Best emergency radio?

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Hi ya'all. I go to remote wilderness areas in Northern New England. I can't get any service for my cell phone in these remote areas. So I'm thinking I had better get some kind of emergency radio, just in case I run into trouble, and need to contact civilization.
Is an emergency radio the best way to go with this? If so, what kind of radio should I look for? I'm on foot a lot in the woods, so I think a hand held unit would be advisable. All ideas and recommendations are welcome. Happy TH'ing this year. Kevin

Rd2nowr

Jan 2, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, IDX Pro, Sunray XL-1 Probe
I don't know a radio per say, but I have seen a small emergency GPS unit that sends out a homing beacon when needed. I pack a small emergency kit when I'm going alone. Tim

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why dont ya take a huntin buddy I am avaible on certin days and some saturdays email me or message me
thanks from Bill

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rd2nowr said:
I don't know a radio per say, but I have seen a small emergency GPS unit that sends out a homing beacon when needed. I pack a small emergency kit when I'm going alone. Tim

I just looked at some cell phones which also send GPS data if you can dial a 911 in your area. Police can trace location of most newer cellphones.

But I'd like to know if a more reliable device is better. Two-way radio, emergency transmitter or beacon or something. If anyone can point us in the right direction it would be appreciated. I do carry a Garmin GPS so I could relay coordinates to someone but how would I call them? Thanks and HH.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
you may want to check out an amateur radio forum.ham license on 2 meters,maybe they have a contactable
local repeater.or may have info on non license emergency frequencies.or vhf marine radios?
on the cheap a c.b. walkie talkie hooked up to a 1/4 wave dipole strung between two tree's,but not reliable(depends who or if anyone is listening).

just a couple of thoughts.

Goldust

Dec 18, 2007
Check out a device called the SPOT. It's seen on the "Survivorman" show. It's supposed to be a GPS message and homing/tracking device.

Good luck

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Any of the above plus a can of sterno to get the thing lighted if it don't work when you need it too. A burning radio produces some plastic drippings that will get wet and/or frozen wood burning also.

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Lowbatts said:
Any of the above plus a can of sterno to get the thing lighted if it don't work when you need it too. A burning radio produces some plastic drippings that will get wet and/or frozen wood burning also.

Huh? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Goldust said:
Check out a device called the SPOT. It's seen on the "Survivorman" show. It's supposed to be a GPS message and homing/tracking device.

Good luck

Thanks, Goldust. I have also heard about a device that boaters can use to contact the coast guard/homeland security in the case of an emergency. I'm going to have to do some research.

jayallday14

Jul 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excal 1000
Massbaycolonist said:
Goldust said:

Good luck

Thanks, Goldust. I have also heard about a device that boaters can use to contact the coast guard/homeland security in the case of an emergency. I'm going to have to do some research.
If you are out camping or even MD'ng a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) is the way to go. These are monitored by various agencies all over the US and abroad. If out boating, an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) is a must have. I would say that if those NFL players had one on their boat, they might be alive today. I am an Air Force SAR Controller and have been dealing with these things for years. They will save you.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Massbaycolonist said:
Lowbatts said:

Huh? :icon_scratch:
Saved me and wifey's life once, burning that radio we brought along.

S

stefen

Just saw several radio's advertized in National Geographic magazine, one of which had CB capabilities.

All were self contained and depended on an internal power generated with a hand pump lever...

I have a camp lantern with the same power source.

Sorry, I don't have the mag with me or I'd list the manufacturer.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
We have some areas here in Oregon that are pretty isolated.
Mountain Ranges, Desert areas, etc. Maybe up to 20 miles or more from nearest road.
And that road is an old logging/jeep trail.
On the other hand my Bro. lives in Orange County Calif. where there are lots of folks.
His cell phone doesn't work lots of times. Mine doesn't either many places.
Citizen Band Radio works when you are not far from other folks and they happen to be listening on your channel.
I got my Ham license many years ago when we had to know Morse Code.
Now that is not a requirement. You can talk all over the world for free. Also make phone calls where no phone service exists.
Look into that. Also the EPIRB idea is good. Folks sailing the oceans use them.
A satalite phone would be great, but they are expensive.
Climbers of Mt. Hood are required to rent emergency locators for a few dollars.
Getting caught in a blizzard or a crevass can kill you.

Grey

S

stefen

Eton Corporation has numerous radio combinations, all of which are self-powered (do not require batteries) ...www.etoncorp.com

Some have short-wave and 2-way CB capabilities...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A VHF is line-of-sight and with the antenna at head level you're looking at six miles or so maximum range.

A satellite phone (not to be confused with a cell phone) would work, but set you back $3,000 or so.

The emergency beacon mentioned above may be the best option.

Filing a travel plan with someone who can call the authorities if you don't turn up when you should can also be a good idea.

Sometimes the best help is advance preperation. Don't expect someone to risk their own lives to bail you out. :wink:

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Massbaycolonist said:
Hi ya'all. I go to remote wilderness areas in Northern New England. I can't get any service for my cell phone in these remote areas. So I'm thinking I had better get some kind of emergency radio, just in case I run into trouble, and need to contact civilization.
Is an emergency radio the best way to go with this? If so, what kind of radio should I look for? I'm on foot a lot in the woods, so I think a hand held unit would be advisable. All ideas and recommendations are welcome. Happy TH'ing this year. Kevin
Thank you, everybody! Great stuff here, and important, too. I'll let you know how I dealt with this issue when the glaciers recede up there. :wink: Thanks again. Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread