tonights news :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor:

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
But these four cannonballs did not have holes drilled in them, and there was no way to know if they were live.

If there were no holes at all (i.e. fuse holes) then they were solid shot.(not explosive) I thought bomb squads had portable x-ray machines so they can determine what's in a package before attempting to move it. This would have told them all they need to know.

R AND R

Jan 25, 2009
Menominee, MI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Sidewinder,Stingray 2, Bandito Classic, 1265X w/ Hot Head 12, BHID 9.5 coil and Garrett ACE 2fiddy!
Prob got "disposed of" in somebodys collection.....Ebay?? lol. Nutty people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread