deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably wont be so much the rust i think...more the tiny bits of metal that will stick to it and be almost impossible to remove....

You ever get a metal splinter...one of those itsy-bitsy things you can barely see under a microscope....?

You'll get plenty trying to brush them off your magnet.

Al

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
deepskyal said:
Probably wont be so much the rust i think...more the tiny bits of metal that will stick to it and be almost impossible to remove....

You ever get a metal splinter...one of those itsy-bitsy things you can barely see under a microscope....?

You'll get plenty trying to brush them off your magnet.

Al
That is true. those do not feel very good. I dodnt think of that. I guess plastic over it wouldnt keep the water out. Im really not an idiot LOL :tard:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
Has anyone here used the big retrieving magnets to find things under docks and things like that? I just received mine in the mail today and now just waiting for the lakes to unfreeze.

You got a pic of that thing?
How big is it?
Where do I get one?

I bought one at Harbor Freight But its not all that big.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The dimentions are 1" X 2" X 5"
I got mine off ebay for about 19 bucks shipped from gun lake building supply. It says it lifts up to 150 pounds. I made the mistake of putting it on a metal cabinet i have and had one he!! of a time getting it off of there.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 378
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 363

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Now that's a magnet! Are you sure only 150 lbs? looks like it would do more.
I bet you could lift a 40 hp outboard boat motor with that thing.

Check this one. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36905

Here is mine. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36904 It says 150 lb pull but it's much smaller than yours.

Oh and the warning says :nono: keep magnet away from people with pacemakers it will cause failure.:help:

*update I just got back from Harbor Freight got the 250 lb. one also 75 ft of 3/8" Polyester rope with 300 lb working load.
Think it'll lift an iron chest of gold coins off the bottom of a lake? ::) I wish ;D
Underwater doesn't everything weighs less. :icon_scratch: Anyone know how much less?

Like fmrUSMC asked. Anyone have any experience with these?

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
the problem is most things of value are not made of steel an if it is buried in the mud a magnet will not pull it thru unless it is very close.Could find an old gun or steel pocket knife or maybe a foreign coin that is made of steel.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seas1to2 said:
the problem is most things of value are not made of steel an if it is buried in the mud a magnet will not pull it thru unless it is very close.Could find an old gun or steel pocket knife or maybe a foreign coin that is made of steel.

Or a stainless steel box full of diamonds or a waterproof Rolex watch or ......... :icon_scratch: Well there has to be more, someone help me out here.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We may not find anything of value but at least it will be fun!!! im with goodguy, you never know what you may bring up!!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself a cheap Tupperware container that the magnet will fit into. Unscrew the eye and punch a hole in the tupperware lid to fit. Screw the eyebolt back in. You can drag, then remove the bottom of the Tupperware container to dump the magnetite. I have three attached to a piece of scrap 1" angle metal & a bridle of rope to pull it. I personally like using a metal bar with 4 or 5 grapnel hooks spaced along it. Used to drag the piers in California did real good with these rigs.

WARNING!!!!! If you're putting it in the car be sure NOT to get your finger between the magnet and the car, it will take a nice little chunk of meat. (Lesson well learned) :icon_jokercolor:

If you want to plastic coat it try using the Liquid plastic sold at most hardware stores to coat tool handles. Liquid electrical tape works ok but not as good $ costs more. Not to mention it doesn't come in all the pretty colors. Harbor Freight has better prices than EBay, and if you fill out the card or register on the Net, they send you 20 - 50% off coupons fairly regularly. So that cuts the price down even more. Hope that gives you a few more ideas.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
Has anyone here used the big retrieving magnets to find things under docks and things like that? I just received mine in the mail today and now just waiting for the lakes to unfreeze.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,210583.0.html

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willie d said:
fmrUSMC_0844 said:

Thanks for the link it led to three others. After reading all the posts I'm really pumped to try it now! :thumbsup:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,200561.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,200271.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,18206.0.html

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 250lb retrieving magnet I purchased at Harbor Freight here in town. I then stopped by Lowes and picked up some liquid rubber in a can that I could fully coat the magnet in (I coated it about 6 times total), as well as the screw-in O ring. I had to make sure it was coated well because I planned on, and ended up using it on salt water around a 1,000 ft fishing pier.

It definitely worked well, and I pulled up all kinds of random things. There were LOTS of fine and gritty iron pieces that stuck to it, and I didn't have much of a problem at all cleaning them off with the coating I put on it. I also found fillet knives, a pair of working pliers, broken parts fishing poles, hooks, and lots & lots of lures! It was fun... but it's kind of a pain on the arms continually pulling it in for more than 45 min's at a time. The other issue is all the people who either stare or "have" to ask if you've found anything. So I kinda prefer going out there when there isn't many people on the pier.

Oh, get yourself a pair of tacky rubber gloves... because that wet rope is merciless on your hands!!

Bran <><

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
I have a 250lb retrieving magnet I purchased at Harbor Freight here in town. I then stopped by Lowes and picked up some liquid rubber in a can that I could fully coat the magnet in (I coated it about 6 times total), as well as the screw-in O ring. I had to make sure it was coated well because I planned on, and ended up using it on salt water around a 1,000 ft fishing pier.

It definitely worked well, and I pulled up all kinds of random things. There were LOTS of fine and gritty iron pieces that stuck to it, and I didn't have much of a problem at all cleaning them off with the coating I put on it. I also found fillet knives, a pair of working pliers, broken parts fishing poles, hooks, and lots & lots of lures! It was fun... but it's kind of a pain on the arms continually pulling it in for more than 45 min's at a time. The other issue is all the people who either stare or "have" to ask if you've found anything. So I kinda prefer going out there when there isn't many people on the pier.

Oh, get yourself a pair of tacky rubber gloves... because that wet rope is merciless on your hands!!

Bran <><

Thanks Brian,

I wonder if using a 2000 lb. battery powered winch would be helpful I could carry it and a car battery in a wagon and maybe clamp it to something secure? Like this one at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92860 I would replace the cable with poly rope 300lb test.

Attachments

• winch.gif
    winch.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 347

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy said:
willie d said:
fmrUSMC_0844 said:

Thanks for the link it led to three others. After reading all the posts I'm really pumped to try it now! :thumbsup:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,200561.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,200271.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,18206.0.html
You're welcome. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out yesterday to a small dock at a fishing pond. I found a lot of old hooks and bait jar lids, a pocket knife, and a pair of fingernail clippers. Not bad for my first time!!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good catch fmrUSMC :thumbsup:

I haven't gone yet....well I did go down to the Ohio river to have a look, the water was so high and so fast and angry that I reconsidered, thinking that if I latched onto a fast moving underwater car hood it might pull me in with it ;D

I'm pretty sure the magnet would come loose before that happened though but I did think about it. Plus I haven't coated mine yet. But I do have it "rigged" with a turnbuckle and a quick link so I could change from the 250 lb. to the 150 lb magnet easy enough. see picture below.

Attachments

• magnets.jpg
    magnets.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 185

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions