Question About Property Markers ???

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife's cousin owns a fence business and he asked me which detector he should get to find property markers. I know he will never take up detecting as a hobby so it just has to be good enough to locate the markers. I've only used high end detectors so I'm not as familiar with the beginner machines. Would something like a Bounty Hunter from Walmart be good or maybe an Ace 150?

What do you think I should recommend?

Thanks for the help.
NJ

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Wouldn't that depend on what the property marker was made out of (iron, verses pot-metal, verses high conductor, etc...) ? And whether or not it is known the "general location" of where it is? Different geographic locales, and different eras, may result in different type/composition/depth markers. Can he compare off of neighboring known markers what the signal/TID might be?

Based on the few I have found for persons who've requested the service of me (using a standard coin machine, opening up the disc, and listening in the areas they suspect), is that the junkiness of the location comes into play. I found one in a street (under asphalt) so there was no mistaking that. But I can only imagine the frustration that would come if you were supposed to be finding one under a metal fence (or a fence lined with chicken wire, or something metal, etc...).

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:
Wouldn't that depend on what the property marker was made out of (iron, verses pot-metal, verses high conductor, etc...) ? And whether or not it is known the "general location" of where it is? Different geographic locales, and different eras, may result in different type/composition/depth markers. Can he compare off of neighboring known markers what the signal/TID might be?

Based on the few I have found for persons who've requested the service of me (using a standard coin machine, opening up the disc, and listening in the areas they suspect), is that the junkiness of the location comes into play. I found one in a street (under asphalt) so there was no mistaking that. But I can only imagine the frustration that would come if you were supposed to be finding one under a metal fence (or a fence lined with chicken wire, or something metal, etc...).

Thanks for the reply.

I know squat about property markers. I thought they were all made out of the same metal. He installs fencing so he would have a map of where the actual marks should be so it is just a matter of finding their exact location. In most cases the old fence was ripped out or there was never one so interference should not be a problem.

NJ

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The markers for residential lots around here are just pieces of steel 3/4 " rebar about 3 feet long so they are fairly easy to find with about any detector. Monty

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
NJ & Monty, iron rebar is what they are made of nowadays, but is it known for sure that that's what they were made of 50 yrs. ago? 75 yrs. ago? 100 yrs. ago? etc.. And although "3 ft. rebar" sounds like a pretty easy target, that's pointed straight in the ground, right? So in reality, you are really only detecting for the pointed top, which is a much lesser target than if laid on its side?

NJ, I only gave a metal laced fence as an example. The "junk" could be anything. A lot of times in the old days (and still to this day on farms, country homes, etc...) people burn and or bury their trash in their backyards, etc... Sometimes backyards can have a lot of metal debri from years of accumulation of yard work, etc... My own house was built in 1964, and I've found over 100 coins (all clad, 1 wheat) in my front and back yard, in addition to various household knicknacks, foil, tabs, slag, etc... (must've been kids that lived their before us). That's just an example of the type things a detector can sound off on, besides a property marker. But if Monty is right, and you know for a fact you're looking for an iron marker, you can ignore all conductive targets. Of course, if the yard is full of nails and iron junk ........ oh well :(

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Most markers in town (around here) are steel rods.
I've found markers out in the country that are an old axle, grader blades, etc.

Usually in town I find one and then measure the distance with a tape and within 6"
is the marker.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your replies.

NJ

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an industrial detector designed specifically to locate long iron objects, especially vertical. manufacturers make detectors for this purpose. Check their industrial detectors.

I personally use an fx3 and can tell you they will go crazy anywhere near an iron property marker. It will locate iron pins with ease in the fields or woods. However they may be way too sensitive to use if automobiles, propane tanks and other large iron objects are near by

White's makes a valve/box locator that may be more to his liking if he is going
to be in close quarters to large iron......hope this helps

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
First, check the county or twp assessor's office online to see if there's aerial views of the property online. This gives a great idea of where to look for the pins. Then a good MD, plenty in the midrange will be able to locate them in no time.

Have done this for neighbors many times but only when there is not a dispute. The pins can help describe the legal definition of a given property only when decided by a judge however.

As an example, a walkway went in between our house and the neighbors house for the schoolyard out back. This way kids could legally cut through our yard instead of going around the block. Our property's southern pins, and our next door neighbors northern pins are exactly in the middle of the walkway, at the east/west ends. So three feet of our yard and the same amount of the neighbors yard became an easement of the school district.

Our neighbor wanted this decided legally so the surveyors came out, took the numbers to court, didn't change what happened but did get him reassessed at a higher rate despite the loss of yardage. We kept quiet and it didn't cost us anything extra.

Don't get me going...

Anyway, yeah, a midrange detector should do just fine with a minimum of practice.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lowbatts said:
First, check the county or twp assessor's office online to see if there's aerial views of the property online. This gives a great idea of where to look for the pins. Then a good MD, plenty in the midrange will be able to locate them in no time.

Have done this for neighbors many times but only when there is not a dispute. The pins can help describe the legal definition of a given property only when decided by a judge however.

As an example, a walkway went in between our house and the neighbors house for the schoolyard out back. This way kids could legally cut through our yard instead of going around the block. Our property's southern pins, and our next door neighbors northern pins are exactly in the middle of the walkway, at the east/west ends. So three feet of our yard and the same amount of the neighbors yard became an easement of the school district.

Our neighbor wanted this decided legally so the surveyors came out, took the numbers to court, didn't change what happened but did get him reassessed at a higher rate despite the loss of yardage. We kept quiet and it didn't cost us anything extra.

Don't get me going...

Anyway, yeah, a midrange detector should do just fine with a minimum of practice.

Who shovels the walkway when it snows??? ???

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
N.J.THer said:
Lowbatts said:

Don't get me going...

Who shovels the walkway when it snows??? ???
The school district sends it's skinny truck over and they plow it down, tearing holes in the cyclone fence and making it look sooo much better. The bent posts add flavor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions