OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
I got let me see ahhh three more places to MD if permission granted.
Well i did smile guys who do you think I'm Charley Brown " ow grief".

lastleg said:
Gary, I don't think that PITCH will work for CWH. Now if he had a used I'd or TV
to offer the squatters he might get permission. However that's no guarantee the low-
down polecats wouldn't renegg on the poor little guy.
CWH, here's what you do. Tear a ten dollar bill in two and tell the mangy curs you
will give them a half of a ten dollar bill to let you hunt all you want. Then when you
get through give them the other half.
The dad-gummed hillbillies will probably want you to come hunt every day after that.
Got it? Now check your batts and get on down that road.

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
lastleg said:
Gary, I don't think that PITCH will work for CWH.

My bad.
I was talking that pitch in general.

By the way CWH described that particular situation........you're right - not much would help!
That sounded like a place I'd pass on!

-

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
I swear guys if im every going to MD Clendenin i dont think im going to have much luck.
We praticly own Clindenin. great grandfather grew up there, my grandfather grew up there " papa".
My mother grew up there, and now the new generation you guessed it me but im not liveing there now by the way i vist every weekend.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the term "seeing the elephant" is slang that goes all the wa back to the civil war "it means--- going to war and being in actual battle"--many folks during the civil war had never been "off the farm" before so to speak --to them until they actually saw battle it was a grand thing --like going to see the "elephant" at the traveling circus's was -- well "the thrill of it all " was rapidly gone once one had seen the real"elephant" of war -- the blood, death , horror of it all --those that had "saw" the elephant (battle harded vets)--- jeered the gung ho "newbies" that had not yet seen "battle" by saying --you have never seen the "elephant" have you lad?

it means you went to war and saw battle (WW2 military vets might know it) --its a very very old saying --that normally only a very very old person would know.

since your young--- think of this as a "learning" lesson--- now just what did you learn ? --- you learned that you can't just wonder around digging up stuff on other folks lands without "asking" first --your lucky he was just a bit gruff with you --he could have called the cops on you for "tresspassing" -- and he would have been legally within his rights to do so ---- so the lesson learned is ALWAYS ASK FIRST BEFORE GOING ON PRIVATE LAND --- and always think of it as "private land" unless its clearly without a doubt -- open public land --and its not posted no metal detecting signs (and then check to see if you area has "no metal detecting rules" for thier parks / areas under their "control" as some do and there not posted )--and crying but I didn't know in court will not cut it --because if the I didn't not know excuse worked ---every person would get away with their crime --every crook could say "but your honor , I didn't know that robbing a store was against the law---so the judges say --"ignorance of the law is not a valid defense" --guilty --next case please .

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Actually the expression "seeing the elephant" predated the Civil War.
Here's a small clue. Tokens with elephant motif. Saloon tokens from
across the country. Forty-niners, fresh from the farm, getting tokens
good for a drink. Exciting, wild days on their own for the first time . . . .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes it pre dates the civil war in usage but its commonly linked with heavy usage during the civil war -- it was by used a lot by battle harded vets to talk about "hayseed" vollenteers all fired up to go to war -- like it was a "night" on the town (like the drink token bit --you speak off ready to get off the farm and have a drink of the hard stuff for the first time)-- but these "country bumpkins" had no ideal of what the hell they had gotten themselves into.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Maybe someone will provide a link about "seeing the elephant".
Don't be too hard on little CWH, in his case he's learning the ropes
the way us old timers did. But if he finds himself in the hoosegow
with a long prison sentence ahead of him, he can proudly state:
"Indeed, I have seen the elephant."

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
You'd be amazed what a 20 spot will do to a landowners attitude.
I love it. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread