Question for Treasure Seekers?

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
This is a question that strikes a personal note as another one of the members here will know.

There is a local ghost town that means quite allot to the community I live in. Now there have been allot of "treasure seekers" going in and finding artifacts and keeping them, even though we have a museum about this ghost town in the community. At the same time this ghost town is not one simply "lost to time" but is currently undergoing work to stabilize the old buildings, there is a campsite only a stone throws away, excavations by local citizens on behalf of the museum, etc.

Now allot of people are working hard to study this ghost town and the artifacts found certainly help put things into perspective.

So between kids using some of the logs from the old buildings as fire wood and people finding and keeping artifacts without donating them to the local museum things can get pretty hard for those trying to look after this historical site.

What are everyone's views on this?

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Personally I would make sure if I did find anything that it got displayed at the museum. Sad to hear that folks are using buildings for firewood. :'(

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
I think in a situation like that the important artifacts should be turned over to the museum and as a reward a notation made as to who found it and when. thats just my view

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I lived up there I'd Volunteer My Time to Help you's
Out.

a Suggestion. IF Anyone shows up to detect
Don't Be Rude or say No.

Get to know them, Explain & Ask for their Help.
Maybe if they already have some from Past hunts
They will offer to Bring them or at least some Back.

A call for Help in your Local Newspaper may get Results
also if done with Tact.

We are always Open to Helping those who show us Respect.

Good Luck !
Jeff

OP
OP
Drache

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
many people have donated things they find (and those items have names of who donated them) but some items just disappear (one being a pocket watch if my memory serves).

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a security thing.

OP
OP
Drache

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
I like to go down there with my own metal detector once the 4 feet of snow disappears so give the museum a helping hand in trying to get things found. Sadly buying a detector takes lots of money and my bills are more important otherwise I'd be down there every day! I love doing the archeology digs down there!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well....I look at it two ways.

First...what are they finding? Coins,buttons Jewelry? Or are they hauling away architectural parts and furniture? If there are no "No Trespassing" signs or a fence and its public property...then you cant very well kick them off something you dont own.

If on the other hand,you and a committee of like souls posted Historical renovation signs and asked that any significant finds be placed on loan to the museum...you would probally get more back than you expected,offers of help and a bunch of fellow detectorists who would help keep an eye on the place.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Drache, it depends. Is there any rules (or signs, or whatever) that prohibits detecting there? If so, then the technical answer would be that they shouldn't be doing that. But to otherwise say no one should ever detect and keep anything from any ghost town, anywhere, (even places where it's not prohibited), is a slippery slope. Because I mean .... think of it: if everyone said "it's ethically wrong", then heck, we ALL should never detect ANYWHERE, because afterall, it should be put in a museum, left for future generations to dig up and study, etc..... I mean, why stop the logic at the doorsteps of a ghost town? Why not the city park, the beach, etc....? So it's a slippery slope that's not easily answered, once you think through the implications.

OP
OP
Drache

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
Tom_in_CA said:
Drache, it depends. Is there any rules (or signs, or whatever) that prohibits detecting there? If so, then the technical answer would be that they shouldn't be doing that. But to otherwise say no one should ever detect and keep anything from any ghost town, anywhere, (even places where it's not prohibited), is a slippery slope. Because I mean .... think of it: if everyone said "it's ethically wrong", then heck, we ALL should never detect ANYWHERE, because afterall, it should be put in a museum, left for future generations to dig up and study, etc..... I mean, why stop the logic at the doorsteps of a ghost town? Why not the city park, the beach, etc....? So it's a slippery slope that's not easily answered, once you think through the implications.

I can see both sides to the story. The ghost town is on crown land and I think the only signs down there right now are "do not burn grey wood" and "please don't play paintball around the buildings".

Now I'm a treasure seeker wherever I go and love to find something. The thing that seems to make this ghost town different is the simple fact that there are ongoing restorations of the buildings and digs to try and sort things out. Sadly most of the really good stuff (even the jailhouse) was stolen for a place called Barkerville *hiss*

The usual things found are chinese betting "beads", ebony dominoes, small medicine bottles, chinese coins, etc but we don't know what other people are finding.

Likely Guy will eventually post in here I'm sure and clear up a few things which I've probably gotten wrong, he's the smart one in the family :wink:

K

Kentucky Kache

If you or your group own the property, then you can control who detects it. If you don't own it, then you have no more rights than anyone else. At least that's the way it should be.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I would seek out a local club if there is one. Ask for their help. Most clubs have a fun hunt of some sort monthly where they get together to detect a park or property they have gotten permission for. I bet they would be more than willing to help. Take a few pictures with their finds and donate them. I know my club would do it in a heartbeat. A few months of a dozen or more people detecting for a common cause would probably net you some pretty nice artifacts before they disappear.

Likely Guy

Many interesting points raised here and thanks for the discussion. The ghost town Drache is talking about is Quesnel Forks which will be marking its' 150th this year. In the past we have deterred people from digging at the site for the reasons already stated. Since I've joined this site however I've come to realize that the MD'ing community does share a common code of ethics.

I'll have to discuss this with others in the community before it can go ahead but what I'll propose to them is this:

On the first weekend of August we're holding a celebration at Quesnel Forks (food, music, raffles for nuggets, goldpanning competitions, mining displays etc.) We could include a weekend event for the MD'ers and give out prizes for the 'best find', 'most found' etc. where the finds are donated to the museum. If this goes ahead, mark the first August weekend on your calendar.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely Guy said:
Many interesting points raised here and thanks for the discussion. The ghost town Drache is talking about is Quesnel Forks which will be marking its' 150th this year. In the past we have deterred people from digging at the site for the reasons already stated. Since I've joined this site however I've come to realize that the MD'ing community does share a common code of ethics.

I'll have to discuss this with others in the community before it can go ahead but what I'll propose to them is this:

On the first weekend of August we're holding a celebration at Quesnel Forks (food, music, raffles for nuggets, goldpanning competitions, mining displays etc.) We could include a weekend event for the MD'ers and give out prizes for the 'best find', 'most found' etc. where the finds are donated to the museum. If this goes ahead, mark the first August weekend on your calendar.

This idea is the best of all worlds. Holding a festival, having a feast, recovering the metal items for a good cause, and display in the museum, and detectorists get to do what they do best, and love doing.

A wonderful idea.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who owns the ghost town? If it is Citiy owned I'd propose an ordinance that allows metal detecting, but asks for donation of artifacts to the museum. By asking instead of demanding many MDers will comply. Monty

OP
OP
Drache

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
Likely Guy said:

I would certainly vote for having a MD contest (just means now I have to go spend too much money on a MD ;D) so I can "compete". Maybe Likely Guy and I will have to go halfers on an MD!

Here is a few pictures of the museum and Quesnel Forks (these are old pictures so some things have certainly changed):

Personally I don't think there is anyone who knows more about the history of Likely/Quesnel Forks than Likely Guy!

Likely Guy

The ghost town is on public or crown land and the local community, Likely is unincorporated. We're in the process of getting the site heritage designation at the regional district level. (I don't know if you have those down there, or what the American equivalent might be.) From there the next step is provincial and then finally federal designation which would then effectively close it to any detecting.

The MD'ing event, if held, would be one of the last before that happens.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I believe the American equivalent would be to get it designated as a Historic Site. That looks like a great place...would be fun to just wander and look even if you could not detect and definitely would be neat to go see the museum!

K

Kentucky Kache

I believe there are some places that need to be preserved, and if I could BUY those places, then and only then should I treat it as my own. If I can't buy the property, then I should not expect the gov. to step in and take away more rights of the public. Either buy the place, or stop trying to control what everyone else does. PLEASE!

OP
OP
Drache

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
Cache Crazy said:
I believe there are some places that need to be preserved, and if I could BUY those places, then and only then should I treat it as my own. If I can't buy the property, then I should not expect the gov. to step in and take away more rights of the public. Either buy the place, or stop trying to control what everyone else does. PLEASE!

In Canada you can't just go out and BUY ghost towns nor the land they are on, especially considering that the ghost town is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It can only be purchased if the government decides to sell it which won't happen just because someone wants it.

It is a historic site and should be preserved as such.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread