What satellite companies offer best imagery

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I like Acme Mapper 2.0 especially since I can do Map, Satellite, Hybrid, Terrain, Topo, DOQ (USGS), Nexrad, and Mapnik. It also allows me to find GPS coordinates by moving the map over the crosshair in the center or enter GPS coordinates below.

http://mapper.acme.com/

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
ocalasix said:
added it to my favorites...seems pretty cool..gregg

Ya me too. Seems good. Last time I checked Google Earth their sat photos really sucked for my area. Us poor Canadians, always treated as world second class citizens! Our time will come, our time to rise up!

Then we'll go back to making maple syrup and kicking everyones arse at hockey.

Thanks for that link. I'm hunting 2 old mill sites along the Grand River near my house. haven't found them yet, maybe this will help.

outback2000

Jan 11, 2009
The hammer
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola,,Ace250,, Bounty hunter 3300,Vibra probe 560
Google earth works good in my area ,,but i would also like to be able scan the Grande river works good for most towns in Ontario was surprised it gave a good view Fort Erie

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
CanadianTrout said:
ocalasix said:
added it to my favorites...seems pretty cool..gregg

Ya me too. Seems good. Last time I checked Google Earth their sat photos really sucked for my area. Us poor Canadians, always treated as world second class citizens! Our time will come, our time to rise up!

Then we'll go back to making maple syrup and kicking everyones arse at hockey.

Thanks for that link. I'm hunting 2 old mill sites along the Grand River near my house. haven't found them yet, maybe this will help.

google earth doesn't do a very good job in my aera either,flashearth.com works pretty good though http://www.flashearth.com

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You can also enter a town in the white box and hit find. But that isn't quite as accurate. That part works better with GPS coordinates. If I don't have the GPS, I move the map to the area I want using the map or hybrid sect. Some areas may not zoom in as far as I'd like so I get as close as possible then switch to topo or DOQ to finish zooming. Topo can also find some old schools, quarry's, etc. DOQ can also be used to find old roads or wagon trails that aren't normally visible.

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
I found a good one(powered by google earth).I still don't know how to post a web link :icon_scratch:,so type in----mindat.org/maps---- there's a alot of different maps to look at. there's a place to type in a location and search. hope this helps. Idig

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stoney56 said:
I like Acme Mapper 2.0 especially since I can do Map, Satellite, Hybrid, Terrain, Topo, DOQ (USGS), Nexrad, and Mapnik. It also allows me to find GPS coordinates by moving the map over the crosshair in the center or enter GPS coordinates below.

http://mapper.acme.com/

Thanks, Stoney. That really helped me. I've been searching for a group of cellarholes. This really helped me coordinate where they might be. :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Get the IR maps off the DOQ system if you're looking for old buildings or roads through open fields.

Very informative. Not sure what the cost is, haven't bought one in a while but they're worth it if you need to know where to start and can't eyeball the terrain so well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread