Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend shot a copperhead out from under my foot I was about to step on, that's as close as I have ever come. We were squirrel hunting with .22 rifles in a creek bed. When he shot I thought he had gone nuts! I don't now which would have been worse, being snakebit or being shot? :D My mother got bit on the knee by a copperhead when she was 10. She still had the scars where they slit her knee open to relieve the swelling. She was 20 miles down a country road from a hospital and she said her leg was swollen to twice its size and she was getting delirious when they finally got some anti-venom shot into her. She was sick for about 3 days and then slowly got better with no apparent ill effects. Monty

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coachwhip bit into my boot in Death Valley, but not in the skin.

Scorpion got me in Louisiana but it is non-poisonous there, Emergency room thought it was funny :icon_scratch:

Brown Recluse got me in Texas and now I have a nice big round hole in my arm.

Rodney B.

Feb 2, 2009
We have a lot of those brown recluse and black widows in this area (Ga.) and I can`t think of many creatures that look as bad as the black widow.
The worst bite i`ve had was from several yellow jackets when I ran over there hole with a tractor and they swormed. I thought I was going to die because my throat swoll up and I couldn`t breath properly.
Read where more people die from insect bites than snake bites by a large margin. Theres only 4 species of poisinous snakes native to the USA.

OP
OP
sasnz

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
yea i have seen some vids on utube about the brown recluse, man they sure do pack a punch of venum. Sure as hell wouldnt want to roll on a nest of them that is for sure.

sasnz

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not afraid of snakes because I look for them before I step, a product of spending much of my youth in the deep woods. I highly respect them, however and don't play around with them. One guy brought a huge rattle snake to work one day and dumped it out on the floor and then held it up and kissed it on the lips. (Do snakes have lips)? I was a cop and packing a .357 magnum, and I was ready to shoot one or both of them. I found out he had sewed the snakes mouth shut. That i diot! I do fear spiders. Mainly because I am near sighted (an age thing) and I can't see them up close. I nearly stuck my hand on a black widow last summer and it scared the heck out of me. Brown recluse spiders are very common where I live and I have seen them in my garage. I spray to the saturation point with insecticide but you just can't keep them out. So, I really watch where I put my hands when moving things around in the garage. I have had one to run across my hand and it scared hell out of me and I am fearless! :wink: Monty

Eddie08

Jul 23, 2008
When I was young and dumb in New England I would always try to catch milk snakes around my parent's garage. There was one monster that had to be a good 4 feet long, I would catch him every summer just for the heck of it. Of course that snake would always get a piece of me during the capture. Can't remember how many times I've been bit by non poisonous snakes but it has to be at least 10 times. Never messed with a poisonous snake in fact now I try to just leave them alone. Guess I've learned not to mess with them, took long enough.

S

stefen

cork426 said:
A guy I worked with was bitten by a small sidewinder rattlesnake and lost about an inch off his ring finger. Had to be amputated from gangrene. I see Mojave Green's once in a while and wear snake chaps in the spring & summer. Also, I don't wear headphones while detecting because if a snake wants to let me know i'm approaching his area, I really want to heed his warning! The Green's terrify me.

Greens are the most aggressive of all rattlers and have a potency that is about 40X greater than a sidewinder or diamondback...

They will actually come after you...nasty bastards.

Sierra Kid

Feb 7, 2009
Mojave Desert CA.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300, Falcon MD20
Yeah, the Greens are very, very dangerous. They are the most dangerous rattlers in the Northern Hemisphere. Not just one poison, but two! They have a neurotoxin that shuts down body functions and a hemotoxin to break down flesh for easy digestion. They do not back down either. If you come across one they will stand their ground. The ones I have seen have not been very long, 3 or 4 feet, but very thick. In the summer, they come out in the morning and at dusk to avoid the heat of the day. I go out in the mid-day summer heat because I know they will be hiding and staying cool. I still wear snake chaps though. Get bit by one of those babies and you may not make it to the hospital. I ran over (by accident) a Panamint Red rattler last spring. Very pretty color. They like to sun themselves on the blacktop in the mornings before it gets too warm. Cork

Sierra Kid

Feb 7, 2009
Mojave Desert CA.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300, Falcon MD20
Flying is dangerous.

Attachments

• copilot.jpg
    copilot.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 709

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Suddenly the chilly Northern Illinois winters don't seem so bad after all. Keeps them big snakes away.

Anybody know what these huge wasps that live in the sand are? Never saw one before the early 90's and I think some desert folk must have accidently brought them up here. They stay in the playground sand and what other dry sand they can find around here, about 2 inches long with a fat body and will come up and hover around the hole if you walk near it.

Got a passel of 'em in the schoolyard out back. They love buzzing you away from their holes but so far haven't known one to sting anybody. Scary beasts.

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I had a pet garter snake. Dern thing bit me so I decided to let it go in the field beside my house. I thought it'd enjoy eating bugs and rates better than being caged anyway.

I'm not scared of snakes but I do respect them. I remember as a kid going on vacations in Florida and stopping at these roadside tourist attractions and watching some guy milk a rattlesnake. I always thought that was cool.

R AND R

Jan 25, 2009
Menominee, MI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Sidewinder,Stingray 2, Bandito Classic, 1265X w/ Hot Head 12, BHID 9.5 coil and Garrett ACE 2fiddy!
Nope, but shot a wheelbarrel full while hunting. I was always bad about "moving the furnture" in the deep woods. Rattlers,copperheads,Watermocs, Diamondbacks....... Down south they never"goto sleep" for the winter, first warm day bang! their back out! I think that's why they are so darn big down there. Up here in the U.P. of michigan there's supposed to not be any except for pine snakes which are mildly posionus. Out relic hunting,keep the .38 with the CCI ratshot handy and use the most important defencive weapon your brain!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Suddenly the chilly Northern Illinois winters don't seem so bad after all. Keeps them big snakes away.

Anybody know what these huge wasps that live in the sand are? Never saw one before the early 90's and I think some desert folk must have accidently brought them up here. They stay in the playground sand and what other dry sand they can find around here, about 2 inches long with a fat body and will come up and hover around the hole if you walk near it.

Got a passel of 'em in the schoolyard out back. They love buzzing you away from their holes but so far haven't known one to sting anybody. Scary beasts.

I think these are the wasps you're referring to:

http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~hollidac/cicadakillerhome.html

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
You may be wrong about that. I've been told that garter snakes do have fangs but you have to shove your finger down their throat to get bitten because the fangs point inward. Good thing too because the same person said they are one of the most poisonous snakes in the United States. I didn't care enough to research that data. If it is true Montana was probably bitten by another green snake called a grass snake. If data was true I don't think he would have survived a garter snake bite. siegfried schlagrule

you need to do some research. Garter snakes are NOT poisonous and do not have fangs. I was bitten by one when I was a kid. All snake fangs point inward. They actually fold up into the mouth when it is closed, sort of like on a hinge.
If you belief all that guff about garter smakes, I have a couple of bridges you just have to buy.

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davew0710 said:
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
You may be wrong about that. I've been told that garter snakes do have fangs but you have to shove your finger down their throat to get bitten because the fangs point inward. Good thing too because the same person said they are one of the most poisonous snakes in the United States. I didn't care enough to research that data. If it is true Montana was probably bitten by another green snake called a grass snake. If data was true I don't think he would have survived a garter snake bite. siegfried schlagrule

you need to do some research. Garter snakes are NOT poisonous and do not have fangs. I was bitten by one when I was a kid. All snake fangs point inward. They actually fold up into the mouth when it is closed, sort of like on a hinge.
If you belief all that guff about garter smakes, I have a couple of bridges you just have to buy.

True dat. Otherwise I think the pet store where I bought mine would have faced a HUGE lawsuit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions