FBI removes mortar round, live cannonball and other old ammo from 71yo collector

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
255471.jpg

The Virginian-Pilot
© February 13, 2009
Fred Harrell knew the cannon ball was a piece of live ammunition. He could see the fuse.

"That was what made it so exciting to own," said Harrell, pointing to the spot in his home where the ball rested, until this week.

For 10 years, he'd occasionally pick up the Civil War munition, move it to his carpet, dust his fireplace hearth, and put the cannon ball back. But Wednesday morning, Harrell finally heeded a friend's warnings that any jostling might make the ball blow up.

Harrell called the FBI on himself. The FBI asked the Virginia Beach police to check it out.

Now, Harrell is 71, and he long ago joined the Sons of Confederate Veterans. He wears a big white beard to look the part and keeps the back room of his house as a mini-Civil War memorial. He has portraits of all the Civil War generals, a Robert E. Lee knife, the Confederate flags that recently adorned his mother's grave.

And a fireplace hearth outlined with projectiles: like a 10-inch, 87-pounder, a fragment of a 13-incher and the one that might blow up.

The cops took that one. Harrell asked whether they would bring it back if they found out it wasn't active.

"They said, 'There won't be nothing left to bring you back a souvenir,' " Harrell said.

He was disappointed about that. Martha Pinkerton, his girlfriend for the past 43 years, bought it for him for $20 in Fredericksburg.

Then the police saw two other things: a suspect mortar round and a World War II grenade that Harrell's uncle had given him.

"Look at this," Harrell heard an officer say of the grenade, "it still has the pin in it."

The police turned those two munitions over to the Navy.

Again, Harrell told them he hoped they would find the grenade harmless and return it.

"I doubt that will be the case," Harrell said. "They probably thought, 'He could live without that live grenade.' "

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Yes, that was last year. There was a relic hunter who regularly cleaned and I believe even diffused munitions. Those people are truly nuts in my opinion and they also are a danger to the public. They found shrapnel from the Richmond blast well over a quarter a mile away if I remember correctly. Some stuff just isn't worth the risk.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better safe than sorry. :bom:

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
an another reson for cities to band metal detecting,this adds more fuel to the fire for sure, but at the same time bringing home live ammo is not safe,don't care if you have 100 plus years exp.

M

michigan michael

Cool story!

Back in the mid 80's we had a collector in town that built a war museum. This was a real sweet place. He had armored transports with fully armed machine guns, jeeps with mounted arms, an M60 and live ammo for it! He had live grenades, a cache of fully automatic weapons and that was just the WW I and II stuff. He had suits of armor, swords, (medieval and civil war!) canons, medals, uniforms, you name it he had it. I use to go there as a kid and spend hours reading hardcore newspapers that lay around on tables for everyone viewings. Scrap books from history that would give todays kids nightmares! It truly is disturbing the things Hitler performed. Its one thing to read about it in books, another to read real newspapers and see personal photos of the events. Sorry a little off track.... This was a wonderful place for any and all history buffs! The place still sits here in Dundee MI. It is right behind subway restaurant. Its just a green building without any advertisement. If you ever make it to Dundee stop by I think he is only open on WED. though. All of the active ammo, frags and automatic weapons are gone now. It seems that the ATF does not favor people having items like these. The museum was raided some time in the late 80's early 90's Its been a few years since I have been in there. I took my boys in for a glimpse of true life history. The man told me a story of how his parents took him and fled Poland as the Reich was advancing in their direction. He had a lot to say. I could of stayed for story time all day. This is the real deal place. The smell of must and dust covered items truly makes for a Grandpa attic experience everytime. Thought I would share this related story.
MM

OP
OP
E

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
Cool story!

Back in the mid 80's we had a collector in town that built a war museum. This was a real sweet place. He had armored transports with fully armed machine guns, jeeps with mounted arms, an M60 and live ammo for it! He had live grenades, a cache of fully automatic weapons and that was just the WW I and II stuff. He had suits of armor, swords, (medieval and civil war!) canons, medals, uniforms, you name it he had it. I use to go there as a kid and spend hours reading hardcore newspapers that lay around on tables for everyone viewings. Scrap books from history that would give todays kids nightmares! It truly is disturbing the things Hitler performed. Its one thing to read about it in books, another to read real newspapers and see personal photos of the events. Sorry a little off track.... This was a wonderful place for any and all history buffs! The place still sits here in Dundee MI. It is right behind subway restaurant. Its just a green building without any advertisement. If you ever make it to Dundee stop by I think he is only open on WED. though. All of the active ammo, frags and automatic weapons are gone now. It seems that the ATF does not favor people having items like these. The museum was raided some time in the late 80's early 90's Its been a few years since I have been in there. I took my boys in for a glimpse of true life history. The man told me a story of how his parents took him and fled Poland as the Reich was advancing in their direction. He had a lot to say. I could of stayed for story time all day. This is the real deal place. The smell of must and dust covered items truly makes for a Grandpa attic experience everytime. Thought I would share this related story.
MM

Don't tell the FBI it is there...........

Ray S

OP
OP
E

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments