Here are pics of some "Must Hunt" sites.....

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here are pics of some "Must Hunt" sites.....

I see a lot of similar places when I go out "prospecting" and I locate them on a map and start my search for the owner to get permission. I am amazed at how many of these old home places are in some kind of a trust. When I try to find out who administers the trust I nearly always run into a brick wall. It will say something like, Jones Trust Inc, Box 32254, Los Angeles, California. I can never find a phone number. They always or nearly always have a local person as a caretaker, but they are not listed anywhere. If you trespass they will find you though! Monty

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hey, the dishes are done it's a beautiful day; and your post and pics make me wanna run outside. But first, I've gotta throw my 2 cents [preferably Indianhead] in.

About the 'I don't know yet what this building once was' -- do you think maybe it was once a sanitarium or some sort of long term hospital? Your part of the country had the beautiful Kirkbrides [I think I spelled that right--it's the architecture style. Spell check is suggesting 'iridescent' as an option. Gosh, those structures have been abandoned for years -- I hope they aren't glowing!!!]. But maybe this was some sort of smaller, more local facility. Just a guess. ???

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils

Yet another.....

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

I am told that the home foundation is still there and 'obvious'

-

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

This is neat.

About 2 miles from my house on a local but rural State Route.

There are plenty of homes dotted sporatically along this route and many have these 'stone steps'.....but all typically lead to a lawn as they just aren't used anymore - real driveways up to the house have replaced this old method of home access. Also......waaaay back when, this State Route was dirt (as late as 1939).

Anyways.....I just noticed this today, go figure.

IMG_2702.jpg

So I walked up the steps (quite a BIG reach. Road construction likely ate away a step or two) to look at the lot.

Here's the looking-down view:
IMG_2699.jpg

You can vaguely make out remnants of the foundation......not the SHAPE or perimiter, but the building stone. It looks like it may have been bulldozed. The I can imagine where the house WAS based on two things - 1.) how the architecture/placement of all the other old homes along this stretch sit and, 2.) wicked huge (great diameter!) OLD trees that make a natural 'yard perimeter'. I'll look to hunt this lot and all around the HUGE trees.

IMG_2698.jpg

Duly added to the Must Hunt List!

-

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used

Here's the above site NOW (black box is location of steps):

OldStepsLotNOW.jpg

And here it is in 1939 with the house there. (black box is steps):

OldStepsLot1939.jpg

Now....see in the current Google Earth pic how there seems to be
a circle of 'flourishment' towards the rear of the property?
Whats that? Outhouse location?

-

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Gary, the green roofed shack was a dwelling. Reason I know, they didn't put
windows in barns and such for the animals to look out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions