does anyone save old handmade nails

S

stefen

Why save them when new ones are still available from some hardware and lumber suppliers?

I've have had a box in my wood shop for maybe 20 or so years...come in right handy as a door stop.

Just my opinion of why not to save nails...now, belly-button fuzz is another thing that's actually worth saving. ;D

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Isnt their a difference between handmade nails and the square cut nails you buy today?
The modern square cut nails are extreemely hard and are made to nail furring strips to concrete blocks.

S

stefen

Good question.

The nails I have are made (actually handmade) to replicate the old handmade nails...used for replacements...will rust and age quickly...

R AND R

Jan 25, 2009
Menominee, MI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Sidewinder,Stingray 2, Bandito Classic, 1265X w/ Hot Head 12, BHID 9.5 coil and Garrett ACE 2fiddy!
I've got some I dug at CW campsites that are as clean and strong as the day they were made! Hey I'm a Fisher guy! ;D. of course I'm gonna keep nails! lol. Sometimes they look new after being in the ground for 146 years, it's strange. I wish my one enfield socketed bayonet looked as good, just about rusted into nothing. I also have a "horse" pistol ramrod that was bent into a pot hook that's clean as a pin still has the end and the cup on the end for ramming the ball down the barrel. Poss. Heated iron? lasts longer?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Kept a few I found from a trading site dated to the 1840's. Large spill by the way the find looked.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
jrwill56,
have some.......here and there :icon_scratch:

Sure, think lots of folks keep them.

Someone somewhere keeps everything you can think of. ;D :wink:

have a good un.................
SHERMANVILLE

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Absolutely! The hand forged nail has been around since Biblical times, and has a facinating history. The nail helps to date your site, so why not keep them?

The cut nail made its appearance in the mid-1700's. For example, Thomas Jefferson established a nail factory at his Monticello plantation as a way to increase his farm income. His nail factory made both hand-forged and cut nails. It would not be until the middle-1800's that cut nails began dominating the marketplace. Cut nails are not actually "cut"--they are sheared from steel plate that is the thickness of the nail shank. Although routinely referred to as "square nails", the cutting machine tapers the nail shank as it is sheared from the steel plate. A second machine forms the head of a cut nail. The square nails in the above photograph are made in this manner. With the hand-forged nail, all four sides are tapered. With the cut nail, two sides are parallel because they represent the thickness of the plate they were sheared from.

Cut nails could be manufactured much faster than hand-forged nails. As the process was mechanized, the cost per nail was less. However, cut nail factories employed operators and attendants for each machine so the process was still labor-intensive. The noise in those mills was deafening as well. Cut nails had their heyday from about 1820 (development of the Type B nail) to 1910, the advent of the wire nail.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
logcabin spike's i'll save.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread