Harmless Hobby Or Blatant Vandalism?

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
note: I haven't seen this posted anywhere on site. If it already has been, sorry bout that.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- For 30 years, Eddie Black has been scouring area parks for treasures.

"It keeps me from being a couch potato," said the 66-year-old retiree Monday afternoon. "I'm old and I get to come out and keep myself in pretty good shape."

Over the years, Black said he's found old coins, wallets and even "a French Cartier watch a few years ago at Cherokee Park .... worth about $2,000."

Black is a member of the Bluegrass Loop & Coil Club. A few months ago, he said, a Metro Louisville Parks employee approached him and other members of the group.

"He told me: 'Sir, do you know it's against the law to metal detect in the park?' Of course my answer was: 'No I did not.'"

When Black inquired about the law , he said he learned that national parks and Kentucky state parks did outlaw the practice, but that no ordinance existed in Metro Louisville.

Instead, Metro Parks recently enacted an uneforceable policy against metal detecting in parks.

"In fulfillment of mission, it is the policy of Metro Parks to prohibit removal of any cultural objects of archeologoical, historical or antiquarian nature," the policy states. "Metro Parks prohibits the private use of metal detectors on the lands under its management."

Black said his group feels Metro Government is discriminating against his group.

"We feel like it's a wholesome hobby for everyone, and yet we're banned and it's considered criminal mischief now," he said. "We're a little disappointed the city has taken that stance with it."

Metro Parks Director Mike Heitz said the park system wants to keep in line with federal and state laws.

"With the states not allowing it and the national parks not allowing it, it would be our parks that would be used," he said, adding that his office is currently drafting an ordinance that would give police arrest power if they catch someone metal detecting in the parks.

"You're defacing our parks and we don't want people out there just digging them up, looking for things, and covering them back up," said Heitz.

The Bluegrass Loop & Coil Club has started a web petition to fight the proposed ordinance. So far, it has more than 1,500 signatures.

Black said his group will abide by the policy, but vows to fight what he calls an unfair decision.

"I certainly didn't know I was going to be a criminal for doing these types of things but obviously I am," he said.

http://www.wlky.com/news/18727654/detail.html

link includes a video report

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Jocap,
That's about par for the course. With all of the drug-dealing, gang-banging, child-stealing, and car-jacking that goes on in city, state, and federal parks, we need new laws to arrest and jail these notorious retired scoundrels before they turn over another 4 square inches of sod. Never mind that the vast majority of these folks are upstanding, honest, and probably leave the areas in better shape than before they arrived. Of course, we all know that artifacts (of any age) are much better off buried in several inches of dirt where nobody can enjoy or study them. I know that's how I'd like to have my tax money spent.
docmann

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Whats the point of leaving important things in the ground? metal detectorists find needed artifacts from history all the time. So it's better to leave them in the ground and let them get ruined, rather then preserve them? Seriously it's stupid.

Is coin collecting illegal? NO! they have 200 year old coins, but if we touch one, it's illegal for us.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I read articles like this it makes my blood boil!

"archeological artifact" my A#@%

Did you realize that this year a common Lincoln memorial cent becomes an "archeological artifact"?

This is an all out attack on our freedom as taxpaying AMERICAN citizens!

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
The archaeologist are the culprits here. They think that they should be the only ones that can have a private collection of anything. Just like the forest ranger that says you can't pick up an arrow head, why because he feels that they are all his, you know that all of the ranger's & the archaeoligist have a very impressive collection. We are not talking about national treasures here we are talking about a 1958 wheat back. As for their laws thy suck, in high school I drove a 1958 international truck. Due to the laws of antiquity I can no longer pick up a part for that truck it is a artifact. It might be a good idea for the administrators of all the links like this one to get together & form a group to fight these laws, Even if we need to start a donation fund to assist with the legal fees, I for one would be willing to contribute.

OP
OP
jocap

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is absolutely sickening...and yes it's the archaeologist that are behind it.

All people here and at every other detecting forum need to start speaking out more on this subject. If the trend continues at the pace it's going metal detecting will be banned outright ( probably private land as well) under the guise of everything undergroung having historical value and only archeologists have the right to them.

Across the country, the vast majority of land is PUBLIC for public use. Yet the public will be treated like criminals for making use of their own land.

Archaeology was once center on antiquities in the thousands of years range. In many areas the law only allows metal detectorist to find article 50 years or younger, if they are allowed to detec at all. There are bottle caps that age! The whole process is out of control.

Like I said above, we here and through out the web as metal detectorist need to really start standing up and getting our words in. It's a one sided conversation at this point driven by archaeologist, their lobby and the crooked politicians that pass these laws. In their eyes, this isn't about what's best for the general public that OWN the majority of the land in the USA. This is about what works out best for them and who's pockets get lined at the peoples expense.

Let's start speaking up folks!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's be honest, we care because we enjoy the thrill of finding "stuff".

There has always been a "bad feeling" between Archie's and MD'ers.
Both think the other one wants to ruin the other one's fun so to speak.

Sadly the Archie's here won and we got some harsh laws, but they managed to put together a master piece.
As they eliminated a lot of hobbyists and "minor" illegals, yet the "BIG" thieves still roam. They don't give a damn about any law.
Yet it was the goal to stop the "big" thieves. It was and still is a complete disaster, and us hobbyists are stuck up with harsh laws..

Did you know thanks to that many finds and such are never found and as a result Sweden is more then ten (10) years after Denmark in historical research? Quite cool no?

Regards,
Eu

PS. I don't think this is solely a matter of the "finds" but rather also a political conflict. :-\

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent a complaint to them and suggested before banning detecting they require a permit or a license to detect similar to a hunting or fishing license. It would have also generated a little revenue and go ahead and fine the violators. HH where you can, Mike

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bavaria Mike said:
I sent a complaint to them and suggested before banning detecting they require a permit or a license to detect similar to a hunting or fishing license. It would have also generated a little revenue and go ahead and fine the violators. HH where you can, Mike

Heads up for you and every one else who dares to stand up for our in common hobby! :thumbsup:

I agree a license would be good, and an ok from landowner should be all you require to MD. Maybe some basic knowledge on presurvation of objects would be good, i.e. go a course to get the license. :)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand,
The Antiquities Code cannot be used to prohibit any activity on any State, County or other State Subdivision Lands UNLESS a Landmark Designation has been made by the State Commission. Such designations must be proven with Historical surveys' and or digs on such lands.
Otherwise a statement that "Metal detecting on city park property is prohibited under the Antiquities Code" is simply incorrect and may be ignored or challenged in court.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread