The Oldest Metal Detector I have Ever Seen

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Neil, despite Fishers claims to be the "first (or oldest, or whatever) in metal detectors", they weren't the first. And the one you link wasn't the first portable one either. It may have been the first patented, or the first one built by a company that still exists today, etc... But it was not the first. Heck, even in Fisher's own musem they have older metal detectors (yes, even hand-held ones) that date to the 1920s. I'm sure they weren't worth a darn, and who knows ..... and/or were just experimental ones by previous dabblers that didn't bring them to market (patent, etc...) on the larger scale like Fisher did.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Holy smokes that's great info. Fisher like Mr. Ford might not of invented it but they sure did revolutionize their patent. Who would of known that Fisher metal detecting company was that old. It must be the oldest existing metal detecting company in the world. Thanks for the information.

Wolverine.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Mich. Wolverine said:
Holy smokes that's great info. Fisher like Mr. Ford might not of invented it but they sure did revolutionize their patent. Who would of known that Fisher metal detecting company was that old. It must be the oldest existing metal detecting company in the world. Thanks for the information.

Wolverine.

The Fisher F75 Metal Detector is known as the 75th Anniversary Edition Detector.

JR in Hohenwald TN.

Mar 15, 2009
Hey,I've hunted that area for several years. I think I met his wife,she was very old then. She said her husband past away some years before and she'd show us pictures of him also with a probe about 8' long. We'd help her out with heavy chores like cutting the grass and trimming, tore off and replaced a tin roof on her shed to park and hunt. She lived right across from Fort St. Peter.

She moved away or was put in a nursing home but I still have permission from the present owner to park and hunt around there, at least I did,I havent been up there in 2 years but the guy may still live there. He was pretty cool. Found some awesome shells there. Dug out 22 Confederate 3" Read Bolts with 2 other guys in that area out of 1 hole, got the pics somewhere. The exploded confederate ammunition dump isn't far from there. You could dig square bullets from the crates that had exploded. The confederates blew the dump which was about 10 miles north of Vicksburg. Records showed the town could hear it all the back into town. I got some really neat pics of finds from that area somewhere in boxes I havent upacked,I'll have to see if I can find them. Alot of Union fired Dalghrens and 100lb Parrots found around there. The ironclad Cairo was sunk about 3-5 m south, so everytime a gunboat past there and batteries they unload a rain of naval shells on what they considered rebel sympathizers.

A buddy and I went digging around there once. Then another day he went back and did some hunting. He asked me to help identify a huge thick piece of iron he had found and cleaned up. It was about 6" wide and about 14"-15" long and appeared about 4-5" thick. Also like a splinter. Soon as I looked at it I knew what it was. It was a chunk of a tube. It was off one of the 32lb guns the confederates had spiked and blew up. Weighed about 25lbs and you could see the re-inforcement ring cast on it. It was from the very end of the muzzle. Awsome piece. A melted Louisianna buckle was found right next to the old fort site. Last I seen it was neglected and run down, weeded up. The monument to the fort is still there though.

Really coincidental,I was thinking about that place just a few days ago after I snatched a CZ7aPro off eBay. I was thinking about some of the old places I'd hunted in the past and thought it'd be a good test. Man this is weird.

That's heck of a spot. I used the Spectrum XLT up there. Now I'm really getting the fever after seeing that. I feel a trip back down there is coming on soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread