Need an inexpensive metal detector - can you recommend one?

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A detector from harbor freight if its just for bolts and nuts and such... they run around $20-30 and will work fine since most of the stuff you will be looking for is lying on the ground or just beneath.

OP
OP
M

mbu

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2009
txkickergirl,

Thanks for the reply!

Your suggestion sounds good...I'll go and take a look at one later today.

For the sake of competitive shopping, can you recommend another manufacturer so I can compare?

Thanks...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
A detector from harbor freight if its just for bolts and nuts and such... they run around $20-30 and will work fine since most of the stuff you will be looking for is lying on the ground or just beneath.

Harbor Freight 1st choice :thumbsup:
Other choices: flea market,Craigs list,ebay,yard sale,etc. Any brand would probably do for your needs.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would not try harbor freight.

You should get an entry level bounty hunter. They are cheap, but they wont fall apart so quickly. You can find them at some walmarts and radioshack.

Larry

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah the bounty hunters are probably your next bet they are a bit more but you can also do some coin shooting with it

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tesoro compadre or fisher 1212x-----low cost/high quality and they don't need a handfull of batteries to operate

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
yeah the bounty hunters are probably your next bet they are a bit more but you can also do some coin shooting with it

You cant beat a Bounty Hunter for the money!
But you cant get a cheaper one than Harbor Freight.

I have Bounty Hunters and am completely happy with them as being good all around detectors and easy for beginners to use.

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Compradre lifetime warrenty. great machine turn and go.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to point out is that if you are looking in an area for bolts and things you might of lost and its a machine shop environment with metal shavings littered around and such, then a tesoro would not be the machine since they are sensitive and will pick up tiny fragments. But if you really just want something for bits and pieces why not just sweep the place with a board that has magnets on it.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

mbu

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2009
Goodyguy said:
It would work just fine. White's is an excellent brand!
I guess we/I misunderstood what you meant by inexpensive.

Goodyguy,

Sorry...It seems that most of the detectors you all use are well over $1000.00! I'm not looking for one that does everything but I don't want to get something that will not last very long. I guess what I'm asking all of you experts is what is a good detector without paying a lot for a name? But...maybe a name is well worth it!

OP
OP
M

mbu

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2009
txkickergirl said:
One thing to point out is that if you are looking in an area for bolts and things you might of lost and its a machine shop environment with metal shavings littered around and such, then a tesoro would not be the machine since they are sensitive and will pick up tiny fragments. But if you really just want something for bits and pieces why not just sweep the place with a board that has magnets on it.

txkickergirl,

This is for farm work and sometimes things fall off in a grassy field etc. and they are not just "nuts and bolts" but are about that size - I'm sorry I wasn't specific! I tried using a magnetic sweeper that was 18" in width but that never worked - perhaps the grass was too deep and bumpy. I was hoping to use a metal detector as some of these parts may be aluminum or brass.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
If you are out to get the cheapest of the cheep that will find nuts and bolts lost in the grass while doing shade tree auto repair, I bought one for $20 at a kragen auto parts store. It will perform to your specifications.

The harbor freight models may be a step up, but never can tell how long they'll last, for more $'s.
Radio shack is another step up and you may be able to take it back if it fails.

The Tesoro Compadre is a quality machine for minimal cash outlay I prefer to advise.
About $150 new, w/lifetime warranty.

Your call!
;D

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mbu said:
Goodyguy,

Sorry...It seems that most of the detectors you all use are well over $1000.00! I'm not looking for one that does everything but I don't want to get something that will not last very long. I guess what I'm asking all of you experts is what is a good detector without paying a lot for a name? But...maybe a name is well worth it!
Because of personal biases toward one brand or another you will have a hard time getting everyone to agree on a single brand or model that would be best for you.

With that in mind I suggest you try this link that leads you to a discussion board here on Treasurenet of the different brands and models and their strengths and weaknesses. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,208.0.html There you can gather more information to base your decision on.

*Or just get a Bounty Hunter like me and it will do exactly what you need it to do. I promise. :thumbsup:

Sincerely,
Buddy~

* personal bias.

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of times you can cut the cost in half by buying used on one of the forums...here or others. Give that a look. I don't have a Tesoro but if I wanted to do what you say...I'd say they are right on target. Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread