Hunting in Historic Districts

S

stefen

Quick way to find out is to begin hunting...just don't do any major digging...use a screwdriver only at first...

If anybody get their panties in a twist, you're no doing any major damage.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I'm a bit confused too, I don't remember where it was said that you couldn't hunt a place if it was a registered historical site. I know some of the civil war battlefield sites are off limits and other places similar. Around here there are several places listed on the National register of Historical Places

http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/welcome.html

But it doesn't say they are off limits. Several of them are private property too. I think as long as its public property you can detect there unless they have a specific ordanance against it. If it is owned by the city/county/state and open for public use it should be OK. If I were you I would just call the people in charge of it and ask if its public property and open for use by anyone. I wouldn't even mention metal detecting, just ask if you are allowed to be there. You called this place a "public green" is that like a park or picnic area? If it is it shouldn't be any different then detecting at a schoolyard or regular park. I don't know what the laws are where you live so you should check those out before you go but if you start calling all around telling them exactly what you are wanting to do someone will say no eventually. Unfortunately a lot of people have the misconception that all we do is dig holes and kill the grass.
I have hunted 2 places here in Missouri that are listed and they are private property, they were Century Farms (farm houses over 100 years old). These were 2 of the best hunts I've ever had. One of the parks here in town was once a CC Camp, and another was the site of the first all black school houses. Both are historical sites but they are public parks and no one has ever said a word to me about being there with my detector (except for a few curious kids).
My advice is to just find out for sure who owns this place (without telling what you want to do there) if it's public property, hunt it. If it's private property ask whoever owns it if you can hunt it. If it is private property the worst they can do is say no. Good luck and happy hunting.

Charlie

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I am not 100 percent certain but I believe the Church upkeeps it, but it is definitely open to the public. This is what I found about it. " In 1895, the green was officially transferred to the First Congregational Church. It still owns and maintains the green as a public Common. "

Should I ask the Minister or just go?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Labels are confusing, aren't they?

An historic district is just that......an area that has memorable history. Part of the town I live in, several blocks are an historic district. Mostly civil war era housing. It is detectable. They (public officials) simply are pointing out that the area has something historical to attract others.

An historic site, is similar to the above, unless some private organization has bought it and maintains it. I frequently see signs that begin with "On this site once stood....". These are open to detecting. They are just trying to remember their history.

It's when you get into those huge areas that are State or Federally preserved that you cannot do. They are also pretty obvious. Battlefields come to mind right off the bat. Certain areas of state parks are off limits because of historical events....like things the CCC might have had a hand in. Checking with park rangers is a good idea to see where you can and cannot detect.

An open green as you suggest, I would detect it without a second thought.

Al

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm with Stefen on this one. I'd just go. if someone has an issue, they're welcome to tell you, and no harm done. Just don't "stick out" or go in the middle of an archie convention, etc....

If you are skittish, and think you still need to know if there's some specific prohibition, just check out the website of the governing authority (there is usually a key-word search), or read the wooden sign at the entrance to the park. The reason I say to check it out on your own (if your skittish), is that, the minute you ask some authority (or someone who THINKS they are an authority), is the minute you merely allow them to say "no", simply because they said so, even though no specific rule existed (nor would anyone have probably ever given you a second thought or even noticed you to begin with.)

If it's public, and not specifically disallowed, nor an obvious monument of some sort (the white house lawn, Shiloh, Bodie, etc...) then I would consider it no different than an old school lawn.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
There is a civil war monument on the green but that is it. The original church was built in the 1700's and the second one on almost the same spot in the early 1800's. There used to be a school there as well. I think it could be a potentially good spot. Fortunately a friend of mine knows the minister of the church and is going to ask for me.
Cross your fingers everyone that he says yes!!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Go hit it, make good conversation and be confident that you are doing no harm. Hunted many registered historic sites in the past, the few that were protected and/or off limits I did so at the invite of the caretakers who wondered aloud if there might be anything there.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
jeric2 said:
doesn't matter if it's on the historic list. If it's privately owned, the owner can still give you permission to hunt there.

This is the confusing part, although this is a public green, it is owned and maintained by the Church. From the description:

"The Ecclesiastical Society of Northbury was formed in 1739, which included present day XXXXXX and XXXXXX. Common land was set aside for the Society in 1747 on what was privately owned land that was acquired by the church. It was deeded to the society to be "used for a Public Green or Parade Ground and Burial Ground to be kept forever for the use and purpose." The green today encompasses the church, the Stoughton building next to it and the open green in front of and to the north of these buildings; about half of the original four acres of common land set aside. In 1895, the green was officially transferred to the First Congregational Church. It still owns and maintains the green as a public Common. "

So although it is public, it is still sort of private. Not to worry though, my friend will call the pastor tomorrow and see what he says.

That brings up another question that I have had on my mind. Do you need to ask churches to detect the land around them or no or just to be polite?

Thanks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As for your first "public" spot, I would not see a need to ask a neighboring church. If they mow it or whatever, doesn't change the fact that it is still public. You might just get a "no", simply because you asked (because ....... why should they be bothered?). And then what do you do if you pass by another day, and see another md'r out there digging busts and seateds, and no one bothers them or pays them any mind? You'd feel mighty sick that they got to detect it, and you didn't.

As for churches in general, they are technically private, so technically, you would need to ask. However, when I got my first md'r as a kid, in the mid 1970s, we would just waltz on to any church lawn, thinking they were sort of open-to-the-public (in much the same way that a shopping center is private, yet open to the public). For example, in my neighborhood, there is a church lawn where our Jr. High bus stop was. So upon getting my first detector, it was a natural to hit where our school bus picked us up each day, eh? We did not concern ourselves with where the street portion of the lawn ended, and the church portion of the lawn started, as it all sort of morphed together. But hey, that was 30+ yrs. ago, so maybe things were a little more innocent then :)

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
I've hunted a few historic churches on the list and simply asked the preacher or whoever is in charge at the church. They are generally more than happy to oblige. Just stay away from the cemeteries.
Generally, unless there was a property easement, you can still hunt there as long as you get permission from whoever owns or runs it. I haven't had this issue at all and I hunt on historic properties that are listed once permission is received.

Definitely ask if you want to detect anywhere, including a church. They are generally more receptive than anyone else to allow you to detect from my experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions