where would someone hide their valuables, money etc in a place like this?

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know about the wood, when I walked into the barn, I was amzed at all the old oak there, that would make beautiful mantles in people homes, not to mention all the people who use the oak for paneling trim etc....in country style homes. If it were mine, it would be getting sold!

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Hope you don't mind me keeping popping up here but it's still snowing up here and i'm more than bored. Your pictures are great and are stimulating alot of great comments and ideas from all. Goodyguy sees value in most everything that is overlooked by others...signs of a great treasurist and survivor. I noticed another feature in the picture of the pump, that it is surrounded by a clump of shrubs that if they are Prickly Ash they will stick the heck out of you. The good thing is that the bark and berries are quite valuable as medicinal herb. Look it up, maybe you can add wildcrafter to your resume'.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope I don't mind, post all you want, the more the merrier!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd check next to any wooden support post out in that old barn. It would be protected and easy to find. Just an idea? Monty

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Directly off both back corners of the house. Off corners of the barn,visible from house backdoor and windows. Pace exact distance from visible corners of barn to corners of house. Center of back porch to visible corners of barn. Detect carefully at these points AND at exactly half the paced distance.

You get the picture. These are EXACT spots the farmer could find in the dark.....in a tornado, just by lining up two points and pacing. In 'the day' people were notoriously afraid of banks, with good reason. Most did not live in proximity of banks anyway. They were also highly aware of fire hazards of those tinderbox houses. It makes sense that buried cash would be planted so access was easy but well hidden and safe from the elements. I don.t subscribe to the notion that a homestead cache would be super-deep unless it was meant to be left for a long time, or thought to be left as in robbery loot.

Also, check all four corners of that pump perimiter. It has already been said but do your best to find the clothes line area. This is definitely a 'scrub-board and hand wring' home. There was a lot of COLD water used. Cold water shrinks fingers. I have found ten rings under old clothes lines. We have an old house (1925) that had a clothes line way back when. My wife found two rings, one gold w/diamond the other silver w/opal.......in our freaking back yard.

I just re-looked (I think I just invented a word) at your pump picture. There is a large void under that concrete. If you can keep from getting snake-bit, check it carefully; the ground inside and the walls that are hidden under the overhang. Something could be hanging from those walls.

P

pippinwhitepaws

you posted you checked the fireplace...for loose bricks... did you check the stone under the fire box? i have found stash holes under the firebox...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and if you see any furniture, chest of drawers, desk, pie safes, etc, check them very carefully by hand. Look under around and through each drawer and back and bottom of cabinet too. Also take any pictures off the wall and check behind the picture. could be cash, important papers, maps, etc. your detector wouldn't pick up on any of those things.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, those are all good suggestions

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the house is empty, no furniture except for a homeade kitchen table nailed to the wall, I looked underneath it already

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that building by the house?
I see what looks to be a chimney coming out of the roof.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy said:
well it looks like a place where they stored jarred foods. It has a dirt/brick floor, and the room is empty. I took my detector in there and did not get anything either. I did not notice the chimney though?? not sure, will check again when I go back, it rained today.......might get back on friday depending on weather

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
Goodyguy said:
well it looks like a place where they stored jarred foods. It has a dirt/brick floor, and the room is empty. I took my detector in there and did not get anything either. I did not notice the chimney though?? not sure, will check again when I go back, it rained today.......might get back on friday depending on weather
I see it pretty clearly in the video you made. Good video too. :thumbsup:

Did you find where the outhouse was? You would be surprised what gets tossed and accidentally dropped in. Gotta take a probe (to see if you feel any objects like bottles and such. go easy though) and a tarp (to throw the dirt onto) and a good shovel and a lotta diggin'. I know guys that make good money that way.

You may be overlooking the only good treasure there, If you don't dig the privy. A must for all old homestead treasure hunting.
http://www.privydigger.com/
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,16.0.html

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have looked and just do not see any depressions where the outhouse might have been, I do not have a probe either, I have always wanted to dig up a privy. Looks like an exciting thing to do

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Some old outhouse hoels were covered by as large piece of plate iron or tin, if you hit one, you'll know it. Found a couple like this.
From the sounds of it this home has been in the same family for multiple generations, probably not so much any caches to look for as much as incidental drops. Have you been able to identify where the clothes were washed and hung out yet?

Any herb or vegetable garden? Might be a long lost ring in there.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All very good suggestions. . . a lot of useful information :thumbsup:

On a side note, you mentioned you found the IH quite a way from the house's location. . . it may have
originally been lost in the barn and "swept" out with all the manure which was then spread in the field.

You have a nice site there!
watercolor

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There had to be an outhouse somewhere :icon_scratch:
Have you found the garbage dump yet?
You have to dig under it as well. Could be some goodies in there.
One mans trash is another mans...... :o
:coffee2:

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went back today, found another wheat 1920D, a play dime......I thought I had a silver! a big spoon, suspender clip, buckle, couple glass buttons

I have detected the field 4 different directions now, I don't think there is any more non ferrous signals left.

and here are some more pics of around the propert, barn, etc.....enjoy.

Attachments

• S6301922.JPG
    S6301922.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 210
  • S6301923.JPG
    S6301923.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 193
  • S6301910.JPG
    S6301910.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 219
  • S6301911.JPG
    S6301911.JPG