I know where some time capsules are buried, have permission to hunt

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
To make a long story short I was at a meeting where an old man kept bringing up the fact that 3 time capsules were buried back in 1905. He claimed that the school put jewelry, coins, old maps, etc in them. He claims to know where they are but will not tell anyone the exact location. The only information I got out of him were that the capsules were within 50 feet of an old oak tree next to a small (newly constructed) playground area. I have an ACE 250 and a Tesoro UMax and wanted to know if these detectors were capable of finding time capsules such as these. Are they usually buried pretty deep? Is there a certain technique/method I should use in trying to find them? Any help would be greatly appreciated..:)!!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
grogmug,
you mentioned that the, " community' buried them.
Why? :icon_scratch:

Would think they would be deeper than your 250 will go. ;D

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
It wasn't a community it was a school that is being torn down. I'm afraid that the construction will destroy them and wanted to find them and turn them in. The school has given me permission.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Time capsules were usually put in or under the corner stones
of a building; under some type of marker and the like.

Don't hear of them being in an open field type of situation.

Are you able to see copies of local newspapers of the time.
They would have some type of notice that a capsule was put
down during some type of celebration or dedication.

Best of luck with your quest.

have a good un.
SHERMANVILLE

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
This was done in grade school when I was a kid. It was in a planter were a tree was planted. They used a location such could be found.. They did not just bury it any were.
It may be a bit deep though.

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
I won't hurt to try, i would dig at anything you here. Especially if you have permission.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Grogmug,

Assuming the time capsules have some mass to them (and are metal) I'd say you should be able to pick them up at depth's up to about 2 feet if you run the Ace on pinpoint mode. I'm a realtor and use my Ace every now and then to find the outlines of buried concrete septic tanks.

Keep us posted.

MP

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Cornerstones are very common places for time capsules from old churches and some businesses. Sometimes that stone with the year of construction on it may have something hiding behind it.

At the nearby park a driver hit one of the old brick columns while pulling in and cracked it open. During repair the city crew noticed a metal box inside which was a time capsule from 1905 or so. Think there was a couple coins, a newspaper and some other notions inside.

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I'll be talking to him again soon, so hopefully I can find out something. Where can u find the cornerstone? On the corner? lol......I just want to find the capsules so they don't get destroyed by construction! He mentioned them being buried by a couple of OLD trees in the back of the school....one of the trees was planted right before the school was built. Would they bury it right beside the tree?

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I would start searching around the trees. In your first post you mention about a newly constructed playground. Are one of the trees near the playground or within 50 to 75 feet of the playground? That might an area to look at, between the playground and the tree. I hope this man will give you more information the next time you talk to him. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sue

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
Are they usually RIGHT beside the tree? If they are in an open field situation, where would you look? The playground is newer but its somewhat close to the tree that was planted when the school was built.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
If it is an important local/state building, a time capsule may have been put in a corner stone. Otherwise, if it is just a school class doing it, it more than likely would be put in the ground, typically at a common area for the time. For example, if there was a flower bed or important tree, that would be a good place to put the time capsule. While these are only temporary landmarks, to the people putting the time capsule in the ground, the envisioned it to be a permanent place. If you can dig up an old ohoto of the schoolyard, that has the oak tree, look for some prominent features that may fit into the 50ft vicinity the old timer was talking about. Good luck and keep us posted!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
If you are successful I hope you take note of what's in it and leave it, adding something to it and making some obscure reference to it for future th'ers. Good booze comes to mind.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
How old is the man that claims to know where the capsules are buried? We buried a time capsule when I was in the 4th grade, and for the life of me can't recall where we buried it, and that was only 27 years ago. I still live very close to where I went to school and the area has not changed much at all. To tell you the truth, I haven't thought about it in 27 years. My teacher back then was kind of a hippie and we used to have class outside under a large group of oak trees when it was nice outside. We may have buried it in that area. I guess I know what I will be doing when the ground thaws in the next couple of weeks. I have to wonder what we put in the box back then in the 1981-82 school year. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
glad I brought back some memories for ya..haha. There was a tree planted when the school was first opened and a few other BIG oak trees near the playground (roughly 10 to 15 years old). There is a pretty big area in the back of the old school, so any suggestions on how to find these things on top of what I already told you?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread