anyone been kicked off of peoples land?

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Anyone been kick off of peoples land metal detecting?

I was yeld at today theres this field my my dads office and today i had the detector in the back of the car and headed over started got a good penny signal dug it got it then i started covering up the hole saw an old guy about 70ish walk over, either hes going to say how you doing find anything which i thought was very unlikely, he came up and i said " hi, is it allright if i metal detect this field?" he said " no, if i see you around your going to ask for it" i golped and said alright he said " go on and dont come back" i said " ok, thankyou sir"had to change my pants after this one.
But i walked off with a penny in my pocket should have asked permisson first.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Maybe you should know who's land you're digging up before you do that again.

You know enough to ask permission right?

Ops, I agree with sniffer... :P

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Only one time.

In 1971 a friend invited me to go metal detectin
with him. He had just one detector. We took it to
an old church where old silver was abundant. He
was getting tha signals and I was digging.

This older black gentleman approached. The man
asked my friend what we were doing.

My friend said " We are looking for old coins. "

The older man said " Everything here is for God's
children."

My friend pointed at me and said " he's one of
God's children."

The kind old man said, " Yes, we are all God's
children, but I'm afrade you'll have to look for
coins somewhere els."

That taught me a lesson. I never have been run
off sense.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Re: The blossoming of the young criminal mind

see nick everyones not perfect. :P
thanks for the storys. :D

بلَباه said:
I get kicked off of sites from time to time, even after permission has been granted.

I think that some people feel the need to interject and exert some kind of weird personal power trip when they see somebody detecting.

I recently had a preacher of all people verbally but forcefully demand that I leave a spot I was detecting at, but that I had permission for, and he had no authority over.

Regardless, he was not going to stop until I left or the police were called. I was livid, but I gave in.

That really has nothing to do with your story, in which you did not have permission.

Happy hunting!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only had one close call. Asked permission at a church in Colorado. Asked permission from a lady in the church office. She told me it'd be OK. Later on the minister walked out and asked me what I tought I was doing! I explained the lady said it was OK. He calmed down a little bit & after talking to him for awhile he gave me the history of the church. Ended up being a pretty nice guy. After he told me he needed to get back to the office, I asked him if I needed to stop in & pay tithing? He laughed and told me "Only if you find some gold coins!" Worked out pretty good. Ended up seeing him on the out of the parking lot. He gave me an invite to come back anytime.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I ALWAYS ask for permission. I don't like anyone raising their voice to me and it wouldn't go so well if that was to happen. Just play it safe so you can have a leg to stand on if someone were to approach you. HH John

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
I WAS GIVEN PERMITION TO MD. I FOUND SEVERAL IDEMS INCLUDING A CIVL WAR GRAPE SHOT. THE OWNER DECIDED TO RENIG AND ASKED ME TO LEAVE. THE REASON WAS SHE FORGOT THAT THERE CHILDREN HAD A MD AND THEY WOULD WANT TO DETECT.. THATS OK. I USED MY CLEAN SWEEP COIL. NOTHING LEFT TO DETECT ;D
P.S. SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST BUTT HEADS ;D

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I got kicked off some property that wasn't marked. guy came up to me on a 4 wheeler with a gun strapped to the front. after he rudely kicked me off, I figured he was probably growin sumpin he shouldn't ought to be growing. be careful out there, people can be kinda tough!

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
I approached an elderly lady several years ago and asked her if she knew the history of her property. She replied that she had just recently bought the land, and asked me if I could tell her anything about it. I told her that years ago, where her side yard is now, one of the oldest homes in town once stood. It burned down years ago. After talking for awhile, i asked her if it would be okay if I used a metal detector where the old house had once stood. Without hesitation, she replied "yes you may".

So there I was, out there in the yard, and getting signals left and right. SILVER! Then I hear a high pitched squealing noise through my headphones. Turning around, I see the little old lady standing there, hopping up and down, and screaming "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?".....

Puzzled, I calmly replied..."Maam, I'm metal detecting, looking for old coins like you said i could do"....

To which she replied...not calmly...but screaming..."I DIDN"T KNOW YOU WERE GOING TO DIG HOLES IN MY YARD!"

I said "Maam, as you can see, I have filled all my holes...you can't even tell where I've dug except for this one hole I was digging when you came out here."

Then she says..."DON"T YOU SASS ME, YOU LITTLE WHIPPERSNAPPER...NOW GET OFF MY PROPERTY BEFORE I CALL THE POLICE!"

I left.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
I got kicked off some property that wasn't marked. guy came up to me on a 4 wheeler with a gun strapped to the front. after he rudely kicked me off, I figured he was probably growin sumpin he shouldn't ought to be growing. be careful out there, people can be kinda tough!

Did you call the cops and let them know what your gut was telling you? Might save somebody else from a more difficult confrontation. Especially if it wasn't fenced or posted.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
boogeyman said:
mamabear said:

Did you call the cops and let them know what your gut was telling you? Might save somebody else from a more difficult confrontation. Especially if it wasn't fenced or posted.
nope didn't call cops. he is my "neighbor" & he would know it was me that called. I'd rather just leave it be.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EddieR said:
I approached an elderly lady several years ago and asked her if she knew the history of her property. She replied that she had just recently bought the land, and asked me if I could tell her anything about it. I told her that years ago, where her side yard is now, one of the oldest homes in town once stood. It burned down years ago. After talking for awhile, i asked her if it would be okay if I used a metal detector where the old house had once stood. Without hesitation, she replied "yes you may".

So there I was, out there in the yard, and getting signals left and right. SILVER! Then I hear a high pitched squealing noise through my headphones. Turning around, I see the little old lady standing there, hopping up and down, and screaming "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?".....

Puzzled, I calmly replied..."Maam, I'm metal detecting, looking for old coins like you said i could do"....

To which she replied...not calmly...but screaming..."I DIDN"T KNOW YOU WERE GOING TO DIG HOLES IN MY YARD!"

I said "Maam, as you can see, I have filled all my holes...you can't even tell where I've dug except for this one hole I was digging when you came out here."

Then she says..."DON"T YOU SASS ME, YOU LITTLE WHIPPERSNAPPER...NOW GET OFF MY PROPERTY BEFORE I CALL THE POLICE!"

I left.

And that, my friend, is why I Always make sure that they understand Exactly what I will be doing and how I will be doing it.

I have a few horror stories, of the "reneging property owner" variety. But I'll save 'em for later.

To the original poster in this thread--GET PERMISSION. ALWAYS! That old man probably owns 600 acres of Fine, Historical land loaded with 1700s sites on it. In other words, you not only lost out on the field you were in without permission, but you might have lost out in more ways than one!

-Buckles

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
Go at night. Problem solved.

Just kidding. We've all been told no more than yes...at least I have. I shrug it off and go find the next spot. There is an old 1800's house near my house that sits vacant in a huge field. The owner owns a small gas station so I stopped in and introduced myself and asked for permission. He gave me a somewhat rude "NO". I now buy all my fuel from the gas station across the street from his. Had he given me permission I would have started buying my fuel from him. Oh well.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i live in st joseph missouri where there are a lot of historical house just a block north of the down town area and i mean historical . 6 or 7 officers of the confederate army and some missouri gorillas and some famous athletes i put out 30 flyers explaining my self and my hobbie and have only gotten back 4 calls and all have been very rude would like to give them the flaming pooh bag on the proch but i am not 14 anymore but there are a few empty lots not posted or fenced and a house that is vacant for 20 plus years the owners live in florida gonna do the empty lots trying to find out from the house owners if i can md the vacany house.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
olepossum said:
i live in st joseph missouri where there are a lot of historical house just a block north of the down town area and i mean historical . 6 or 7 officers of the confederate army and some missouri gorillas and some famous athletes i put out 30 flyers explaining my self and my hobbie and have only gotten back 4 calls and all have been very rude would like to give them the flaming pooh bag on the proch but i am not 14 anymore but there are a few empty lots not posted or fenced and a house that is vacant for 20 plus years the owners live in florida gonna do the empty lots trying to find out from the house owners if i can md the vacany house.

You need to meet people In Person to get permission. Otherwise you will not get that many "Yes's." First off, it puts them on the spot--so they have to make a decision. Second, it gives them a chance to get a look at you, and you them.

There are other reasons that I believe that flyers don't cut it.

They are just like spam--one more thing to throw away.

If you have an aversion to meeting people, you'd better get over it if you wanna get a Yes. I figure I've knocked on over 5,000 doors in my 17 years of diggin--sometimes I've driven an hour to knock on a door.

-Buckles

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I would advise you not to metal detect again unless you ask for permission. Parks are ok because they are public but I would only hunt in parks. We don't want people who do not ask for permission to ruin the hobby.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you think a site is worth detecting, then it should be worth your time to find out who owns it, and ask them for permission in person JMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread