Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    us
    Mar 2009
    A Place In Heaven
    Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
    1,800
    176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Great Website And Forum

    Thank you folks for a great website and forum. I have been searching for a site like this as I have been researching on buying a new metal detector and have decided on a Minelab E-trac because of the excellent feeback I've seen on this forum.
    I bought a Garrett 100 (which I still have and checked out) about ten years ago and I found all sorts of metal and trash and 1 coin which kind off put me on the back foot ( had nobody to teach me or keep me going) but now I'm ready to go again as I'm getting close to retirement age and this forum has really got me excited even more so again.

    I live on a large parcel of land with lots of history and live in an 1787 home where there was lots of traffic ( supposedly was attacked by the British and was a stagecoach stop in it's eary days), so this is where I'm going to start.
    Also thank you for the heads up on the book by Andy Sabisch which I have already ordered from Andy Sabisch store and all the leads to find a deal on the detector. Thanks again, Charlie

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    11,353
    16 times

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    Wow...with the home you have I am sure you will be off to a good start! That would be an awesome place to detect! I am so glad you are getting back into the hobby and coming to hang out with the rest of us as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  3. #3
    us
    Mar 2009
    A Place In Heaven
    Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
    1,800
    176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Cynangyl
    Wow...with the home you have I am sure you will be off to a good start! That would be an awesome place to detect! I am so glad you are getting back into the hobby and coming to hang out with the rest of us as well!
    Thank you Cynangyl , do you know where I can find a list of all the Terminology used by the users such as nulling and the like so that I can hopefully understand some of the questions and answers? thanks, Charlie

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    11,353
    16 times

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    This post might help http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,126490.0.html

    or

    AIR TEST AND BENCH TEST- A procedure performed by placing the detector on a non-conductive surface and passing various sized metal objects beneath the searchcoil to check the detector’s target response, target ID, depth, the coil’s area of detection, and at what approximate discriminate settings various metal samples are
    rejected or accepted.
    ALL METAL - A separate mode on the detector that allows total acceptance of any type of metal sans any discrimination. This usually works in conjunction with the Ground Balance feature.
    AUTO TUNE - A feature that continuously retunes the detector threshold to the original manually tuned audio level.
    BACK SHOOT - Caused by slightly tipping the outside edge of the coil up at the end of your scan ( detuning the coil ). Often, users mistake this for a defect in the detector or falseing.
    BLACK SAND - Known as magnetite or magnetic iron oxide, and one of the most extremely nonconductive, negative ground minerals. Found mostly in gold bearing areas and sandy beaches.
    CACHE - A secret hoard of money, jewels, gold, valuables, intentionally buried.
    COIL - A circular or variously shaped plastic housing containing the transmit and receive windings ( wire coils ), either single or multiple in a special configuration. Also called head, loop, searchcoil. Emits and receives signals to and from the ground and any metal target.
    CONCENTRIC - A coil using one or more transmit and receive windings having unequal diameters aligned on a common center. Coplanar concentric , if arranged on the same level or plane.
    CONDUCTIVITY - The manner in which a metal target allows eddy currents to generate on its surface.
    DETUNING - method of narrowing the target signal width manually for precise pinpointing by adjusting audio threshold into the null or less sensitive tuning zone. Accomplished by releasing and pressing the pinpoint control one or more times while the coil is over the target.
    DISCRIMINATION - An adjustable control and method by which a detector tells one metal target from another, ignoring or nulling audio responses from a specific conductivity range. This allows positive responses to be heard from metal higher on the conductive scale above the discrimination control setting, and eliminating responses from lower conductive trash.
    DOUBLE-D, 2D, or WIDE SCAN COIL - A searchcoil capable of detecting a target across at least its full diameter. It is a coplanar coil with two “D” shaped windings positioned back to back and overlapping each other.
    FAINT SIGNAL - A small or deep target that barely produces an audio response.
    FALSEING, FALSE SIGNAL or BACK READING - When in the discriminate mode, a signal caused by a rejected target coming within one inch of or contacting the coil bottom. A false signal created by overshoot,
    backshoot, uneven ground, or highly mineralized hot rocks.
    FERROUS - Any iron or iron bearing mineral or target.
    FREQUENCY - The number of alternating current cycles produced by the transmit oscillator per second, measured in KHZ or cycles per second.
    FREQUENCY SHIFT - A feature which eliminates the cross talk between two detectors working side by side operating on identical transmit frequencies.
    GROUND BALANCE - A detector’s ability to ignore the masking and disruptive affects that iron ground minerals have over targets. Similar to fog lights penetrating heavy fog.
    HALO - This is generated over time by the combination of acids and water in the soil leaching minute particles off a coin and into the surrounding soil creating a metallic halo around the coin.
    HOT ROCK - Rock that contains a higher concentration of nonconductive ground minerals than the surrounding ground that the detector is balanced to. This causes the detector to signal as if over a good target in motion and non-motion modes and a null in threshold in the all metal, ground balanced mode. ALSO IRONSTONE - A rock
    heavily laced with iron.
    MATRIX - The total volume of ground penetrated by the electromagnetic field transmitted by the coil. METAL DETECTORIST - A person who operates a metal detector. Other names are Treasure Hunter (TH’er), or “beeper swinger“. Unfortunately, those in academic and government positions often to detectorists as looters, pirates, robbers etc.
    MINERALIZATION - Conductive or nonconductive components found in the soil.
    MODE - The operating settings you select on your detector, such as all metal.
    NARROW OR TIGHT RESPONSE - A target that produces a signal so short that pinpointing is almost unnecessary.
    NON-FERROUS - Metals not made of iron, such as gold, silver, copper, etc.
    NOTCH DISCRIMINATION - A circuitry that allows a “window’ of good targets to be accepted within the rejection range of unwanted targets, such as rejecting pulltabs, foil, nails while accepting gold rings and nickels of the same conductivity. Can also be set to accept a specific target while rejecting all others or vice versa.
    NULL - In metal detector tuning, the zone just below audible threshold. Also, the momentary silent response of threshold audio as the searchcoil scans over a discriminated or rejected target.
    PINPOINTING - Centering the target under the coil by interpreting the exact spot of loudest audio response from both directions.
    PI or PULSE INDUCTION - A detector with a transmitter circuit that pulses an electrical current into the ground just before it shuts down. Metals hold the eddy currents because they are better conductors while the currents quickly dissipate from poor conductors such as ground minerals or wet salt sand. The receiver circuit then comes on and picks up the signal from metal while the eddy currents in the ground minerals have quickly disappeared. This is done at speeds of between 400 and 1000 pps.
    SCAN or SWEEP - The procedure of passing the searchcoil back and forth over the ground.
    SCRUBBING - Pressing the searchcoil tight against the ground as you scan to maintain even audio threshold and gain more depth.
    SENSITIVITY - The ability of a detector to sense changes in conductivity within the signal pattern or making the coil more sensitive to the targets you are seeking. The more sensitivity you can use the greater depth you will achieve.
    TARGET - Any object that generates an audio or visual response from your detector.
    TARGET MASKING - Basically when junk or concentrations of junk hide or suppress a response from a good or small target from the searchcoil’s signal.
    TEN-TURN - A control used with manual ground balance that can be turned ten times to cover the full electrical range of the function and balance the coil to the ground. In some ways like the fine tuner on an FM radio. TEST GARDEN - A plot of ground in which one buries various targets at different depths to check and learn about the performance of a detector in regards to depth, discrimination, target responses, etc.
    Caution: Due to an effect known as “ Metallurgical Phenomenon” (say what ??!!), newly buried coins are difficult to detect, so if you bury them deep don’t plan on locating them for some time until they have had time to react with the acids in the soil and form a halo.
    TH’er or TH’ing - Word contractions for treasure hunter and treasure hunting.
    THRESHOLD - Probably the most misunderstood term in metal detecting. It is a continuous tone that establishes the lowest sound level for deep targets in the discrimination mode, establishes the audio level
    for pinpointing, and establishes a reference point for tuning the machine to ground balance it .
    TONE ID - Is the ability of the detector to generate different audio tones for each target’s conductivity range such as, low tone for junk and nickels and high tone for all other coins.
    VISUAL ID - Sometimes called VID or TID that gives a visual identification of a target and its depth, or size in the case of imaging detectors.
    WIDE RESPONSE - This is caused by a target that generates an audio signal over an area wider than the searchcoil, as opposed to TIGHT RESPONSE which produces a signal much smaller than the diameter of the coil.
    ZERO DISCRIMINATION - This is a control that allows the acceptance of all metals at zero setting.


  5. #5
    us
    Mar 2009
    A Place In Heaven
    Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
    1,800
    176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Great Website And Forum




    Quote Originally Posted by Cynangyl
    This post might help http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,126490.0.html

    or

    AIR TEST AND BENCH TEST- A procedure performed by placing the detector on a non-conductive surface and passing various sized metal objects beneath the searchcoil to check the detector’s target response, target ID, depth, the coil’s area of detection, and at what approximate discriminate settings various metal samples are
    rejected or accepted.
    ALL METAL - A separate mode on the detector that allows total acceptance of any type of metal sans any discrimination. This usually works in conjunction with the Ground Balance feature.
    AUTO TUNE - A feature that continuously retunes the detector threshold to the original manually tuned audio level.
    BACK SHOOT - Caused by slightly tipping the outside edge of the coil up at the end of your scan ( detuning the coil ). Often, users mistake this for a defect in the detector or falseing.
    BLACK SAND - Known as magnetite or magnetic iron oxide, and one of the most extremely nonconductive, negative ground minerals. Found mostly in gold bearing areas and sandy beaches.
    CACHE - A secret hoard of money, jewels, gold, valuables, intentionally buried.
    COIL - A circular or variously shaped plastic housing containing the transmit and receive windings ( wire coils ), either single or multiple in a special configuration. Also called head, loop, searchcoil. Emits and receives signals to and from the ground and any metal target.
    CONCENTRIC - A coil using one or more transmit and receive windings having unequal diameters aligned on a common center. Coplanar concentric , if arranged on the same level or plane.
    CONDUCTIVITY - The manner in which a metal target allows eddy currents to generate on its surface.
    DETUNING - method of narrowing the target signal width manually for precise pinpointing by adjusting audio threshold into the null or less sensitive tuning zone. Accomplished by releasing and pressing the pinpoint control one or more times while the coil is over the target.
    DISCRIMINATION - An adjustable control and method by which a detector tells one metal target from another, ignoring or nulling audio responses from a specific conductivity range. This allows positive responses to be heard from metal higher on the conductive scale above the discrimination control setting, and eliminating responses from lower conductive trash.
    DOUBLE-D, 2D, or WIDE SCAN COIL - A searchcoil capable of detecting a target across at least its full diameter. It is a coplanar coil with two “D” shaped windings positioned back to back and overlapping each other.
    FAINT SIGNAL - A small or deep target that barely produces an audio response.
    FALSEING, FALSE SIGNAL or BACK READING - When in the discriminate mode, a signal caused by a rejected target coming within one inch of or contacting the coil bottom. A false signal created by overshoot,
    backshoot, uneven ground, or highly mineralized hot rocks.
    FERROUS - Any iron or iron bearing mineral or target.
    FREQUENCY - The number of alternating current cycles produced by the transmit oscillator per second, measured in KHZ or cycles per second.
    FREQUENCY SHIFT - A feature which eliminates the cross talk between two detectors working side by side operating on identical transmit frequencies.
    GROUND BALANCE - A detector’s ability to ignore the masking and disruptive affects that iron ground minerals have over targets. Similar to fog lights penetrating heavy fog.
    HALO - This is generated over time by the combination of acids and water in the soil leaching minute particles off a coin and into the surrounding soil creating a metallic halo around the coin.
    HOT ROCK - Rock that contains a higher concentration of nonconductive ground minerals than the surrounding ground that the detector is balanced to. This causes the detector to signal as if over a good target in motion and non-motion modes and a null in threshold in the all metal, ground balanced mode. ALSO IRONSTONE - A rock
    heavily laced with iron.
    MATRIX - The total volume of ground penetrated by the electromagnetic field transmitted by the coil. METAL DETECTORIST - A person who operates a metal detector. Other names are Treasure Hunter (TH’er), or “beeper swinger“. Unfortunately, those in academic and government positions often to detectorists as looters, pirates, robbers etc.
    MINERALIZATION - Conductive or nonconductive components found in the soil.
    MODE - The operating settings you select on your detector, such as all metal.
    NARROW OR TIGHT RESPONSE - A target that produces a signal so short that pinpointing is almost unnecessary.
    NON-FERROUS - Metals not made of iron, such as gold, silver, copper, etc.
    NOTCH DISCRIMINATION - A circuitry that allows a “window’ of good targets to be accepted within the rejection range of unwanted targets, such as rejecting pulltabs, foil, nails while accepting gold rings and nickels of the same conductivity. Can also be set to accept a specific target while rejecting all others or vice versa.
    NULL - In metal detector tuning, the zone just below audible threshold. Also, the momentary silent response of threshold audio as the searchcoil scans over a discriminated or rejected target.
    PINPOINTING - Centering the target under the coil by interpreting the exact spot of loudest audio response from both directions.
    PI or PULSE INDUCTION - A detector with a transmitter circuit that pulses an electrical current into the ground just before it shuts down. Metals hold the eddy currents because they are better conductors while the currents quickly dissipate from poor conductors such as ground minerals or wet salt sand. The receiver circuit then comes on and picks up the signal from metal while the eddy currents in the ground minerals have quickly disappeared. This is done at speeds of between 400 and 1000 pps.
    SCAN or SWEEP - The procedure of passing the searchcoil back and forth over the ground.
    SCRUBBING - Pressing the searchcoil tight against the ground as you scan to maintain even audio threshold and gain more depth.
    SENSITIVITY - The ability of a detector to sense changes in conductivity within the signal pattern or making the coil more sensitive to the targets you are seeking. The more sensitivity you can use the greater depth you will achieve.
    TARGET - Any object that generates an audio or visual response from your detector.
    TARGET MASKING - Basically when junk or concentrations of junk hide or suppress a response from a good or small target from the searchcoil’s signal.
    TEN-TURN - A control used with manual ground balance that can be turned ten times to cover the full electrical range of the function and balance the coil to the ground. In some ways like the fine tuner on an FM radio. TEST GARDEN - A plot of ground in which one buries various targets at different depths to check and learn about the performance of a detector in regards to depth, discrimination, target responses, etc.
    Caution: Due to an effect known as “ Metallurgical Phenomenon” (say what ??!!), newly buried coins are difficult to detect, so if you bury them deep don’t plan on locating them for some time until they have had time to react with the acids in the soil and form a halo.
    TH’er or TH’ing - Word contractions for treasure hunter and treasure hunting.
    THRESHOLD - Probably the most misunderstood term in metal detecting. It is a continuous tone that establishes the lowest sound level for deep targets in the discrimination mode, establishes the audio level
    for pinpointing, and establishes a reference point for tuning the machine to ground balance it .
    TONE ID - Is the ability of the detector to generate different audio tones for each target’s conductivity range such as, low tone for junk and nickels and high tone for all other coins.
    VISUAL ID - Sometimes called VID or TID that gives a visual identification of a target and its depth, or size in the case of imaging detectors.
    WIDE RESPONSE - This is caused by a target that generates an audio signal over an area wider than the searchcoil, as opposed to TIGHT RESPONSE which produces a signal much smaller than the diameter of the coil.
    ZERO DISCRIMINATION - This is a control that allows the acceptance of all metals at zero setting.

    Thanks Cynangyl that will work out great, I have been looking for it on the web site just not there yet.
    All The Best, Charlie


  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    11,353
    16 times

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    That search option for charter members comes in real handy! Glad I could help!

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

    Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    46,684
    5765 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    Welcome to TreasureNet
    Marchas45 , And Thank you For the Comments.

    ENJOY !
    Jeff

  8. #8
    us
    Jan 2008
    belding, Michigan
    whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
    659

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    sounds like you live in just the right place for detecting without leaving the yard for awhile.

  9. #9
    us
    Mar 2009
    A Place In Heaven
    Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
    1,800
    176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by camperlee
    sounds like you live in just the right place for detecting without leaving the yard for awhile.
    Only problem is, I have lots of trees to deal with, thanks, Charlie

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2008
    Berkshire County Massachusetts
    White's M6
    172

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    Welcome to the party! Sounds like you have an ideal place to start. I'm sure you'll find some interesting stuff! Please post your finds. Good luck!! bg

  11. #11
    us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    6,579
    38 times

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    Have fun and welcome!

  12. #12
    us
    Don't Drag Your Feet!

    May 2008
    Montgomery, IL
    Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
    1,591
    1 times

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Marchas45
    Quote Originally Posted by camperlee
    sounds like you live in just the right place for detecting without leaving the yard for awhile.
    Only problem is, I have lots of trees to deal with, thanks, Charlie
    Lot's of trees are good could be a good thing. A lot of times the areas under trees keep the finds shallow. Can you post a picture of what your yard looks like?

    Definitely research some of the old plat maps and try to find out as much about your area as possible. Ask neighbors about history of your specific property if they can help, like where original buildings were, outhouses, wells, etc.. Old photos would be a good tool too.

    Welcome to TNET! You're going to love your E-Trac ;-)

  13. #13
    us
    Mar 2009
    A Place In Heaven
    Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
    1,800
    176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchas45
    Quote Originally Posted by camperlee
    sounds like you live in just the right place for detecting without leaving the yard for awhile.
    Only problem is, I have lots of trees to deal with, thanks, Charlie
    Lot's of trees are good could be a good thing. A lot of times the areas under trees keep the finds shallow. Can you post a picture of what your yard looks like?

    Definitely research some of the old plat maps and try to find out as much about your area as possible. Ask neighbors about history of your specific property if they can help, like where original buildings were, outhouses, wells, etc.. Old photos would be a good tool too.

    Welcome to TNET! You're going to love your E-Trac ;-)
    Thanks Brett, you are one of the ones that pushed me towars the E-Trac and yes I know where all the dumps are at and also some old foundations. I live on 45 acres and if you see by my post there is a lot of history around the place.
    All The Best, Charlie

  14. #14
    us
    Jan 2009
    San Antonio,Texas
    Minelab Explorer SE
    243
    4 times

    Re: Great Website And Forum

    Welcome aboard! Boy did you come to the right forum. this is an awesome place with awesome people who are always willing to help.
    For GOD so loved the WORLD that he gave his only begotten son,that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

 

 

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3