where would someone hide their valuables, money etc in a place like this?

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt this property, and where would people hide money at in a place like this? I took my detector inside and ran it around the floors and walls etc...any ideas where someone might have hid something and forgot about it, or maybe passed away and never told anyone where it was hid? no foundation, house is sitting right on the dirt. some of the floor boards are rotted and or missing, I put my small coil down there everywhere boards were missing but did not get any hits.

any ideas where I might check..........just in case?

Attachments

• S6301889.JPG
    S6301889.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 887
  • S6301891.JPG
    S6301891.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 849
  • S6301894.JPG
    S6301894.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 842
  • S6301895.JPG
    S6301895.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 874
  • S6301896.JPG
    S6301896.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 776

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check around the bases of trees, fence posts - and under the floor boards of the house.

Also, definitely in the outbuildings - and any brick or concrete work (see if one is loose).

Also, there could be some great old newspapers in the walls.

B

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so far I found 3 wheaties in the field directly in front of the house, I was JUST sure they'd be indians but was not to be, there were early wheats though from the teens. Hope to pull some indians from this place. This place is iron infested BIG time too. I dug some large iron out today but wow, it is over whelming how much is here. I am using the smallest coil I have for my xterra 70, and going snail slow

mc223

Greenie
Jan 15, 2009
Riverton Ks.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
M-6
Maybe around those trees. Is there evidence of an outhouse? Howbout the attic or in an old flu cleanout. Perhaps along a path to the out house or to a connecting road. Or could be anywhere around the house or other buildings.
Neet looking place, could be some goodies there.

K

Kentucky Kache

Goes4ever said:
I am using the smallest coil I have for my xterra 70...

...Could be the reason you're not finding Indians.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Crazy said:
Goes4ever said:
I am using the smallest coil I have for my xterra 70...

...Could be the reason you're not finding Indians.
so far I am hunting the field directly in front of the house, there is only 10 feet of grass then it is field, coins in the field are never more than 2-3" deep because it is plowed every year. Besides the small coil on the exterra is pretty powerful and can punch pretty deep. There is NO choice of a larger coil with this much iron. You need something small to work in between the iron, it is in EVERY SINGLE swing

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Under the inside window trim pieces ( mouldings), Check top of any doors for holes bored down in from the top, many gold coins have been found this way. Is there a rumor that these people had money, if not then you won't find it.........NGE

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no rumor, I am not even sure who origannly lved here, the farmer bought the land to farm it, and just never tore anything down, just farms around it

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add this to what has already been posted.
If you can find a well. Look for loose bricks all the way down to arms length.
Also look for loose bricks around the fireplace.
Inside corners of dirt floors all buildings.
look for depressions in the ground around and behind buildings and detect them.
If you like old bottles you could dig the privy and see what turns up.
Probably wont find a cache without the large coil.
Treasure hunting for caches takes a lot of digging trash, Just part of the deal.

Good luck

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
be sure to check under the hot tub :tard:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to think which window would be the bedroom. Then go inside and look out the window as if you was in bed. This was a way for the farmer to keep a eye on his hiding place. If he could see it when he was in bed he could see if someone was trying to steal it. AS no one would be looking for it in the day time.....Matt

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I'm jealous, looks like a great place to play even without an MD.

I'd be very surpirised to think you got no signals under the floor boards, did you have iron notched out? Open up the discrimination and have it inside the place. Ask the farmer if you can remove the floor entirely. Rats burrowing underneath the place would have taken things into their dens, mostly cloth bits, some with buttons attached and a few corn cobs. Every now and then a coin may been pushed or fallen into that pathway as well. If farmer gives you okay to remove the floor, dig out and check it carefully a full two feet deep.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
I'm jealous, looks like a great place to play even without an MD.

I'd be very surpirised to think you got no signals under the floor boards, did you have iron notched out? Open up the discrimination and have it inside the place. Ask the farmer if you can remove the floor entirely. Rats burrowing underneath the place would have taken things into their dens, mostly cloth bits, some with buttons attached and a few corn cobs. Every now and then a coin may been pushed or fallen into that pathway as well. If farmer gives you okay to remove the floor, dig out and check it carefully a full two feet deep.
well I did get iron signals, just no good signals. there is trash everywhere...lol

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
That is a neat old homestead to hunt for sure. It's fun to just sit back and imagine what life was like during it's occupation time. I see children playing under the large tree; a farm lifestyle with cattle, h orses and feeding, milking in the barn. No indoor plumbing or electricity in early years. Try to think what it was like during the time the coins you found were being lost. Remember the the first 30 years of the 1900's were turbulent years. WWI,Influensa epidemic,depression,banks crashed. All these events caused people to hide or bury valuables. Where? Old timers have told me to always look where it could be added to or retrieved without being viewed by anyone. The house, cellar, outhouse, barn and sometimes the well were logical sites. Just digging up items at sites like this is fun as it lets you peer into a lifestyle of long ago. Have a ball, Goes4ever and let us see more finds.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went back today and I was all over, dug tons of trash.........did finally get a real nice 1879 indian, that made my day :thumbsup:

Attachments

• S6301898.JPG
    S6301898.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 551
  • S6301906.JPG
    S6301906.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 531

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad about the trash but that's just the way it is.
Nice coin I bet there's more too.
I hope you find a cache of silver and gold.
Never have found anything good at an old home site without digging a lot of trash.
It's amazing how much metal those old home sites have scattered all over the place.

Also check between clothes line poles if you can find where they were.

If there is a creek nearby check around it too. Check around the mail box if there was one.
Don't forget around the front and back door 10' perimeter.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trezurhunter said:
Looks like a super place to hunt G4E. where there is copper there should be silver. :)

The Trezurhunter.
not always, I have hunted a LOT of old homesteads dug lots of wheats and indians, but they don't all have silver!

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Here is something to ask yourself, is this the original spot where this house sat at? It looks to me at sometime the house was jacked up. Whether to get the house off the ground to stop the beams from rotting or it was moved there. The bricks that the house are sitting on look newer than the house. There are lots of old farms where I live at and that house looks way to small to be the main house for that size of farm. Just trying to have you look at the whole picture to try and figure out where things might of been an direct you to the best spots to look for. Good luck and it looks like a great spot. Let us know what else you find. :thumbsup:

Wolverine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread