New to MDing, but did research. What is best? Where to get it?

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to MD'ing, but did research. What is best? Where to get it?

Ok 1st off hello everyone!! I got into MD'ing about a year ago and did alot of research then on what to buy for a starter (im 27 years old, and had a cheapy MD from radio shack 10 years ago). I then faded out of it when i lost my job, and never got the ACE 250 i was going to buy last year. Im back now, and really want to get one this time as the funds now allow. Ok... I was really planning on the ACE 250, but was checking out a whites prism 3 and 4 and they seem like they are also good machines. Of cource he was a whites rep and wanted me to buy one, but seemed everything he showed me with them worked well. About $150 more then the ACE 250, but willing to put the money there ONLY if it will work better then the ACE 250. Seemed the ACE 250 has similar bells and whistles as the middle of the line whites machines. I live about 3 hours from the beach, so will do some beach hunting/sand dry and wet (as some people say the ACE works well in wet sand, other say no) Not sure what to think of that. I live in PA, so there are alot of old things to be found here in the center of antique city (adamstown PA). One of the declarations of independance was found a mile from my house behind a old painting. The treasures are here. LOL. I mainly am interested in coins and rings. When i go to the beach I am going to concentrate on trying to find old coins from some of the ship wrecks which people say old coins wash up all the time. I know where most of the ship wrecks are from talking to the locals, and research and know exaclty where people are finding the good stuff, or where it usually washes up. I hear the word "quinees?" and "half pennies?" come up alot. So wanted to know if the ACE 250 will suit me well for my needs? What about depth? I am willing to put out $400 or so if I need to, and if...IF I can get something that will be better then the ACE 250. I do like the little read out screen that shows battery meters, depth, whats in the ground, ect. Just like the whites. I didnt however like some of the tesoro machines i was looking at because of that reason. being a begginer I want to sort of see whats going on, and not do everything on sound alone.... for now anyways. I dont want to blow $400 on a MD if the ACE 250 will work just as well as some higher end models though.

Also, where is a good place to buy to get most for your money? Like extras included? I hear alot about kellyco. Seems they have decent package deals. $212 shipped is about the cheapest I found, and most places have them for that. What else do you recommend getting with my MD? coils? pin pointers?

Also I seen a youtube video on the "Firefly" for night hunting. Its a light that hooks up to the ACE 250 and give visable signals instead of beeps. Do these work well?

Sorry for all the questions, as the next few posts will be crucial in my buying decision. I will be ordering something here within the next week or so. So your guys input will make my decision.

THANKS A TON!!!!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: New to MD'ing, but did research. What is best? Where to get it?

Hi Saltfisher and welcome to the forum.

There's a bunch of us in Pa. ...check out the Pa forum when you get time.

I'm a White's man myself. Been using their machines since I started detecting back in the early 80's. Good prices and great customer service from what I've heard. Never had a problem with any of their machines and I think I've owned 5 so far.

You'll get a lot of positive comments on the Ace. A lot of people on here own them and swear by them.

Kellyco is a good place to deal with. I've made a couple purchases from them and it was easy and quick.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Al

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

if your looking for the salt water beach maby you should look for a used prizm 6t, the whites warranty is transferable or a fisher f-5, both have GB and i believe salt setting, a little more than you want to spend, but sounds like a better fit.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

All I can tell you is that I am very happy with my Ace 250. I don't have to worry about saltwater beaches out here in the frozen sticks but it works just fine in freshwater lake and river sand. I bought mine from Kellyco last March and paid the same as they are now. From everything I have read the Ace 250 is just as good as the $400 to $600 detectors out there. I plan on trying out a few of the higher priced models from different manufacturers and might get another detector but I won't get rid of my Ace. It's just too good to let go of. I will keep it for a back up or to let someone use . It is very easy to learn and use so it would be great for a kid or a friend that wants to try detecting with me.
I guess what I am trying to say is spending the $200 now and maybe more later is my advice. I really don't think you will be dissapointed. Later on if you want a higher priced model you will know more about detectors and can make a more informed decision.

Happy hunting and welcome to Tnet, Charlie.

sjarchangel

Sep 13, 2008
Delaware
Detector(s) used
V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can't go wrong with either the Whites Prizm or Ace 250. The most important thing to remember is LEARN THE MACHINE!

:-)

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey - lots of good advice here! Have you looked at the Fisher F4? Or how about the Fisher F2 - I know there's some awesome coil packages going on right now that give you a LOT of bang for your buck and both of those are comparable to the ACE 250.

Go here: www.KellycoDetectors.com/compare <--- and select the F4, ACE 250 and White's Classic 5ID. You can compare their features and prices and get a better idea of how they line up next to each other. I think it'll really help!

Lemme know if you need help with anything related to Kellyco - that's what I"m here for!

- A

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions