CASHFORGOLD - SOMETHING FISHY HERE

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hi Big61Al,

Check out this link, and then make sure to read through the original story. In a nutshell, Cash4Gold offered a guy $60 for his gold. When he told them to send it back, they immediately offered him $178.

After the story was posted, it quickly achieved a #1 Google page rank for the search term "cash4gold". That's when they started their damage control.

Let the seller beware.
http://cockeyed.com/citizen/goldkit/reputation.shtml

MP

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
you know I would see those commercials on t.v. and thought what a sham it was. I just saw one yesterday where an older woman said she got 1000 dollars for all her gold. I was thinking...."Lady, gold is 1000 dollars an ounce, you got ripped off".

Now I know my feelings were right about that place.

Thanks for the info.

:)

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Theres an entire website set up to warn people about cash4gold.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/cash4gold-c117648.html

Thats a link to an interesting article and interview with a former employee who pretty much sums up what mountainplayer says , they offer you a low price and then a better one if you dont agree.Its policy to offer a ridiculous low price first , apparantly a lot of people do not pursue it or simply dont know any better.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
It all comes down to the age old Latin phrase ,"Caveat Emptor"= "Let the buyer beware"

When I first saw the add on TV, I said to myself, "Who would actually send their gold through the mail like that?"

Even if they were on the up and up, Can you imagine how tempting it would be for some postal workers(I said some) to scoff up those little packages of "FREE" gold.

No way, not good!

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Its not just the fact that they rip off people enmasse but its also the perfect fence for any burgler or mugger , just send your stolen goods here and they wire the money on line to an account of your choosing , perfectly anonymous.

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
We get a lot of these type of commercials here in Massachusetts. Apparently there are quite a few of these kinds of companies, and they all have the same strategy: To buy gold at deeply discounted prices.
I follow the price of gold. I make and maintain data bases on the price of precious metals. I have been doing this for years. Also, I have a Gold Spot Price gizmo on the home page of my computer, so I always have a good idea what the price of spot gold is.

One company that advertises on TV for cash for gold always states: The price of gold is at an all time high!" Have you seen that one? You would think a normal person might ask themselves, "How can the price of gold always be at an all time high?" Obviously it can't be, unless the price of gold is always going straight up. Whenever I see this commercial, with its claim that the price of gold is at an all time high, I am amazed that the government allows these companies to make such fraudulent claims.

I think all of these companies are trying to rip off the naive and the elderly. I think these "send in your unwanted gold now" types of companies should be shut down, and made illegal asap.

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
I couldnt agree more , they are targetting the elderly who may have accumulated gold over the years , also the nieve who know no better and throw thieves in the mix and it stinks to high heaven.
If gold is at an all time high how come everybody on the complaints board is saying they got $20 for a big bag of it ?

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer
I think they are a scam. How can they give you even close to the going rate for gold?

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
They dont , how it works is no matter what you send in the first offer will be extremely low.They are preying on the fact the elderly and nieve wont protest and keep the almost worthless cheque.
The people who do protest get a 2nd offer , still far below what the gold is worth but much more than the first offer , some people might think they beat the system and accept that cheque..it still is way below actual value.

Now think about this , in the commercial they show gold being melted or cleaned or whatever , a hand reaches in to the pot and produces a handfull of diamonds.
Now where exactly in all this does the cash for precious stones come in ? It doesnt , its just cream on the cake for them.You get a pittance for the gold and we just wont mention the stones is how it works.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
The offer that Cash4Gold makes is shady at best. They figure if your gold is out of site...out of mind.

Keep your gold and run to the refiner that is advertized by word of mouth. Midwest refiners back east. AAA Refiners in Portland,Or. And a few others are good companies for the little guy to deal with.

Stay away from those info-merchials. Fly by night spam artist.

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
To be honest if you have to sell gold or silver ive found ebay to have consistent prices.You can do well with scrap gold and silver there and probably more than spot if you just sell it for what it is , a piece of jewelry or coin or whatever.

Dont you just love the way they call your gold "scrap" , its not.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
NewtoPa said:
To be honest if you have to sell gold or silver ive found ebay to have consistent prices.You can do well with scrap gold and silver there and probably more than spot if you just sell it for what it is , a piece of jewelry or coin or whatever.

Dont you just love the way they call your gold "scrap" , its not.
Dido.

Some people are fooled by infomercials and think there is a quick buck there. And there is for the adverizer.

Ebay is a little better for your value of jewelry or coin value precious metals then refineries. Refineries are better then the scam artist at Cash4Gold

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Seen a take on TV this am about gold buying mail drops. Test said 14k with $430 value. Three main companies would not offer much. Couple would double offer if first offer turned down. Cash for Gold was really bad. Would pay only $60. Has 300 BBB complaints. Pawn shop offered $430. One company $4 gold said it was only 10-12k. All are a rip off.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just or fun I sent away for one of these kits. All there was in it was a return evelope and a check list of what you are sending. I tose it in the trash. I started getting email from them wanting to know it I receive my kit. This went on for about a month. I finally email them back and told them if they could not tell me what they are paying for 10k, 14k and 18k per penny weight that they was rip off artists. Guess what I have not heard back from them again. So they must be rip off artists....Matt

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think it's a scam. It's just like the local pawn shops. If you need the money, they'll give it to you in exchange for your goods. No one said the price was fair. They tell you gold is at an all time high but they do not tell you they are going to pay that price.

There's a sucker born every day...and those that will take advantage of them.

They do the same thing at the expo shows and advertise they're buying gold..."today Only" at such and such a place. And of course, people go and sell their gold way below market price.

Do you buy coffee in a vending machine? a dollar? Do you know what that cup of coffee is really worth? A spoonful of coffee grounds and water. This is the biggest profit maker for vendors because it only costs them pennies to make it. Are you getting ripped off or do you gladly buy that cup of morning joe? If you're willing to spend that buck for it, then it's worth it. Same goes for cashforgold. If you're willing to accept what they offer you for your precious metals, then it was worth it to you.

This is the downside to capitalism...take advantage of the uninformed. Cashforgold is a gimmick, not a scam....and I bet very profitable.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread