Metal Detecting in the Rain?????

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hi fellow TH's

I was almost goign to go detecting today in the rain but thought better of it. I currently have a garrett 2500 and although i have a cover that goes over the head unit i thought that moisture would surely get in over time and possibly create some problems within the unit. When i say rain i mean rain and not drissle.

I was just wondering if anyone hunts in the rain or is this really a little risky for the machines.

Sasnz

east tx digger

Jan 21, 2009
chandler, tx
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Unless you have a waterproof machine I wouldn't advise it, plus if there is any lightning associated with the rain, it could be very dangerous.
If it was just a drizzle, a 1 gallon ziplock bag works ok, but these machines are to exspensive to risk it in a downpour. Just my thought on the subject. Good Luck and HH.

native conch

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2009
south florida
Detector(s) used
white's mxt300,white's bhid300,garrett ace 250 and minelab excalibur2
Whenever there is any chance of moisture I take my bhid300.Don't like to gamble. ;D

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I have a Fisher 1266 and if it's not a downpour I put a garbage bag around the battery compartment an over the control box. I think it would be more of a risk using a detector with a digital screen in the rain and wouldn't advise it. I had a Garrett 500 and the first thing I had go wrong with it was the digital screen and I think it was from moisture. Fisher had trouble with the F75 when they first came out with them because of moisture getting into the control box which I think they have since fixed with a rubber seal. Good luck hunting.

Wolverine.

saika

Feb 23, 2009
If the electronics can be disconnected and placed under my coat I go out no problems. A big thick ziplock bag over shaft mounted equipment usually works well. Just avoid playing with the buttons when out there and hunt in audio mode if possible. I have done it for years and never had a problem.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
CZ-20, no problem. Detected in torrents before. As long as I'm not out in the lightning, it's all good.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Hunt in heavy rain all the time with my Troy X5 and we get 500 mm in a month on the west coast. Sometimes I will switch to the Detector Pro Wader light and good for 8-9 inches. Dan :thumbsup:

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you can protect your machine but, what about the mud on everything. I usually wait until at least a couple of days after.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rain=research...see, they both start with an "r"

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
I have a GTI 2500 too but I never wanted to take the chance of moisture getting into the controls and shorting out and it isn't going to rain forever.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Can't afford another one, so don't chance getting it wet. I usually head for dry spots like under bridges, Highway overpasses, etc. Have had some pretty fair finds rather than ruin the day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread