Anyone ever hunt the water under an old but popular bridge???

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
In other words…..If a particular bridge, or bridge location (may have been wooden first, eh?) is pretty old and right next to a popular location (like a historical park or campsite, old hotel)…..have you or would you hunt it?

Granted…. if the water is deep or fast moving, there are common-sense safety issues to acknowledge! But if the water is shallow and flows lazily….I betcha countless of ‘wish makers’, kids, lovers, etc. have tossed plenty of coins down in the water.

I would imagine that the #1 issue would be “Pull-Tab Hell”!!!! Not to mention the possibility of broken bottle shards.

But I’d still like to hear – anyone ever try this?

-

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
our club hunted under an old bridge that was covered at one time and a swimming hole. Trash and more trash was found.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah i tried under a bridge once also. I quit after about 10 minutes because the trash was so bad. And i actually knew an engagement ring was thrown off the bridge.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
A four or five man team did this in reno with a dredge in
the seventies and found five gallon bucket fulls of goodies.
Locals told them that is where the divorced people pitched
their rings. They argued about the split so they put the entire
lot up for auction so that they could split the cash. Starting
bids were $50,000 but I don't remember how it panned out.
It was shown as a cover photo and story in Treasure magazine.
good luck, siegfried schlagrule

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gary...the Kinzua Viaduct was a killer for coins. Thousands and thousands on top of the ground where they could detect. Lots of areas they didnt detect because of marshy grounds and high weeds.

A guy told me how sore his back was from picking up so many in just a few hours. Could be just the place to detect now with the ground still frozen... :thumbsup:

Hmmmm...I just got an idea. ;D

Al

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the particular river you're intending to hunt beside, is a boom to bust type river (swelling in the winters, then going back low again each summer), then your odds of doing good for coins drops tremendously.

Here in CA where I'm at, we are in a "chapparel" type environment. Riversides become a swampy quicksand marsh during the winter rain season, and then recede each summer revealing new beaches. All the sand can get washed away during heavy winter rains, then new sand deposited with the incoming silt. It's a total waste of time to try detecting.

But I hear in some mid-western states, the water level is much more constant year round. It has to do with the water table depth in the ground or whatever. Like their lakes for instance, never vary more than a foot or so in depth. That would mean the beaches stay fairly constant. Unlike in boom/bust climates, where you merely wait for the lake to dry down way low, during a few years of low rain, and walk out on what was previously swim areas :)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Tom_in_CA said:
If the particular river you're intending to hunt beside, is a boom to bust type river (swelling in the winters, then going back low again each summer), then your odds of doing good for coins drops tremendously.

Here in CA where I'm at, we are in a "chapparel" type environment. Riversides become a swampy quicksand marsh during the winter rain season, and then recede each summer revealing new beaches. All the sand can get washed away during heavy winter rains, then new sand deposited with the incoming silt. It's a total waste of time to try detecting.

But I hear in some mid-western states, the water level is much more constant year round. It has to do with the water table depth in the ground or whatever. Like their lakes for instance, never vary more than a foot or so in depth. That would mean the beaches stay fairly constant. Unlike in boom/bust climates, where you merely wait for the lake to dry down way low, during a few years of low rain, and walk out on what was previously swim areas :)

Actually Tom, we get spring floods. The river here, the Fox is about 75 feet wider than mid-summer levels in many spots and where I wade shin deep is now neck deep and fast, cold and icy too! But it's still not flood stage. That comes in April.

But if you're looking for late summer fun, August and September are the times to hit these rivers. When the parks dry out and you can't dig them anyway because you'd jsut kill the grass, hit the shallows at any one of the big rivers hereabouts because these were the crossings used for decades before bridges came into being.

First timers need to be tethered to a boat or something or someone so when you hit those holes you have a quick way out.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
ive hunted under a RR bridge, way to much iron laying around, from about 150 yards above to 300 below, couldnt believe all the trash

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From dreams to nightmares in a flash. :thumbsup:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I've been investigating below a bridge when a fresh bottle came sailing over the side from a passing car.

They missed me!

;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread