Detector(s) used
ace 250

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I agree, big plug means more opp to find possible multi-coin hole. Patches better too. But I also use a small knife to cut slits in the ground where lawn care and appearances are priority 1.

Pinpoint twice, dig once. The faster you dig, the quicker you patch and move on.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where you are. If you're doing that in parks, then you will get everyone banned. Yards? You will probably get a "No" the next time you pay a visit. In fields, I just scoop with the shovel without cutting sides. But in pastures I like to cut three or four sides in the plug. Reason is that I try to orient the plug back into the hole smoothly so that it looks better and when the farmers feed their cows they won't accuse me of one of their calfs breaking its ankle. I would invest in a smaller digging tool for the maintained areas, and invest your time in learning smaller pinpointing.

-Buckles 8)

OP
OP
mapo

mapo

Dec 27, 2008
Tacoma, Wa.
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I appreciate your feedback lowbatts and buckles. Let me clarify myself here. My trenching shovel cuts cleanly and I spread a towel beside my dig. When target is removed, loose soil is placed back in the hole and I step down the plug. It is hard to tell I was even there. My plugs are maybe 5" square. Thanks and HH-Mark

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my new detectors tends to pinpoint a little too far forward, so with it I cut a pie shaped plug, wide side to the back. Usually pop the item out when I pull the plug up. And the plug usually fits right back into the hole. But with the other detectors I dig a square plug 90% of the time. I try to leave the ground with an almost invisible repair. I had a person challenge me in a park once, accusing me of digging up the park. He couldn't show me where I had dug and even pointed out a bunch of squirrel holes! Monty

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mapo said:
I appreciate your feedback lowbatts and buckles. Let me clarify myself here. My trenching shovel cuts cleanly and I spread a towel beside my dig. When target is removed, loose soil is placed back in the hole and I step down the plug. It is hard to tell I was even there. My plugs are maybe 5" square. Thanks and HH-Mark

Thank you for your reply, Mark. Being neat is only half the battle. It is the fact that digging with a shovel will draw more attention than making a small hole. It could also give a homeowner or a park worker a panic, regardless of how neat you are. Keep the towel and your folding over of the plug method. Both work really well for neatness. But my advice is still to do your best to lose the shovel. What machine do you use? Do you know about or practice "detuning" to pinpoint? By detuning the detector you can make the target Very small.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mapo,
What is your concern with scratching an '83 penny? I hate to see anything get scratched but what makes '83 so special to you?
Mac

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I won't use anything bigger than a narrow blade trowel in yards or parks. Don't want to draw attention with a big digger.

OP
OP
mapo

mapo

Dec 27, 2008
Tacoma, Wa.
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Thanks all. I see your point buckle. I use an ace 250 currently. I was being facetious Mac. My majority of coins have been clad so far.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mapo said:
Thanks all. I see your point buckle. I use an ace 250 currently. I was being facetious Mac. My majority of coins have been clad so far.

The Ace 250 can be detuned very easily during pinpointing to pinpoint a coin to an area the size of an inch square if needed. If you don't know how to "detune" then PM me and I'll help you.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mapo,
I just thought I missed something in my Red Book. I think all the sliver has been sucked out of central North Carolina years ago.
Mac

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
With the exception of gold coins, I figure that most if not all other buried coins will be in poor condition, so I don't worry about damaging a coin. I just treat them as bullion. I never find any silver or gold coins anyways, so it doesn't matter to me. And even a clad proof, highly unlikely for a buried coin, would not be worth that much.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Massbaycolonist said:
With the exception of gold coins, I figure that most if not all other buried coins will be in poor condition, so I don't worry about damaging a coin. I just treat them as bullion. I never find any silver or gold coins anyways, so it doesn't matter to me. And even a clad proof, highly unlikely for a buried coin, would not be worth that much.

I treat Every target I dig with care--because the moment I don't, is the moment I will destroy a find of a lifetime. Hell, I wouldn't want to chop a gold ring in half thinking it was a nickel or a piece of foil either! Oh, and if you don't believe that a dug, COPPER coin can be worth big bucks, you might want to read a little more in this section on the forum. Hogge has a nice post I think you ought to read...

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread