how to ask for permission??

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an example to try. Kevin

Date (opional)

Your address here (opional)

Dear (Land/Property Owner),

I feel that a letter before hand is a better emissary than knocking on your door or calling by phone at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy.

This may sound like a strange request, so let me introduce myself. My name is (your name here). I have lived in (your town) for (number of) years. (More about self if you want to tell)

My hobby is metal detecting, or more commonly called, treasure hunting. I've been engaged in the hobby for about (years) now. I find that it is a good source of exercise and a great way to meet many interesting people.

Recently, I have researched information about your property and the area surrounding it, goes back many years.

I want you to know that I respect all properties that I search and leave them in the same condition that I find them in. Normally, the targets that I uncover are no more than four to six inches deep, and that I retrieve them in a way that the ground appears undisturbed.

In addition, I would like to offer my services to you. Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a favorite piece of jewelry or other valued metal object. I would be glad to try and find it for you, just for the thrill of the search.

If you consider giving me permission, I've enclosed two set of forms that I've already signed and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Two are Permission forms, the other two are Personal Liability Waivers. Please read them and sign all four copies. One of each are for your records, the remaining two copies, please return them in the supplied envelope for me to place in my records.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me anytime. My phone number is listed below.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

(Sign your name here)

(Type your name here)

Phone #(here)

DATE!

Mr.XXXXXXXX
This may sound like a strange request, so let me introduce myself: My name is (Your Name) and I have lived in (Name of Town) for (Length of Time). I am (Your Age) years old, married with four children. Normally I would prefer to approach you in person, however I feel that a letter before hand is a better emissary than just knocking on your door at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy.
I have been engaged in the hobby of metal detecting for twenty years and find it a healthful, enjoyable pastime that allows me to meet many interesting people. The thrill of finding old coins, buttons, etc. is very exciting to me.
Recently, I have researched information that your property and the area surrounding it goes back many years. I would like to obtain permission for myself and a friend to detect your property.
I want you to understand that I always respect the property that I search and try to leave it in the same condition that I found it. Normally the targets are no deeper than 4 or 5 inches and I retrieve them such that the ground appears not to be disturbed.
In addition, I would like to offer my services to you. Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a valuable ring, a cache or a farm tool. I would be willing to assist just for the thrill of the search.
I have enclosed a self addressed envelope for your convenience and would be happy to meet with you if further discussion is required.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
(Your Name)
(Telephone Number)

OP
OP
YankeeDownSouthAdv.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevin ,

thank you very very much!! i will copy these and try one and see if it works...thank you again!....gregg

east tx digger

Jan 21, 2009
chandler, tx
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Alot of people like to send letters for permission, and that is fine, personally I prefer to speak with an individual in person, but I always have a (letter of wavier due to accident) with me. Relievinging the owner from liability due to accidents. It is also a good idea to have an agreement on found treasure with you if they ask "who gets the Treasure". I don't bring the subject of accidents up, unless they do. No need to shoot yourself in the foot before you get started if you know what I mean. If they seem curious, but, nervous about possible injurys, then bring out the release form, but let them bring the subject up. I have found that most people don't even think about it, especially if you intrigue them about the possible history that is buried on their property. I like to show them a couple of old coins that I have found on other hunts, and that usually peaks their interest. Good Luck and HH.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Ocal,
I think I'd lean a little toward east Tx's recommendations of an "in-person" request. When you're on a man's porch, shaking his hand, he'll be better able to "size you up". While I'm more of a surface hunter (Indian artifacts), I'm yet to be turned down in asking for permission to hunt. To be fair about it, I live in a small town, and I'm a Family doctor here, but still yet I typically just pull up to the property and look for the land owner. In doing this, the owner can see what I'm driving, look me over, and more times than not, he'll even offer some advice as to where I might have the best luck. I'm sure that one of these times I'll get the "thumbs down", but when I do I'll attempt to be just as courteous.
If you have a friend or acquaintance who refers you to a particular site, have that friend put in a good word for you before you drive out to ask. This helps, and often I'll hear, "Yea, ol' Bill said you'd be out to see me".
This is just my opinion, but so far it's worked out for me.
Good luck with what ever approach you decide to use. Remember, don't get discouraged if you're turned down. Sentiments change over time, and so do land owners. Word travels fast in the country and if you become abrasive, others will know it.
I'm sure you'll fine,
docmann

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
ocalasix said:
all,

how do you folks who get out on old land,farms,etc ask the owner for permission?present yourself,etc...thanks for your input and help in advance..off to work for me...gregg

hey Gregg,

I too believe in the meet to get permission, kind of like a job interview. dress neat, be polite, and talk without 4 letter words lol

If I can't find the land owner I use the tax books to get that info, sometimes they have a number and I call or if I send a letter I also list folks that will be a reference for me and know they also will be respectful if called. (Which I have had done to me once or twice) land owner call the references and check to see on me. I even list other owners in area they might know that have given me permission.

Like others have said and I myself was brought up where a handshake is your word and these old farmers and land owners still believe that. So if you tell them something your gonna do, do it. Pick up all the trash you find. Some of the trash to you might be something they can use especially when it comes to farm machinery. Nothing more important than your word. Some places I have even helped (worked for) the old man or lady with a few things to basically pay for my access. Or after I have been there I bring back a thank you gift like a jar of jam, etc

Once you have one in an area you pretty much get more and if it is a small community they will know of you before you knock. You be surprised how word passes in a small town of folks. Same with meeting them, a lot of retired folks in old small towns hang out in one spot having coffee and talking about stuff. But you'll need to rise early most are gone by 9 -10 am

Lastly if you do get turned down, still thank them and wish them a great day.

Finds are a different story and all of us feel differently. I pretty much show them what I found if they are around or ask. Once at a old farm house I dug an old gold and silver broach that when I showed the lady she said it belong to her grandmother. Sorry I myself can't keep something like that regardless of the value. So I handed it to her and said I am sure you have a daughter or granddaughter yourself that would love to have it.

Now my friend, take your lovely wife out and meet some real ole time southerns down where you are

Shawn112

Feb 9, 2009
Colorado
I have just recently started metal detecting and am in the process of getting access to land. While talking to someone at work the secretary said her family owned the property of an old fort. Since the community is kind of small I just call the people and ask for permission. I also ask if I can meet up with them so they can show me their land and if they know any good spots to start at. One couple that owns a large ranch told me to go find their hired man and have him take me around and if doesnt to give her a call. :o

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Bridge End,
If you treat a land owner like that, you'll have a friend for life. It's amazing how just a little consideration will do that for you. I also agree with helping out. If they're shuffling some hay around, roll up your sleeves and help. Likewise, if a man will leave a location in just a little better shape than what he drove in on, you'll never have to apologize. I believe you're right on target.
docmann

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ocala, I think it's always best to ask in person, nice day, when you're dressed well and in good spirits.

You may wish to show samples of what you hope to find.

Offer to share with the owners, especially if something valuable is found.

Some of the Tnet folks have presented owners with a plaque of curios found on their property...

The letter below looks pretty good, if that's the only way you have to contact someone.

WoW! Shawn sure is doing well with phone calls.. We should all be so fortunate!

I wouldn't say 'targets', I would say old coins and buttons, maybe...

Be sure to advise them you never leave a mess, and they'll probably not even notice where you searched.

Have fun!
Share the fun with them!

:thumbsup:
rmptr

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
East Tx is right: DON'T send cold-call letters (like the one suggested by Kevin at the start of this thread). ALWAY'S find a way to "bump into them" and make casual small talk. Like, you're an amateur history buff, and you're researching a site (stage stop, camp, old foundations, etc...) you've found out is located on their back-40. So you were wondering if you could go take some pictures of it, and ... etc... etc..." If that works out, morph the conversation to metal detecting, etc...

The reason not to send cold-call letters is simple: Think of it, what do YOU do when you receive junk mail from total strangers? Throw it away, right? ::) And I would also discourage any talk of waivers, insurance, etc... UNLESS THEY BRING IT UP FIRST. Because if you go putting contracts and legal papers in front of a total stranger, that's the quickest way to conjure up fear of "what if's", when in all reality, the guy might've been happy with a handshake and never even thinks litigically like that.

OP
OP
YankeeDownSouthAdv.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks bobby,and the rest of you guys who put your points up for thought, i totally agree on on face to face and will see how it goes this weekend...will let you guys know how it goes..gregg

Shawn112

Feb 9, 2009
Colorado
Well i called the guy that owned the property for the "old Bent Fort" and found he had sold the land to another. I called that guy and he siad he had sold the land to someone else. I called that guy and he said neither had owned the land and the land has been in his family for 100 years. I asked for permission and he said no :'(. I really think once I told him my name he was going to say no, no matter what, does not like my job. Anyway Ill lok else where and see what I can find in the Arkansas Valley.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Shawn,
Are you referring to Old Bent's Fort near present-day Lajunta? If so, that place has an incredible history. As you probably know, the original one was constructed by William Bent in 1833 to do business with the trappers, frontiersmen, but William Bent became a great friend to the Cheyenne Indians and traded heavily with them. In the late 1840's, he tried to sell the fort to the US government who offered him about $4,000 less than he was asking for it. Consequently, he packed it full of gunpowder kegs and blew it up. He ended up moving about 35 miles down on the north bank of the Arkansas where he built his second fort. William Bent, along with his son George Bent, have an incredible story. His son is buried not far from where I live. Both were history makers and their lives read like a frontier novel (although true and well documented). The point of all of this is that having access to either location would be a historian's dream. If I'm not mistaken, however, the more recent fort has been reconstructed and is an active historical site where people can visit.
I know nothing about the present owners, but my guess is that he is bombarded with requests to visit the site from MDers, artifact hunters, archaeologists, historians, Indians, writers, and who knows who else. I wouldn't take it too hard as I would guess that it's probably off limits for almost everybody.
Keep your chin up and continue to ask.
PS: If you're interested in frontier history, pick up a copy of "Halfbreed". It's a true story of the Bents, the forts, and how they lived with the Southern Cheyennes. I live in the middle of the Southern Cheyenne Nation, and consider myself a student of their fascinating history. You'll not regret buying or reading it. Sorry for the tangent, but I'm always looking for a chance to discuss Native American history, especially regarding the Cheyennes.
docmann

Shawn112

Feb 9, 2009
Colorado
The area, the fort, I was talking about is where the old Prowers Bridge is located, right on the Prowers and Bent County line. Some here call it the old fort some call it the new fort, not sure which one it is. Im sure people ask to go there and its property so he can do what he wants. Im not upset or disappointed Ill just move on find another place. My partner is the historian so Ill let him do some research on where to go. Thanks for the info though.

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Another neat thread.

I have YET to walk up and ask permission to hunt a propertyā€¦ā€¦but thatā€™s because I donā€™t have gear yet (Iā€™m seriously narrowed down to an MXT).

BUTā€¦..when the time comesā€¦.I have no reservations walking up and asking to hunt. Iā€™m an outgoing fellow and would walk up to the door with detector in hand (that alone may peak some interest).

The pitch I intend to use???

ā€œHello! My name is <Gary in Pennsylvania> and I live on <My Road> in Roaring Brook. My daughter and I are admitted history buffs. And thatā€™s what we do for funā€¦..find history. Youā€™d be amazed at what may lie just inches below your feet! My daughter and I would LOVE to see what sort of history your property is hiding. It looks like itā€™s been around for a few generations. Our ultimate goal is to respect your groundā€¦.weā€™ll be careful so that you wonā€™t even know where weā€™ve dug. And youā€™re more than welcome to watch or see what weā€™ve found. Is that OK? ā€œ

And even THAT is a little wordy.

My daughter (9yrs old) will be my huntinā€™ buddy, and her presence will also likely be a good ā€˜ice breaking calmer-downerā€™ for the property owner.

Iā€™ll let ya know how well it works!

-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread