Does this offend you???

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Another question from the newbie Gary.

Here's my question:
My Myers-Briggs Personality Type is an ENTP.
I'm very outgoing yet can be fiercely competitive.

And now I'm into metal detecting.

So......how's it go in this community regarding hunt locations? My personality is veeery wary/protective about revealing where I plan to hunt or just sharing good prospecting information in general - that is until I've hunted the place to death!

And it's not like I want to know where YOU hunt. It's not like "I want the opposing team's playbook". I'm happy as hell and excited for all of you and the spots you're hunting. But I'm not dying to know where that is.

But I am protective about sharing MY spots. Am I a 'rare-bird' in the MD sport? Does that make me a 'non team player'? It's not going to change the way I am.....but at least I'd like to know how the typical MD culture views information sharing regarding hunt spots. That way I can better 'cushion' my responses to some questions.

If I get asked 'where didja find THAT???', I won't say until I've finished the spot.

Who else is protective of their hunt spots?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
If I find a public spot that's good, I tell everyone. Since no one in this community actually believes anyone would do such a thing, it doesn't matter.

Private spots are just that. After a day at my doctors, I usually don't have too many private spots left....

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Gary in Pennsylvania,
welcome. ;D

"If I get asked 'where didja find THAT???',
I won't say until I've finished the spot."

Fine with me; knock yourself out.
Aways nice having, "your own" spot. :wink:

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I never tell anyone where I'm going or where I have dug. I do show my finds to other people. I broke down and took a metal detecting friend of mine to an old mining town that I have been digging for six years. He is strictly a coin and jewelery digger, I dig iron. He dug up a few pieces of iron and said how interesting it was and commented that he was going to buy the same brand detector that I have to find more iron. (His detector did great on iron). Two weeks later he did buy that detector. Now there is that possibility that he may be going back to that town on his own.

Jan 1, 2008
Alexandria Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Gary, I know I would not be offened if you did not share your spot. I had a great spot once and told a person about it and he brought
a whole slew of people over from another State and they cleaned it out. This was a civil war camp site and I had been making some
good finds . So now I pretty much keep my sites to myself. Happy Hunting!!! Ben

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each His Own.

Depends on the Situation.

If it's My spot researched By me, Permission Aquired By me,
I like to make the first day Mine.

However If one of my Hunting buddies is Free I won't hide the fact
I'm going to a new site from them. and will invite them along.

IF A friend Does the work, & Invites me it is a different Story
unless they say it's OK To bring others.

I Have no Problem saying where the site is.
& If they go without me later I am usually OK with it,
as long as they think the same.

Cache Sites, once I get Confident on the Research.
I'm more Protective of What I Say.
And Don't discuss them no matter how much I want to.
Except with friends who are helping with the research.
And will be Involved If permission is granted.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only ask that question here on Treasuenet through PM. I'm not one to poach some one else's sweet spot, just curious as to the general location. I find it interesting on how the item found (execpt money) and area connect. Some tell me some don't that is OK.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
You could tell them the name of the nearest town or just the county
and then keep on into the conversation. Knowing the town name isn't
much help and the county is even less help. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
You could tell them the name of the nearest town or just the county
and then keep on into the conversation. Knowing the town name isn't
much help and the county is even less help. siegfried schlagrule

Oh.....THAT's OK. I'd share the town. No biggie there.

I am sooooo excited to actually go out and hunt, though!
Waiting on gear (rather, the 'funds' for gear) sucks!

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
That wouldn't offend me. However, being a newbie a couple of weeks ago at a club meeting I visited, a nice fella told me about finding an old volleyball court. He said he pulled a bunch of quarters out of it. I asked if he would let me in on where it was. He said it probably still had lots of coins there. To my surprise-he told me.
I went over and found it. I had a wonderful time because this was the most coins I had found in one place. Although, he must've only dug the quarters and dimes, because it was still full of pennies. But, the fun was in the finding! I dug till my back hurt. Man, I had a blast.
I am so grateful that he shared this spot with me. It was the best time I've had since I started detecting.
DB

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
dustbuster said:
I am so grateful that he shared this spot with me. It was the best time I've had since I started detecting.
DB

Well, I'm either gonna hit the ground running.....or I'm gonna learn me some hard lessons.
But I have a gut feeling that I'll be alllllright.

My free time is limited - I'll have to push the boudaries just to get plenty of MD time in let alone attend club meetings. I currently have a surplus of great sites in my local area (we're talking 10 miles or less). Most of them private and I have the bridges already built to get me on those sites.

I intend to take digital pics of the spots I hunt and I will likely share a 'what it looked like' pic to accompany any of the finds that I post.

AFTER I've hunted it, of course! <grin!>

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't share any information, because once you share it, you can't get it back. Only a handfull of folks know where I hunt--and they are the ones in my team.

It's funny--most folks will not give out information here, which is probably a good thing. But I caught hell here from a few members for blacking out the place information on an 1880s dog tax tag that I found last year. Go figure. I'd rather show the find than not show the find--especially since it is worth more to a tag collector than most of the coins that are posted on this forum from week to week.

My choice. Live with it.

Likewise, your choices are yours. And nobody would or should harass you for that in any way on this forum. If they do, Report Them. 8)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well depends on the site, my hunting buddy is (to say the least) to incompetent to do any research, or even to ask for permission.

That results in me doing ALL the work. >:(

But I only bring him to sites that are likely not to be to good and are modern to. :-X
Meaning around 1850's and forwards. These are very easy to research and there for that is no problem for me. :icon_sunny:

But if it takes over about 1 min to find the location, and it's older then 1850's I won't bring him, never ever. :tongue3:
And I only give away the approximate position. :thumbsup:

He's way to lazy to be worth to taken to a good place. I would only be annoyed. :cussing:

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
damn if you werent such a tight wad i'd share my locations.lol.some people are just greedy,not that you are the 2 year old thats says mine all mine.lol.hope that dont offend you.just threw in a pic some local finds not all.

Attachments

• DSC04018.JPG
    DSC04018.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,183
  • DSC04589.JPG
    DSC04589.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • DSC04018.JPG
    DSC04018.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,193

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve71 said:
damn if you werent such a tight wad i'd share my locations.lol.some people are just greedy,not that you are the 2 year old thats says mine all mine.lol.hope that dont offend you.just threw in a pic some local finds not all.

What the hell kind of a reply was that?

And why the finds photos?

Gimme a break.

::)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
texastee2007 said:
I had a Spot when I was a kid.......

Best damn deer dog in all of Santa Clara County...people were always trying to buy George and Spot from my dad...They were terrior mutts and could litterly chase a deer down. We used them in the Sierras, back in those days it was OK to use dogs to run the Canyons. Yep, I shared Spot on more then one occation, but would never have parted with her even for money.

;D

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a lot of detectin in your area.

Let me know where you're planning on going and I'll let you know if I've been there before you. ::)

Most places I hunt are pretty big on a scale that I wouldn't care if someone went there or not.

Plus...I'm pretty darn good with my machine and just have that attitude I will find stuff because no one else is as good as me... :tongue3:

Seriously tho....I'm getting old and slow...I can't possibly hunt half the places I've uncovered by research and if someone around me needs a new place...I'd share. And I love going to those places people tell me they hunted out and find a bunch more stuff. :thumbsup:

Al

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Question! Years ago I found a very productive spot that was giving up gold, seated, barber,
coins. I was on cloud 9. I told a friend about it he told a friend next thing I know every M.D. and their
dogs was hunting it. I say hunt it good then share. Or tell everyone let them hunt it out for you
your call.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I will take or tell friends that I hunt with about newer sites. This way they can find plenty of clad coins, which usually make them happy. As for older sites, they require more time and research to get a chance to hunt them,
so I generally hunt them solo, at least first, until I can determine what, if anything valuable is there. I just can't
justify spending months on a potentially valuable site, then just tell anyone where it is. I not greedy, just cautious.
rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread