cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My brother in law and me have never really seen eye to eye, partially b/c I am married to his sister I guess ::) We have gone fishing together b4 and just ended up mad at each other, been deer hunting and the same thing, me with a gun and him to, yea that another story..... But anyways he knows that I am into MDing and he comes over to the house ever so often to bring my nephew over, and recently I got a nice curio cabinet to display my finds in, and I have my 13 CW shells on top of the case, well he asked me last week if he could go hunting with me, and not wanting to be rude, I said OK. ::) So off we went he used my back up machine, and he found a couple of nice cw relics, but then the hair started standing up b/c he thinks he knows it all, so I just let it go over my head. Well today he called and wanted to go again, I told him I didn't know it was suppose to rain, so after about 30 min the wife called him and said come on. Now I'm figuring this time if he makes me mad, I'm just gonna cut him off, Well he gets to the house and says do you know where I can get a MD today???

So I took him to the Garrett dealer and the whites dealer in town, and he ended up buying a whites prizm III in my opinion he cant go wrong with that machine. So off we go once again, we get to the field and we both start detecting, I found 2 buttons, parts of a powder flask, and some melted camp lead. He wasn't hitting anything, and I could tell he was getting discouraged. :-\ I told him that he has to learn his machine, and that he shouldn't expect to just go out and buy a machine and find gold and silver just like that without some experience. So after a day of detecting b4 the rain started AGAIN >:( he didn't find anything, I told Him that he shouldn't skip targets until he is more knowledged with his detector, he saw me doing it and figured he could do it. But needless to say he is hooked, and for the 1st time in 6 years literally the 1st time we didn't bump heads :occasion14:

Can anyone give me some advice I have never had teach anyone how to detect, how can I make it where he isn't discouraged so easy, and where he will listen to me, I have told him all my relics didn't come from one day and I didn't even find much of anything for the 1st year I detected. Help me out guys and gals ???

Cw

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Assuming yoiu want him to do well ..... Take him with you and have him
search about ten feet away. When he gets a signal have him yell and you
will check it with your machine before he digs and advise him on what you
think it is - good or bad. When you get a signal before you dig call him over
and let him hear it for himself on your machine. Tell him whether you think it
is a good or bad signal. Do this for one trip and then after that let him make
his own guesses and only call you in on the iffy signals. That gives him a fair
shot at early success and you don't have to spend too much time with him.
Given his prior history DO NOT take him anywhere you don't want him to
take other people and never take him to your best sites. siegfried schlagrule

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Find a nearby club you don't belong to and encourage him to join!

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Find a nearby club you don't belong to and encourage him to join!

We dont have any clubs aroud here closest one in Raliegh. The best thing we have to a "club" is WeDigDixie and that is me and my guys stuff there are 3 of us. Oh well thanks for the rely anyway :thumbsup:

Cw

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Set him up a test garden...coins, flat buttons, camp lead, etc. Use different colored golf tee's and write down what each tee color is but don't tell him yet what each is. Add some trash to it and let him try and interpret each signal. Then take him out to a good site, not a good site and turn him loose.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have let him use your back up for a while. He would have gotten discouraged and quit doing it . No harm done.
Now money is spent and he doesn't find much he'll say why did you let me buy this and waste my money.
Hope that doesn't happen.
Then again.. It's up to him to learn the machine. Tell him it takes time and that any little find is a good find.
"Patience " and "Persistence " is the key. Discouragement is not..
Good days and bad days will come....

Let him go to parks or a school for a bit ... Finding something is better than finding nothing....

Be patient yourself.......

Offer to go out a lot....

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DP BOB said:
You should have let him use your back up for a while. He would have gotten discouraged and quit doing it . No harm done.
Now money is spent and he doesn't find much he'll say why did you let me buy this and waste my money.
Hope that doesn't happen.
Then again.. It's up to him to learn the machine. Tell him it takes time and that any little find is a good find.
"Patience " and "Persistence " is the key. Discouragement is not..
Good days and bad days will come....

Let him go to parks or a school for a bit ... Finding something is better than finding nothing....

Be patient yourself.......

Offer to go out a lot....

Naw he is hardheaded but I dont think he would do that, I have told him its like fishing you dont always catch something everytime you go out. Im gonna keep takin him with me, and see how it all turns out, all its gonna take is for him to find that one thing, to where his heart stops for a second. Thanks Guys for all the input

Cw

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread