for e-trac. Sunray probe or detector pro pistol probe? which would be best?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a white's pine pointer never used a probe the only thing diferent is, you can't loes a probe like a pin poiter.I think your detector's batteries don't last as long useing a probe. :thumbsup:

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
I use a garrett pro pointer just got it this spring and it's wonderfull good depth wonder how I did without it.

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every detector I have has Sunray probe on it .
Always there and you can't lose it .
Also carry a Garretts Pro Pointer just in case .
These are about the best I have found, Just my
opinion if it means anything.

OP
OP
roundhat

roundhat

Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
i like the pistol idea but i think i will stick with the sunray. thanks to you guys who have replied to me. :wink:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote for Sunray. No muss with batteries and it's always there. Monty

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, loved the Sunray! Only problem is, it is on a cable and you have to switch it over each time and remember to switch it back? You get used to it pretty fast! Really don't think it affects the batteries much, if at all? Don't know why you would need a "back up probe" though? Sunrays are known to be very durable and operate off your detectors batteries, so?.....

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the Pistol probe, got it while I was in Canada, it will detect up to 6" but I have not had much of a chance to try it in the field yet.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Operate the Sunray since the Etrac came out and the only problem was with the inside cabling jacket and had to send it in for a repair. Besides that I would say that it out performs the Garrett and the Minelab, or Viba-probe pin pointers. One of the nicest features is that it's just an extension of what the coil is, so nothing changes for tones or discrimination. The one draw back is hunting in - temps where the soils are damp and then it freezes on the probe, a plastic scraper or digger works well to keep it clean enough to put it back into the holder clips.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both probes & love them both, but if I could have a SunRay on all my machines, that's what I would do. It does add some weight to the detector, and if you want to get one for the Etrac, expect to pay a lot for it since they don't make them anymore for that machine. The Pistol Probe is a deep one, and would probably be more popular if it was marketed the way the more well-known brands are. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't seem to get along well with my CTX. I'm wondering if the FBS machines don't like PI pinpointers?

And speaking of the CTX...... I noticed that you have one in your detector profile, roundhat. Just wondered why you're getting an Etrac?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have both probes & love them both, but if I could have a SunRay on all my machines, that's what I would do. It does add some weight to the detector, and if you want to get one for the Etrac, expect to pay a lot for it since they don't make them anymore for that machine. The Pistol Probe is a deep one, and would probably be more popular if it was marketed the way the more well-known brands are. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't seem to get along well with my CTX. I'm wondering if the FBS machines don't like PI pinpointers?

And speaking of the CTX...... I noticed that you have one in your detector profile, roundhat. Just wondered why you're getting an Etrac?

I didn't realize that there was a probe for the CTX, I looked into it before and spoke to Sunray and he said that there wouldn't be any made for this series.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't realize that there was a probe for the CTX, I looked into it before and spoke to Sunray and he said that there wouldn't be any made for this series.

There isn't one, never was, never will be.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There isn't one, never was, never will be.

That's what I thought also Jason. I was just surprised at mrwilburino saying it doesn't seem to get along with his CTX.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason. I didn't think so.
I've casually looked for used, but have found none. They must be cherished.
More questions; Why did SunRay discontinue production, and does SunRay fix em if a problem occurs?
Thanks
Peace ✌

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunray stopped production because he claimed the cost of the components were too expensive, although many of us feel that was a BS excuse. I have heard they will not repair X-1s either.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a shame.
Seems SunRay cornered the market with their inline ETrac probe.
Any chance of SunRay resuming production? A profitable price would surely be paid.
Peace ✌

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Problem is the original post/question was from five yers ago. Sunray discontinued the version for e-tracs. Solves the problem.

Great probes - I have one on my F-75. No additional battery use (maybe less) as you switch from the main coil to a 1" coil for pinpointing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread