Where should I start on this property???

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I'm so excited. I have the opportunity to hunt a private property that is dated back to 1682!!! So here is what is on the property:

1. Spring house
2. Rock which was part of the original 1682 home
3. Depression: probably where the tunnel came out of the underground railroad
4.Flat area where the carriage trail was to the upper part of the property (where the 2nd house was located but not part of this current site)
6. Old trash dump from around the 1930's
7. Mica quarry area (small)
8. Stream, where a gold ring was known to be lost
9. Depression where there was a huge old sycamore tree cut down
10. Front yard of the 3rd house built on the property, still several hundred years old but has newer additions
11. Wooded area that was a known pathway

So ........list the order you would hunt these areas! I just can't decide where to begin.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
No idea, not there. Give me an address and I'll try to show you!

redwolf74

Jan 6, 2009
Bloomngton, MN
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000D
I would start with either the footpath or the home. I would think that those would be most likely to have things that may have fallen from a pocket or bag. I would also check around the base of trees near the homesite as well. Base of trees would be likely place to hide a cache.

redwolf

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anywhere seems to be a good start, what an awesome site! I would try to do a grid pattern through the whole area or at least detectable areas. The sunny side of the house would have had a clothes line. Pictures of the site would be great. Good luck and HH, Mike

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would walk the property lines and hit below/around all of the biggest trees. Good luck!

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Mike, grid it off..hit the spots one by one with just a cherry picking type hunt at first and see what grid will be the most productive. hunt it hard and move to the next :wink:

so many great locations like that you'll be hunting that property for while :thumbsup:

Good Luck

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
cntrydncr1,
I would start at the "Old trash dump from
around the 1930's"

Would dig deep and try to find why folks
were using it as a trash dump in the 30's.

Under that 30's junk could be some nice finds. :wink:

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

RickyP

Feb 13, 2008
Prairieville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Explorer SE, Whites DFX
It really depends on the amount of time you have to hunt the property. If you only have permission for just one hunt, you've gotta hit the areas that had the most traffic and you have to do the ole "cherry picking" hunt. Dig only the solid signals and dont spend anytime on the Iffy signals. If you have permission to hunt it at your leasure, then it really dont matter where ya start.

S

stefen

Let me know when the weather clears this spring and I'll schedule a flight into the Philadelphia International Airport....

We can work on the plan of attack when I get there :thumbsup:

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250

The stream would be the center of many activities... swimming, fishing, watering animals, clothes washing, maybe picnic-ing (picnicking?). Look for any paths that cross the stream and detect in the water if possible. Also, picture the entire estate under different conditions -- i.e. dark of night, snow-covered, flooded/muddy, etc. I would research previous tenants and try to learn their occupations --- look online for old maps and census reports. Sounds like you can't go wrong with any choice.

Good Luck!!!
Dan

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 said:
I'm so excited. I have the opportunity to hunt a private property that is dated back to 1682!!! So here is what is on the property:

3. Depression: probably where the tunnel came out of the underground railroad
4.Flat area where the carriage trail was to the upper part of the property (where the 2nd house was located but not part of this current site)
6. Old trash dump from around the 1930's
7. Mica quarry area (small)
8. Stream, where a gold ring was known to be lost
9. Depression where there was a huge old sycamore tree cut down
10. Front yard of the 3rd house built on the property, still several hundred years old but has newer additions
11. Wooded area that was a known pathway

So ........list the order you would hunt these areas! I just can't decide where to begin.

my gussess
1. Spring house
2. Rock which was part of the original 1682 home

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10, 9, 8 & 2 would be my first priorities.

Stuff rolls off porches, laundry was done and hung out to dry not far from the house and the lines would be tied to trees or poles.
Trees were popular picnic areas and the streams were also good gathering places.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread