Ordered an ACE 250 Today....

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
It's a good thing too; my almost new White's Classic 5ID is already giving me problems. I went for a short MD expedition this afternoon at a local park. Near the end of the hunt I noticed it was quieter than normal, then with a wiggle of the loop cable it would beep like a NY taxi. Seems to be the loop cable connector or the jack it fits into. I must have less than 20 hours on this machine. Before you start with the 'operator error' or 'abused equipment' comments, you should know I've been an electronic tech for over 35 years.
Is White's this prone to malfunctions? Has anyone had similar experiences with the 5ID?

BTW, I got the ACE 250 for a friend who wanted something light; I based my decision on all the comments here about how good they are. Thanks.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the White's is still under warranty, send it back. My XLT has been abused with many hours on it and still works great. I still have my first detector, a 20 yr old Garrett Master Hunter 5. I have mistakenly left it in the garage over winter several times. I have had it completely apart, repaired and replaced a few connectors and it is still going strong, just outdated, LOL. I am also an Etech. Amazing how components, especially connections/connectors can cause so many problems. That Ace 250 is a nice machine for the price and a great beginner detector, I have one. Be sure to get a coil cover for it, the coils are made with a cheaper plastic/epoxy and tend to break after awhile. HH, Mike

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
based on all the good reports I ordered an ace250 for my grandson boy is it a coin getter and I kind of like using it myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread