Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Just a though about states that require you to turn in any items over $20 va

alpha105 said:
If you find a gold coin worth $1,000.....are u required to turn it in?.....the answer is no (unless they have an age requirement also). The coin....according to the gov is only worth face value.......numismitists put the 1,000 value on it. Therefor legally you can keep it....as a lawyer =)

If I find it, it's mine, case closed....as a digger =)

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Just a though about states that require you to turn in any items over $20 va

Iron Patch said:
If I find it, it's mine, case closed....as a digger =)

oh trust me i agree....my finds are MY finds

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ok wise guy, you just opened a can of worms: Suppose if, in states/cities with such a law, that someone finds a diamond ring or gold bracelet in a sandbox or beach (not a un-common possibility, eh?) that's easily got a sales-counter value of at least the given benchmark amount?

Such was the case of a recently circulated story in the pacific northwest, where a couple eyeballed a diamond ring in a grocery store parking lot. They took it to a jewelry store in this small town, to "see if it was real". The store ... after some rigamaro .... recognized it as a "be on the lookout" item they received word on (to see if it turned up in a pawn shop or jewelry store, etc....). They called the police, who paid a rather .... uh ..... "unpleasant visit" to the finders. The finders tried to say "we only found it" and "we weren't trying to sell it, we were just checking to see if it was a real diamond", etc.... In the end, the couple got in trouble for JUST the type laws you cite: that found property over a certain dollar value, don't just simply go to the finder (ie.: "finders keepers" rule). That has some very INTERESTING ramifications to md'ing, esp, jewelry hunters, eh? :icon_scratch:

The law states (if you want to be technical), that you must turn them in to the police station, and if no one claims it in XX number of days, you can keep it. But man, I'd be afraid some corrupt police outfit would merely inform you at the end of XX days "it got claimed, scram"

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as my post shows i mean more in the coinage area of finds. But as for diamond rings and such.....u wouldnt want to lose ur wedding ring, and if found wouldnt u want it returned. I mean though it is their own damn fault for most likely being careless.......still would be nice to see in owners hand. Now as for a 1910 gold coins or something......doubt the owners gonna claim it....or attempt to

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
alpha, sorry, my starting with "wise guy" was meant to be in humor. Sorry if that came across wrong :-X

Yes, persons who loose jewelry would be more than happy to get it back. But to my knowledge, no one seeks to return rings that don't have an obvious ID on/in them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll go the way of the Monkeys on this one

See%20no%20Evil%20%20Speak%20no%20Evil%20Hear%20no%20Evil%201.jpg

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a nice diamond earring once....didnt look for an owner...how would you?

So if you're searching in silent mode, and a tree falls in the woods....does anyone really give a hoot if you dig a coin of value and keep it?

I've never looked into the "Finders-Keepers" laws around here. Don't really care.
What I find is mine. If returnable....and to date I've never found anything worth returning, I would...that's just because that's who I am...not any law compelling me to.

Say...what are the odds that over 20+ years of detecting, someone never finds a returnable item?

Maybe that's another topic.

Al

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are really into returning everything you find, you could always run and ad stating they must describe it to claim it. Just don't have the ad go something like this: "Found womens gold wedding band with 13 diamonds in a crescent shape with initials ML inside band". Call 555-5555 to claim it". You will get a dozen calls from "owners" who lost the ring! Yes folks, there are some dishonest folks out there in our society. When my dad had something he wanted to be rid of but didn't want to pay to haul it off he would put it outside his fence by the road about dark with a sign "for sale". By morning it would be stolen. He use to really laugh about it. He said none ever lasted more than 3 days without being "stolen". Monty

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
If you are really into returning everything you find, you could always run and ad stating they must describe it to claim it. Just don't have the ad go something like this: "Found womens gold wedding band with 13 diamonds in a crescent shape with initials ML inside band". Call 555-5555 to claim it". You will get a dozen calls from "owners" who lost the ring! Yes folks, there are some dishonest folks out there in our society. When my dad had something he wanted to be rid of but didn't want to pay to haul it off he would put it outside his fence by the road about dark with a sign "for sale". By morning it would be stolen. He use to really laugh about it. He said none ever lasted more than 3 days without being "stolen". Monty

Lol...guess I'm not the only trash picker.....

Stopped by a place one day and there was a really nice antique desk next to the road by someones driveway. I stopped and went to the door and asked if I could take it.

The woman was elderly and thanked me for asking. Someone had stopped by the day before....when they were moving....and took stuff they couldnt fit in a pick-up that they had left for the next trip.

She did let me take the desk.....but she was upset that someone took stuff she wasn't throwing out...just because it was close to the road.

It pays to ask...even if it looks like trash.

Al

XT18000

May 26, 2008
We as a whole ARE being watched 24/7 ! Keep the lips closed on any thing

other than clad and in the end you will be glad !

HH

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Since I wouldn't know anything about the value of any ring or other thing I find, and the cops here wouldn't either, I'll make the necessary call in my favor.

BTW, I've shown the cops here lots of finds, gold, silver, old, new, they always thought it was cool and moved along, after asking the usual things about where to get a good detector.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, maybe the next time someone finds a gold ring, they ought to remove the stone, smash it with a hammer so that it is unrecognizable and sell it as scrap! I mean if you are going to go to jail for finding a lost ring!!!

I know I am :evil4:

I don't think I will post anymore of my ring finds >:(

Shawn112

Feb 9, 2009
Colorado
All state laws are going to be different :icon_study:. 99% of the cops are good so it you do turn it in and no one claims it youll get it back. If you wanted to leave a note in the ground where you found the item letting the owner know you found his thing and will return if if he calls you. Case closed.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shawn112 said:
All state laws are going to be different :icon_study:. 99% of the cops are good so it you do turn it in and no one claims it youll get it back. If you wanted to leave a note in the ground where you found the item letting the owner know you found his thing and will return if if he calls you. Case closed.

Good Idea !

dear sir/Madame This Diamond ring initials J.D.K. was found
5-24-08 at this Depth (6") on this Beach.
If it was yours, Contact me at [email protected]
& Supply Proof via Store Receipt.

Or

Dear Archie: This CSA Plate (See Pics) was Dug at the Coordinates 234 Degrees etc.
on 3-9-09 it was exactly 12" Deep. "since it Isn't
the item that matters but it's place in the ground"
Please add this to your Records so they are complete.

OR

CACHE Found Here.
If Yours Contact at cashfinder@ & Describe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Shawn112 said:

You're gonna be changing that phone number!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread