Newspaper Article About THing In New York City

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
The Sunday (March 29, 2009) edition of the (New York) DAILY NEWS carried an article favorable to our hobby [http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...ew_york_beaches_expect_to_see_more_trea.html]. Here's the text of the article which in the actual paper is titled: "MAPPING OUT THE HUNTING GROUNDS - TREASURE ISLAND! With econ in tatters, beachcombers buy metal detectors to pan city for lost gold" [For those of you who may not know, New York City is not one place, the "City" is composed of 5 boroughs: Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island.]

The online version title is: "New York beaches expect to see more treasure hunters"

BY Matthew Lysiak
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, March 29th 2009, 4:00 AM

The big accessory at the beach this summer might not be sunglasses or a bucket and shovel - but a metal detector.

With the economy at low tide and gold near record highs, the city is likely to see a spike in treasure hunting this season, experts told the Daily News.

"Oh, New York City will be looking at one hell of a gold rush this season," said Bob Lundy, president of the Empire State Metal Detector Association.

"Treasure hunters will be combing the beaches looking for valuables like never before. Gold is skyrocketing in value, and with unemployment, people have a lot more idle time."

Ettory Nannetti of Metal Detector Distributors on Flatlands Ave. in Brooklyn has noticed an increase in demand. "Today, there is a lot more interest than one or two years ago," he said. "It's kind of crazy."

The most popular model is White's DFX Metal Detector, which has been a brisk seller despite a $1,200 price tag.

"This detector literally has the ability to predict what is under the ground," he said.

Michael Chaplan said sales of his 2005 book, "The Urban Treasure Hunter" - a guide to finding everything from spare change to the Lindbergh ransom money - are up 50%.

"New York City is very good for treasure hunting because it has all the different levels of American civilization this country has ever seen," he said.

Beaches are prime hunting grounds because people leave behind valuables they stashed under towels, and forget to take off watches before hitting the surf.

"My girlfriend has nice rings on every finger," Lundy said. "I'm wearing my second Rolex."

Parks are also full of buried treasure. Soldiers who fought the Battle of Long Island hid valuables in what is now Prospect Park and many never came back.

"Prospect Park is a great spot for war buffs," Chaplan said. "A friend of mine found dueling pistols, which are quite valuable."

The city Parks Department prohibits the use of metal detectors in parks without a permit - and permit holders have to agree to turn over any historical items or recently lost valuables they find.

"I advise all treasure hunters to keep their finds close to the vest," Chaplan said. "A lot of legal pitfalls can spring up if you talk too much."
------------------------
[Captions accompanying the illustration's numbers.]
Eight X-marks-the-spot locations in the city, according to treasure hunter Michael Chaplan:
1. Hunter Island in the Bronx: Some believe the Lindbergh baby ransom money is buried here. Others have found Indian artifacts along the shoreline. "The Indians made wampum there," Chaplan said.
2. Prospect Park in Brooklyn: Revolutionary War artifacts from the Battle of Lond Island have been found here.
3. Coney Island in Brooklyn: Great for turn-of-the-century coins. "For best results go after a storm when the bottom of the ocean gets turned," Chaplan advises.
4. King Park in Queens: "Recently a friend of mine found a 1938 Superman good luck charm," Chaplan says. "He auctioned it off on eBay for $9,500."
5. Orchard Beach in the Bronx: Bling central. "Orchard Beach is great for finding gold. People who go to that beach are very flashy."
6. Forest Park in Queens: One treasure hunter found a small cannon used by the Hessians, who camped there from 1770-76. "Look wherever you find a patch of green," Chaplan says.
7. The Greenbelt on Staten Island: "Hunters with a little bit of time can find all kinds of interesting Dutch artifacts and other relics," Chaplan says.
8. Old buildings in Manhattan: Probably practical only for homeowners. "I had a friend who once discovered $25,000 in gold notes under his bathtub," says Chaplan.

Attachments

• graf_hunting-grounds.jpg
    graf_hunting-grounds.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 385

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Looks good on top, watch the op eds and throw some positive PR there to reinforce it!
Nice going New York!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The city Parks Department prohibits the use of metal detectors in parks without a permit - and permit holders have to agree to turn over any historical items or recently lost valuables they find."

There's always a catch :-\

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I love it :) The article says:

"permit holders have to agree to turn over any historical items or recently lost valuables they find. "I advise all treasure hunters to keep their finds close to the vest," Chaplan said. "A lot of legal pitfalls can spring up if you talk too much"

Oh gee, you're advertising to the proper authorities that you don't plan on turning over the super rare 1955 wheatie? ::) This is just what we need to alert those guys to just out-right ban it altogether, lest someone take that 1955 wheatie for themselves :P

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
I love it :) The article says:

"permit holders have to agree to turn over any historical items or recently lost valuables they find. "I advise all treasure hunters to keep their finds close to the vest," Chaplan said. "A lot of legal pitfalls can spring up if you talk too much"

Oh gee, you're advertising to the proper authorities that you don't plan on turning over the super rare 1955 wheatie? ::) This is just what we need to alert those guys to just out-right ban it altogether, lest someone take that 1955 wheatie for themselves :P

How true Tom,

Prospect park is the one park in NYC that suddenly has a ban on metal detecting. That ban is being challenged by the local MD club and that kind of press will not help the cause one bit!

Prospect Park NYC Detecting Suddenly Not Allowed
"This park was suddenly closed to metal detecting. When Carter Pennington asked for a reason why from the Park Officials, he never got an answer."

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/32/5/32_5_mm_metal_heads.html

http://www.brooklyndowntownstar.com...t=push&instance=lead_story_left_column&open=&

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I don't know how it is in other public parks around the country but possibly the most frustrating situation here in New York City parks is that while the Parks Department surprisingly allows metal detecting in some parks and they issue free permits, they seemingly and unfairly restrict certain areas in some of the parks for whatever reasons.

But one thing they do not restrict, which is far more destructive than an army of metal detectorists (who practice ethical target removal), is dogs in the parks. While the majority of dog owners comply with the leash law, there are those who don't give a damn and allow their dogs to run free and dig up the earth and the owners do not see fit to go to the gash their dogs left and replace the dirt into the hole.

That's one thing. But what really gets my dander up is the allowed dog runs and the solid support behind such dog runs not only from the Parks Commissioner but from local heavyweights including some politicians. When you have that kind of "firepower" we don't have a chance at convincing the powers that be that our hobby does not result in the damage that loose dogs (and sometimes leashed) do.

All in all, though, I am very glad that we at least are allowed to enjoy our hobby and some of us come away with some nice finds. Unfortunately, the majority of the better finds - old coins, tons of silver coins, jewelry - are still lying under the ground in super-protected Central Park in Manhattan. I can at least say that I got more than my share of everything from a 1787 copper to hundreds of silver coins and gold items.

Excuse me, I gotta go and request this year's permit.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look at that article as a "good news/bad news type of thing.

You get good pr, but the article mentions the banned Prospect park as a place to detect. Someone with a new detector, unexperienced and uninformed and uneducated about our basic code of ethics, is going to give us a big ole black eye.
People desperate for what they percieve to be wealth in the ground will hurry along leaving a path of destruction behind them.

I hope that these dealers are at the very least telling people to use common sense and clean up after themselves.

The one link says "pristine" park...as though they are park snobs....refering to Prospect Park. I guess it's okay to detect...just NIMBY...(Not In My Back Yard) They probably don't want you stepping in dog doo and tracking it everywhere from their pure breed dogs.

I don't see a problem with a free permit system. At least they'd know who is going to be there and can control the damage by informing anyone of what will and will not be tolerated. Education is the answer...not a ban. Post a sign, detecting by permit only.

Just hope that article doesn't back fire and people conjer up images of armies of detectorists with shovels digging craters everywhere.

Al

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Oh, New York City will be looking at one hell of a gold rush this season," said Bob Lundy, president of the Empire State Metal Detector Association.

And City Officials Will Make sure They get the Majority

Or The THers will at least Be paying big for Permits this year.

The most popular model is White's DFX Metal Detector, which has been a brisk seller despite a $1,200 price tag.

I wonder if the cities organized thieves are gearing up for a take
of their own ;D

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I've never found anything of value :wink: so I've never felt I had to declare anything. I don't think that you have to declare American coins, regardless of age, or clad or silver. Maybe gold but you'd have to be fool to declare such. I also doubt that anyone losing a ring or other type of jewelry will bother to report its loss 'cause they may feel that no one is going to turn it in since "finders, keepers" rules, most of the time. There are, after all, people who do turn in valuable items they find.

I don't think City Officials get involved in either looking at found items or if they do, claiming any. However, I do not doubt that some of the regular park workers may have sticky hands.

jeff of pa said:

And City Officials Will Make sure They get the Majority

Or The THers will at least Be paying big for Permits this year.

I wonder if the cities organized thieves are gearing up for a take
of their own ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread