12" is $100 better than a 9.5" ???

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
12" is $100 better than a 9.5" ???

Maybe in the movie industry.....but what about MD'ing?

I'm looking at the MXT 300 compared to the MXT.
It appears that they are IDENTICAL save for the coil size.

Sell me on why I'd want a 12" coil over the 9.5" coil. What makes it worth the $100 hike in price?

Thanks!

-

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: 12" is $100 better than a 9.5" ???

Just speaking in general: The larger the coil, the deeper you can go. But there is a "point of diminishing returns", when it comes to coin-sized objects. That point is usually around 9" to 10"-ish inches, depending on the specific machine. Once you get larger than that, it's only larger objects you'll get deeper, not coin-sized targets. And then there even becomes a point (the hullahoop sized loops?) where you can't even pickup coin-sized objects. By extending out that logic, you can see how some tiny objects (earing studs, little charms, etc..) might be harder to get when a person moves to the very big coils. But once again, that is determinate on the coil, brand, machine, etc.... I've seen how the WOT (15" for the Exp) still seems to get small sub-coin sized targets. But it's fishier and you have to go slower, etc...

And there is inherent drawbacks in larger coils: Fishier pinpointing, poorer target separation, more prone to masking, etc... Of course, if you get a coil too small, (like some brands have 4" and 5" coils) and then you loose depth, but you gain target separation, better averaging (d/t it's "seeing" less soil and less targets per swing/scope). And you can usually run the smaller coils with a bit more sensitivity & bit higher gain, d/t you're "seeing" less minerals in the scope of view.

So as you can see, there's a lot of tradeoffs. If you have a fairly clean area (like the beach where targets are spread out, and you want more ground coverage, larger coils can help. Just keep in mind the inherent drawbacks.

In the case of the 15" Wot, (to use that as an illistration), it does not pick up coin sized targets any deeper on the Exp, IMHO. It just increases the coverage area (with the inherent drawbacks). So I usually stick with the stock 10.5". But I've seen guys do deeper with the Sov/Wot combo though. My experience with Whites (the Eagle SLII in this case) was the same: When I tried their humongous coil (I forget the inches) I found that I did not increase depth on coin-sized targets, and seemed to have to lower the depth, sounds and tones didn't come in as good etc.. Now doubt better if I was searching for soda can and toaster sized objects, but not an improvement for coins. Your MXT, seeing as how 12" isn't a lot bigger than the 9.5" is going to be a closer call. Maybe someone has specific experience on that combo, and/or maybe you're just going to have to try it. You can always put it on ebay if you don't like it, and maybe break even :)

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.

my standard coil is the 8".it has the best balance of coverage and target separation.sometimes I use my stock
9.5" for open areas with less trash.I more often use my 6" for near foundations and sidewalk strips.

if I had the choice(I did not when my purchase was made) I would get the 12",but if I was not going to
get my standard size coil (sooner or later) for what ever reason then the 9.5"(it being more utilitarian).

if the 12" was a DD (non concentric) it would be a plus for highly mineralised ground and max coverage(I do
not know which it is).

know your hunting situation and budget.

I hope this helps........HH

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

most run the DD coils on the mxt, unless it came with a DD, i would get the stock one

Ga Rebel

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, M6

If your really leaning toward the MXT 300 with the 12” coil, a couple things on the positive side is the 12” will work great in an open area like the beach or a field with little or no trash and also the 300 has a real nice power black paint job. If you do go with the 300 you might consider two more coils in the future. The Eclipse DD 10 X 6” for your general hunting with some trash and also the Eclipse 6 X 4” for areas with a lot of trash. When I bought my 300, Whites had a special and for $100 you could get a choice of coils, a pin pointer, and headphones. I picked the 10” DD coil for my coil, since it was their latest. Later, I bought the 10 X 6” coil. It stays on the detector 90% of the time. When I want more depth I use the 10”DD. My next coil purchase and hope last will be the 6 X 4” for real trashy areas. But everyone has different ideas. Just read them all, then decide. When you purchase another coil, make sure you purchase a lower rod and mounting hardware for the coil. It just makes changing so much easier.

Bud

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

Tom_in_CA said:
Just speaking in general: The larger the coil, the deeper you can go. But there is a "point of diminishing returns", when it comes to coin-sized objects. That point is usually around 9" to 10"-ish inches, depending on the specific machine. Once you get larger than that, it's only larger objects you'll get deeper, not coin-sized targets.

OK.
So, lets say I get the MXT with the standard 9" coil. That sounds like a good all-around coil. And if I wanted to compliment it with a second deeper looking head, which would be better for the MXT - the Eclipse Deepscan DD 1400 or the Super 12 Search Coil? Or does the stock 9.5" coil already reach deep enough to not justify the expense of one of these additional coils?

Orrrrrr is the lesser expensive Eclipse DD 6x10" just as good as those bigger brothers?

Do these 'deep coils' really look that much deeper?

-

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I had an MXT I had both the Super 12 and the 6x10. The 6x10 stayed on for probably 99% of the time. I just did not care for the Super 12 especially since most all my hunting is in mostly shrub grass areas. The times I used the Super 12, I didn't feel it was any better than the 6x10. Why mess with a good thing...The 6x10 rocks on the MXT.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's my understanding that its not until you get a coil bigger than 12" that you don't gain on coin sized objects only bigger?

I have the 4x6 DD Shooter, the 6x10 DD Eclipse, the stock 9.5 and the Super 12. The 6x10 DD is my standard use coil. I use the 4x6 is trashy areas and the Super 12 when I need extra depth in less trashy areas. The only coil I don't really have a use for is the stock 9.5

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It goes deeper and you can cover more ground in a day as compared to the 9.5.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have both coils for my DFX and I seem to find myself using the 9.5 90% of the time. The if warranted i will go back with the 12.

Brian

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts

Gary in Pennsylvania said:
Tom_in_CA said:
Just speaking in general: The larger the coil, the deeper you can go. But there is a "point of diminishing returns", when it comes to coin-sized objects. That point is usually around 9" to 10"-ish inches, depending on the specific machine. Once you get larger than that, it's only larger objects you'll get deeper, not coin-sized targets.

OK.
So, lets say I get the MXT with the standard 9" coil. That sounds like a good all-around coil. And if I wanted to compliment it with a second deeper looking head, which would be better for the MXT - the Eclipse Deepscan DD 1400 or the Super 12 Search Coil? Or does the stock 9.5" coil already reach deep enough to not justify the expense of one of these additional coils?

Orrrrrr is the lesser expensive Eclipse DD 6x10" just as good as those bigger brothers?

Do these 'deep coils' really look that much deeper?

-
i always thought that the stock 9" was a DD, good for mineralized ground, and the Super 12 is a concentric coil. So two different kinds of coils. I'm not all that impressed with the stock 9". It doesn't have good depth. The Super 12 coil, on the other hand, does have good depth. I would say the Super 12 is worth the extra $100. I once posted just such a question on a forum, and the responses were overwhelming in favor of the Super 12. If I was going to use my Whites again, I would get a Super 12 coil for sure.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Super 12 can be very frustrating or near impossible to use in trashy areas, the smaller coils separate better. However, it is very good for ground coverage and a more depth in clean areas. That said, if you buy the 300 you get the 12" coil at a better price than buying one to add to the 9.5 or other coil choices, later. If I were buying new and felt I could use the 12" some of the time, I'd buy the 300, then add a 6X10 and later the 5.3 and or the 4X6. I hunt several trashy parks that are very difficult to hunt with anything larger than the 5.3, let alone the 9.5 or the 12". My two bits.
Bill

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

Yeah - I'll be getting the MXT 300......I want that depth option in my not-so-trashy hunt spots.

And I've already been talking with KellyCo......I'm purchasing an EXcelerator 10" "DD" Search Coil as well for a bit more precision where needed.

-

roundhat

Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030

I had the super 12 on a dfx also... i found less with it than the stock 9.5.... i say save the $100 bucks. Use it on something else. :wink:

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

Well.....it's a done deal.

I've decided on the plain MXT......I'll just be getting the 10" DD EXcelerator coil from KellyCO.

I can't WAIT!!!!

And I've already chosen what will be my first site to hunt.

I'll be set by the end of April.

WOO HOO!

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

plehbah said:
Here is another way to hit 5000 posts if you are in a hurry:

"Nice finds!"

Nope.

No more than your equally non value-added reply.

I called KellyCO during lunch today and spoke with one of the female salespeople (Raul wasn't in yet).

Post count means nothing to me.

-

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I use the 14''excelerator coil and just love it. Got a dime at ten inches with it.

I also have the 1400 DD loop I could part with.

Good luck on making the right choice.

:icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread