Civil War Weaponry

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
I know many people love to find civil war items but I was wondering how many people actually owned items used by their ancestors in the civil war and passed down through the family.

My father currently owns the 1851 Colt Navy pistol used by a member of our family during the civil war. This pistol has been passed through the family and will continue to be passed through the family.

Jacob Cogdill (or Cogdell as some of his military records state) fought in the war of 1812 (Enlisted Oct 26 1813, discharged June 30 1815, under the command of a Captain B. Reynolds) and during the civil war enlisted in the Gentry County Home Guards as a private at the tender age of 67 on August 29 1861. Enlisted and mustered the same day. Remarks "Date of disbanding of this company or time of service not give on muster rolls. Served 21 days".

August 9 1862 had him enrolled as a Sergeant in the 31st Regiment Enrolled MO. Militia under a General Loan in Albany. Ordered into active service the same day. He was relieved from this duty on November 24 1862.

April 20 1863 he was once again enrolled as a Sergeant with the 31st Regiment Enrolled MO. Militia under a General Hall in Albany. Ordered into active service on July 23 1863. He was relieved from this duty on October 13 of 1863 by a Col. J.F. Williams.

Finally in October 29 of 1863 he was enrolled with the 81st Regiment EMM Co. at the age of 69. He was ordered into active service on the same day. He was finally relieved from duty on December 1st of 1863 for being over age.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of information on my Civil War ancestors, and a photo of my great grandfather in uniform, but no weapons. You are very fortunate.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The fellow in this picture is my great-great grandfather and was in the NY 9th Heavy Artillery. I have a buckle that was his. I remember my father had his canteen in the garage (wool cover was kind of ratty) and someone ripped it off. My older brother has a few more items - a piece of hard tack, some paper cartridges, two minie balls that hit nose on and fused. Really not much to show. Some folks didn't want to remember or have souverniers.

Levi_and_Sarah_photo.jpg

I have a letter from his cousin (who was killed at Cold Harbor) listing every relative he could remember and their addresses. Some kind of preminission, I suppose.

We had a few dugeriotypes (sp?) and tin-plates of Civil War soldiers and some bottom-feeder broke into the house when we were boxing up Mom's stuff after Dad passed away to move her to a local nursing home (between trips) and stole a whole chest of family pictures and letters. I could easily slit that one's throat and look in his eyes as they glazed over.

OP
OP
Drache

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
Ok the serial number for the colt my father has is 162394 and the cylinder has a "US PATENT 2394" (last four digits of the serial number).

Can anyone figure out the build date for me? I know that it was made in New York and one with a serial number of 15,000 higher was made in 1863. Just want to pinpoint the year down.

OP
OP
Drache

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
Well here are the pics, sadly the frame of this revolver has a hairline fracture (seen in one of the pictures). She's in really rough shape sadly. She went across the US in a covered wagon....

Wildrose

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacob was my father's great great grandpa. Do you have more information about the Jacob and his serving in the wars. Also do you still own the pistol?

Wildrose

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please contact me. Jacob was my dad's great great grandpa. My dad is still alive. Do you have any family history or still own the pistol?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions